iPhone Megathread (Includes iPhone 4 and iOS4)

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
This one needs very little explication indeed. Netflix has just officially confirmed that its currently iPad-only app will be trickling down to the smaller iPhone OS devices. It's all very teasing and noncommittal as far as the timeframe goes, but who's not excited about getting the "dessert" to the iPad's main course?

Cool!

apple-wwdc-2010-120-rm-eng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
RedEye Mini dongle now on sale for $49!

redeye-mini-couch.jpg

Via Engadget

You've heard about it for months, and now the universal remote that looks nothing like a universal remote is finally on sale in 52 nations. Thinkflood's RedEye Mini -- which simply plugs into the headphone jack of your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch -- can now be procured for $49, and when used with the gratis app in the App Store, can control anything in your home entertainment setup that accepts IR commands. ZDNet was fortunate enough to get a little hands-on time with the device, and their early impressions are quite positive. In fact, they recommend skipping the Harmony hoopla and heading right for this if you're already an iDevice owner (who doesn't use an imposing case or Bumper), and at a buck under a Grant, we certainly aren't in a position to argue.

thinkflood-redeye-mini-7.jpg

thinkflood-redeye-mini-6.jpg

thinkflood-redeye-mini-4.jpg

thinkflood-redeye-mini-5.jpg

iPhone headed for T-Mobile USA in Q3?

via engadget

We hear so many iPhone-Verizon-tomorrow-OMG rumors that our nation's brave also-ran carriers hardly get a word in edgewise. While Sprint remains a total longshot, T-Mobile USA is an interesting proposition for the mere fact that it's a GSM network, though its 1700 / 2100 3G network remains ostensibly incompatible with the iPhone 4's existing radio. According to Cult of Mac, a "highly placed source" at T-Mobile let it slip that they've got an 80 percent chance of getting the iPhone in Q3. Now, that's an oddly specific number, and we have no idea what it's contingent on, or how much exactly this source knows. Basically, we don't know a lot here. Of course, the biggest evidence of this possible T-Mobile coup remains the statement from Deutsche Telekom's CEO in March, saying that the USA branch is hoping to get the iPhone later this year. We really don't know who or what to believe, but we do know one thing: if Apple decides to sell a T-Mobile USA iPhone, there's an 80+ percent chance it will tell everybody.

I hope not, I don't need a strain in the network lol nor an increase in the cost of plans.

Posted from my BlackBerry

iOS 4.2 beta hits Apple's developer portal, wireless printing dubbed 'AirPrint'

ios4.2beta.jpg

If you're an iOS developer (or good friends with one), today is going to be totally awesome. Apple has just let loose the official iOS 4.2 beta builds for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch -- meaning that someone somewhere is going to be experiencing multitasking on the 'pad (sans jailbreaking, of course). Additionally, Apple has decided to bestow a name upon its new printing experience (the direct-to-printer tech the company showed off at its fall event). And that name? AirPrint. In a piece of PR just issued by Apple (available to read after the break), it's noted that owners of HP products with ePrint tech will be the first to take advantage of the new tool -- so that's something.

Of course, all that news should be lost in a cloud of excitement over 4.2. As usual, we're going to take the OS for a spin on our developer iPad here and see what's what, and then report back to you cats and kittens about whatever nuggets of joy we find. Stay tuned!

Verizon Is Getting The iPhone, Confirmed!

Although AT&T has exclusivity over the iPhone, it won't last much longer!

Apple Inc. will begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of the year, allowing Verizon Wireless to sell the phone early next year.

The new iPhone will be similar in design to the iPhone 4, but based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon. It is expected to be available during the first quarter of next year.

Read more and check out videos here.

Verizon Is Getting The iPhone, Confirmed!

Although AT&T has exclusivity over the iPhone, it won't last much longer!

Apple Inc. will begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of the year, allowing Verizon Wireless to sell the phone early next year.

The new iPhone will be similar in design to the iPhone 4, but based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon. It is expected to be available during the first quarter of next year.

Read more and check out videos here.

Hmm strange,apple already makes a cdma iphone for one of our canadian providers called telus,its the same as the gsm version

Hmm strange,apple already makes a cdma iphone for one of our canadian providers called telus,its the same as the gsm version

I am sure there are other CDMA iPhones in the world, the reason why it wasn't on Verizon before was because of the exclusivity deal that ATT had. I am sure that deal covered the first 4. Details never emerged as to which iPhones and the length of the deal was.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I was in tears watching this. It reminds my of my friend. Stupid Iphone.

WSJ: Verizon to Announce iPhone on Tuesday

The iPhone is finally coming to Verizon Wireless.

The largest U.S. wireless carrier will make the long-awaited announcement at an event Tuesday in New York City, a person familiar with the matter said Friday.

The move will for the first time let U.S. consumers choose the network that carries their iPhone and perhaps give them additional pricing options that could affect their monthly bills.

Access thousands of business sources not available on the free web. Learn More

It will also upend the balance of power in the industry, ending Verizon rival AT&T Inc.'s exclusive hold on the device and leaving smaller players like Sprint Nextel Corp. and T-Mobile USA facing two well-capitalized competitors offering the world's most popular smartphone.

It wasn't immediately clear when Verizon would have the device in stores.

The Verizon phone will be similar to the iPhone 4 but run on the carrier's CDMA technology, people familiar with the matter have said.

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture between Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group Plc.

Apple is moving to expand its carrier base in the U.S. at a time when it is facing increasing pressure from phones powered by rival Google Inc.'s operating system, called Android.

Google gives its software away, hoping to stake out space on mobile phones where it can sell ads and other services.

Android-based phones passed the iPhone in sales in the second quarter, according to research firm Gartner. The surge appeared to get to Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, who made a rare appearance on a conference call with analysts in October and criticized Android as fragmented, referring to the myriad ways the software appears on the many different phones that use it.

AT&T has had the iconic device to itself since its introduction in June 2007.

Since then, the iPhone has fueled much of the carrier's subscriber growth and has given it a solid lead in smartphone customers.

The arrangement between Apple and AT&T was groundbreaking at a time when carriers tightly controlled the appearance and function of their phones, and effectively put Silicon Valley companies like Apple and Google in the wireless industry's driver's seat.

Apple feels it has had tremendous success through its exclusive relationship with AT&T, but it recognized that it needs to partner with Verizon to grow sales faster in the U.S., a person familiar with the matter said.

"It's a big boost for Apple," said Tim Ghriskey, chief investment officer of New York-based Solaris Asset Managmenet which counts Apple in its portfolio worth $2 billion. "It opens up a huge uninstalled base for them in this country."

I work 2 blocks from the Verizon HQ in Manhattan, today at lunch there was a big craze about tuesday's announcement.

Im not too crazy about the Iphone myself, i'll stick with my blackberry.