Kinect - Megathread - Confirmed Cost $150

Apr 2, 2009
prjctntl-f_2-580.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/project-natal-video-features-smack-talking-scruffy-teenagers/

see demo there if you don't know what natal is.

but what do you guys think, is this something you're looking forward to? i know when i saw the demo back at E3, i said to myself...awesome, a good reason to not sell my 360 :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the demo was very impressive. I can totally see myself changing gears on that racing game! :scat:

I am just a bit worried about the price, if it's priced at a affordable price sure I will have this at home otherwise forget it.

This looks like a very good piece of software/hardware I hope they are able to make it better.

I don't think it will be that big. At least to me it's not. How healthy is it to make friends with an ai like they showed at E3? As for the video you posted xtop, it does look a lot more interesting than what they showed at E3. I could see games like that catching on. But....I was thinking, some games will cancel someone out who is disabled or injured for a while and can't be active on their feet. I think it's too early to say for sure though whether it will be huge or not.

Bust....I don't want to live my games....
It's like a book, I love to read but I don't want to be in the book, I'd rather imagine it my own way

So it's "Regular" controllers for me....I fell for the Motion crap once, got Wii launch day, played Zelda, didn't play it again until Smash and I didn't even use a motion controller for that...

the 360 is pretty awesome. what you talkin' bout wilis

The 360 port of HL2? are you serious man? pop it in your PC and then come say it looks good on 360 ;)

Valve half-assed the port, which sucked. I might consider buying it if this Natal thing actually supports it :) I want that racing game on the E3 video

2010 Project Natal launch and Xbox Game Room leaked in CES interview

Microsoft's CES keynote doesn't begin for a few hours still, but it looks as it the crux of the consumer electronics news from it is already flowing. Purportedly, a leaked interview (that has since been yanked) showed Robbie Bach, President of the Entertainment & Devices Division, talking up two things of utmost importance. The first of which is Project Natal, which is Redmond's attempt to add full-body interaction to the game console. The news? It's looking like 2010 really will be the year said product hits the shelves, and it's seeming more and more likely that the well-known Natal moniker will stick for retail. The other bit is a so-called Xbox Game Room, which is "supposed to bring back that retro fun to gaming." That's fairly ambiguous, but we can't say that our interest isn't piqued. Hang tight for what we hope will be the official announcement later this evening -- the day has only just begun, you know?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/2010-project-natal-launch-and-xbox-game-room-purportedly-leaked/

After getting a official word from the management, Project Natal's launch has been announced as coming before Christmas, and with this, more details have started flowing. Most of them come from the CES 2010, and some are more interesting than others. New Scientist has been awarded the honor of an actual demonstration of Natal at work, and its reporter has even received some exact technical details.

According to Project Natal's lead developer, Alex Kipman, “Natal consumes just 10 to 15 per cent of the Xbox's computing resources and it can recognise any pose in just 10 milliseconds. It needs only 160 milliseconds to latch on to the body shape of a new user stepping in front of it.” He further explains that, “The system locates body parts to within a 4-centimetre cube [...].
That's far less precise than lab-based systems or the millimetre precision of Hollywood motion capture. But Douglas Lanman, who works on markerless 3D interaction at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, and is not involved with Natal, says that this will likely be accurate enough for gamers.”

While that general statement is rather discouraging, and somewhat hurtful as well, it looks like Microsoft's Natal will get its own “Motion Plus” sometime in the future as well. As for the part in which it is revealed that the controller will take up some of the Xbox 360's processing power, it looks like this could be an actual problem. While 10, 15% may not sound like much, there are a lot of developers out there that push the console to its very limits, making their games so that every last bit of available resource can be put to use. So, the top-of-the-line, high-end games of tomorrow may prove to be too much to run at the same time as Natal on an Xbox 360.

Another thing that may have been revealed at the CES 2010 is that Project Natal will no longer have an incorporated processor of its own. At E3 2009, the controller's description read that, “Project Natal combines an RGB camera, depth sensor, multiarray microphone and custom processor running proprietary software,” while the CES 2010 description has been narrowed down, and the “custom processor” has been entirely dropped.

Another thing that Kipman explains about Natal is that the system relies on a “50-megabyte software package that can recognize 31 different body parts in any video frame” that will even be able to tell if you're holding your hand behind your back, as opposed to automatically calling 911, believing that you've just lost an arm. Still, the true question behind this statement is which are these 31 body parts, because a simple mind can't really come up with that number by simply staring at the mirror and pondering.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CES-...Natal-Accurate-Enough-for-Gamers-131576.shtml

Project Natal street date leaked

The exact details of Project Natal’s release remain unknown; but it has seemed certain for months now that it would launch in October or November 2010. A source close to Activision – who are supporting Natal from day one – has given Critical Gamer what they say is the official, but as yet unannounced, street date. So, what’s the date for your diaries?

November 16th, according to our Mr/Mrs X. That’s a Tuesday; which is unusual here in the UK, where most new game – related releases officially hit the shelves on a Friday. Whenever a game is released here on a Tuesday it’s usually to coincide with a US or worldwide street date. So if this date is correct, it seems safe to assume that this is when Natal will be released across all markets.

If there’s any mix up at all, it would be that this is the date of Activision’s game (details of Natal launch games to follow soon) and not Natal itself. Impossible? Nope. We remember the surreal sight of Condemned on the shelves a week before it was possible to buy an Xbox 360 to play it on…

Nonetheless, our source was adamant that this is the street date issued to those in the industry on a ‘need to know’ basis for Natal. If we’re proven wrong at E3, then do please come back to this post and comment, telling us how foolish we look. If we’re right – and we’ll stick our collective neck out and say that we are right – then please come back and tell us how awesome we are.