Kubo and The Two Strings (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Italy]

Sep 23, 2013
Release date: May 23, 2018
Purchase links: DVD-Store - Amazon IT
Price: €14.90 (DVD-Store) - €18.62 (Amazon)

61g8zuwgo8L._SY550_.jpg

8160zjkUixL._SL1500_.jpg
81v-mRc-UuL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes yes yes yes yes yes!! I imagine the art will change, but I'll even take it as is. I've just so wanted this movie in its own steel.

Reactions: ChrisPatt
Actually, looking at it more, I do like this artwork. Nice balance with the circles on front and back, good thematic hints of storm turning to beauty, nice clean typography on the spine. And I always love a wraparound cover. A quick scan of the official posters (ahem... I said "A quick scan of the official posters," @virkia) doesn't turn up anything particularly inspired. So something original will be just fine with me.

Is it too early and foolish to hope for an HDZ Silver?

Charmingly idiosyncratic Impressionist painterly artwork reminding me of a bit of a couple of oils on board in similar style at home . . .
upload_2018-2-9_15-14-6.png
upload_2018-2-9_15-17-13.png
upload_2018-2-9_16-21-11.png

. . . as well as morphing creature prints by Escher . . . with the waves here morphing into gulls/doves(?):-
Escher's "Metamorphosis II" .......................................................................................................................... and "Night and Day"
upload_2018-2-9_14-20-58.png
upload_2018-2-9_14-28-32.png
upload_2018-2-9_16-23-26.png

@ethnosax - as for the official images: not a fan of the majority . . . and not a fan of the Mondo poster either . . .
. . . but I do quite like these two in Japanese print style - one on the left clearly inspired by the official poster alongside ............................ and the other (which is maybe too elegant for the steelbook and not "popular" enough):-
upload_2018-2-9_13-51-4.png
upload_2018-2-9_13-55-44.png
upload_2018-2-9_14-3-12.png

The KUBO Mondo poster variants morphing:-
Kubo_Poster_Seps.gif

Last edited:
I agree, not a fan of the Mondo Moreno or the Ferguson (it's beautiful, but a bit too static and peaceful for the story). The only other art I know of is the Mondo vinyl cover, also by Moreno, which makes Kubo look kind of odd (to my eyes, at least):

unnamed2-516x500.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: rj531
I tried watching this film and I lost interest and fell asleep after about 20 mins! My 10 year old even ended up turning it off eventually!

It's soooooooo boring!!! This is from someone who LOVES animation by the way....

Just could not get into this one.

I tried watching this film and I lost interest and fell asleep after about 20 mins! My 10 year old even ended up turning it off eventually!

It's soooooooo boring!!! This is from someone who LOVES animation by the way....

Sure, these are all just opinions, there's no right or wrong.

But in this case, you are wrong. ;)

I mean it's not Pixar if that's what you were looking for. 20 mins isn't really giving it a fair shake.. you should give it another go when you're less sleepy and in a more relaxed mood. It has plenty of fans for a reason :thumbs:.

I mean it's not Pixar if that's what you were looking for. 20 mins isn't really giving it a fair shake.. you should give it another go when you're less sleepy and in a more relaxed mood. It has plenty of fans for a reason :thumbs:.
I watch all types of animation. I was even very close to becoming an animator myself at one point.

I loved Coraline. But I think if a film doesn't grab your attention and hook you in within 20 mins then theres a problem with the pacing.

Remember, this film is primarily aimed at attention span challenged little men and women also!

I must try and give it another chance some time...

• Thanks
Reactions: lgans316
The Ferguson poster does look pretty good on a steelbook, actually. :) I don't know what to put on the back, but here's an idea for the front, at least:

View attachment 357836

Wow. ^ This is the ideal artwork for this release....

But if that's not possible- I'll take what's listed. I personally like this type of art style as opposed to the clear styles that all the posters have had.
Now I'm just hoping for a). A domestic release and b). a title on the front.