Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Purchase:
Amazon US
Amazon UK

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is an upcoming action role-playing video game set in The Lord of the Rings universe, currently being developed by Monolith Productions and due to be released by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game will bridge the gap between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings saga and is due for release on PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. The game is currently slated for a release in 2014.

Gameplay:

In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, the player plays as a ranger with Wraith-like abilities by the name of Talion. The game is an open world video game and players will have the freedom to pursue side quests and roam around the world.

The game makes use of a new system called the Nemesis System which remembers the player's interactions with specific types of characters they will encounter in the game and adjusts the manner in which these characters will react to the player throughout the game. The player will have the option to level up the abilities of Talion both as a ranger and as a Wraith through two distinct skill trees.

Plot:

The game takes place between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, as written by J.R.R. Tolkien. The family of ranger Talion is killed by Sauron's armies, and he himself is also killed, but soon revived with "wraith-like abilities" and heads to Mordor to exact his revenge. Mordor is not yet a barren wasteland in this story.

The story involves the Rings of Power, but the story is separate to The Lord of the Rings canon. However, Warner Bros. maintains that the stories will align. The player will encounter Gollum in the game, discovering that Talion and Gollum have a lot in common.

Attachments

• som.png
    som.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,509
Last edited:
New info!

Monolith Productions is doing "whatever we can" to ensure feature parity between the Xbox 360, PS3 versions of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and the Xbox One, PS4 offerings. But the developer admits this may be an impossibility and reveals the game's core hook, the Nemesis system driving its procedurally-generated enemies, will likely lack some complexity on Xbox 360 and PS3 when the game launches this year.

"To break it down, some of the stuff we're pretty confident will still be very similar on current gen: the core mechanics, like combat, stealth, ranged and movements; the basic control and gameplay, that should all be really solid," Monolith Design Director Michael De Plater told IGN. "What it won't have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the 'Nemesis system.'" De Plater added that the Nemesis system is "just so huge in terms of content, calculations and AI we'll just have to try and get as much of it in as we can."

The Nemesis system is the mechanic driving Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor's core gameplay loop. Protagonist Talion, on a mission of revenge, explores Mordor and isolates Orcs in order to extract information on Sauron's army. This information reveals not only Orc hierarchy, but also the vulnerabilities and strengths of individual Orc commanders, each of which are procedurally-generated by the game.

We were able to go in-depth with Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system last month, though admittedly all we saw was the next-gen version running on a high-end PC. Monolith was unwilling to discuss the planned Xbox 360 and PS3 versions at the time.

This game is looking pretty awesome to be honest!

Reactions: Scary Hair
We all enjoyed war in north. Really looking forward to this should be a interesting edition to the lotr catalogue. Fellow Ninjas how do you think it will tie in with the lotr timeline?:dunno::wtf:

Bloodsnake007 War In The North IS AMAZING:scat:. Worth it for Beleram one of the giant Eagles. The openworld is Fantastic.

One of my Mega Favourite's up thire with Deus Ex Human Revaluation. Full personalisation of each character each main one has thire own ability's.

A class act of a game we love it.

I hate to say it but Pandamonium IS Right it ties in flipping well with the films.

May just be getting a stronger PS4 wibble wobble :ohno:.

Surprisingly, the scores do make this game seem like a good one. I've had serious doubts about it, but it might just be worth the purchase when it goes on sale come November.

@adrenaline78 I think the story is alright. It supplements the open world nicely, it isn't a mind blowing story or anything, imo just does it's job. I think the first 4 hours I played I just ran around and side missions and ruined the day for some orcs lol.

The nemesis system is pretty awesome. I was going for a trophy, the one where you need to kill all warchiefs before any new orc take their place and by playing through the story I had all dead but one...for some reason I went to advance time at one of the towers and doing that makes orcs rank up and move around the army board. Now there's 3 new warchiefs :( The worst thing is one of them is a guy I cannot kill lol, he is immune to combat attacks (sword) and immune to ranged attacks but can be one hit kill by stealth..Not sure if it's possible to stealth attack a warchief but I shall try.