Official Mac Thread

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Yes I went there!

Let's keep it clean, I know we got a few peeps that have Macs I'd like to get a thread going so they can share their knowledge.

I am rookie in this field. I know how to get around the system, but if I get stuck I don't know what to do other than hold the power button and turn off the system.

Any software recommendations, tools, utilities that are must have? let's share some tips!

*No bashing will be tolerated! If you got nothing productive to post please keep it to yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
WD® Gives Mac® Users the First 2 TB Portable Hard Drive for All Their Digital Content

Western Digital

New My Passport® Studio™ Maintains Classic All-Metal Design and Dual FireWire 800 Ports For All-in-One Solution to Backup, Store, Protect, and Transport Files

mypassportstudio-wd.jpg

IRVINE, Calif., April 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Western Digital® (NYSE: WDC) today introduced the first 2 TB capacity portable drive dedicated for Mac® customers, My Passport® Studio™. This new standard in high storage capacity, along with Apple® Time Machine® compatibility for quick and easy automatic backup of Mac hard drives, allows Mac users to use one drive for the protection and transport of virtually all their digital content, everywhere they go. The new My Passport Studio portable drive maintains its elegant and protective all-metal casing to complement the MacBook® Pro or MacBook® Air®, providing the beautiful aesthetic that Mac users expect while increasing storage capacity to 2 TB, enough space for approximately 400,000 photos, 240 hours of video or 500,000 songs(1).

In addition to the USB 2.0 interface, My Passport Studio's two high performance FireWire® 800 ports, makes it perfect for active and mobile creative professionals including photographers, videographers, graphic artists, and others who need the speed, capacity, and flexibility to access content anytime or anywhere. The dual FireWire ports provide blazing fast upload and transfer speeds while also allowing users to daisy chain additional drives or other peripherals such as HD camcorders. My Passport Studio also features hardware-based encryption and password protection software, and an all-metal design constructed for a sturdy feel in your hand and scratch resistance.

"The My Passport Studio is a perfect companion for the MacBook Pro and for creative professionals on the go," explains Jody Bradshaw, senior director and general manager of WD's consumer storage products group. "For those who create large content files such as photographers and videographers, they will now be able to carry it with them wherever they go, as well as create a backup copy of everything they produce without fear of running out of additional storage while on location."

I have to sometimes transfer files bigger than 4GB, but Apple's stubborness to stick to FAT drives me nuts. I am no longer using Mac OS X as my main OS for my work laptop. I am just running bootcamp :p.

Mac Flashback Trojan: Find Out If You’re One of the 600,000 Infected

Gizmodo

There's a new Mac trojan that's been floating around, and it's terrifying everyone. It's written in an unknown language, doesn't even need your password to compromise you, and now it's apparently infected 600,000 users. Here's how to use Terminal to check if you're one of the unlucky many. The instructions come from F-Secure, which also details how you can remove the trojan if your Mac is, in fact affected. But let's not put the cart before the virus; here's how to see if you're clean.
First, open Terminal from your Utilities folder. If you've never ever done that before, don't be scared! It's a nice way to turn your Mac into a computer you actually have some control over.

Then, once you're in, follow these easy steps to detection:
1. Run the following command in Terminal:
defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment
2. Take note of the value, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
3. Proceed to step 8 if you got the following error message:
"The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info, LSEnvironment) does not exist"
If you don't get that error message, well, time to head to F-Secure for your fix. If you're clean so far, you can move on to step eight:
8. Run the following command in Terminal:
defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
9. Take note of the result. Your system is already clean of this variant if you got an error message similar to the following:
"The domain/default pair of (/Users/joe/.MacOSX/environment, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES) does not exist"
In other words: "does not exist" means you've got a healthy rig. Anything else, just keep following F-Secure's instructions to vanquish the intruder. And even if you get the all clear for now, don't wait on downloading the security update that patches the Java vulnerability that started this whole mess. [F-Secure via Ars]

Wow nobody has posted in here for over a year. Well I'm here to resurrect this thread. :scat: Is anyone planning on donating there left kidney for the new Mac Pro. :drool: In the order process where you get to customize your Mac Pro I decided to max it out, almost $10k for one but it is a BEAST! EEK! I guess I'll just have to settle for my Mac Mini for now.

I thought that I'd share some apps that I use on my Mac Mini. :thumbs:

AppCleaner - Awesome for totally uninstalling an app instead of just deleting it.
app-cleaner.png

Memory Scope - For checking how much RAM your apps are pulling and an option to free memory.
130971_1.jpg

Parallels - I can run windows within the OS X. This app is truly indispensable. :scat:
01761226-photo-parallels-desktop-pour-mac-4-0.jpg

Tuxera NTFS - I can open NTFS Windows volumes right from within OS X and read and write to it. Another must have app. :scat:
mavericks2.jpg

XtraFinder - Another WOW app. A must have for any MAc user. There's also TotalFinder too but I think XtraFinder is better. If you want to customize Finder to do just about anything. I found out about it when I was looking for an app to Cut & Paste. It will also colorize your left sidebar. Here's two screenshots of just a little of what it can do.
XtraFinderScreenshot2.png
XtraFinderScreenshot3.png

Movie Collector - For cataloging your movie collection.
backdrop.jpg

Final Cut Pro - This is pretty expensive falling at mere $300 but there are other ways to obtain it. hrm....
Final-Cut-Pro-on-Mac-on-Mevvy.com-5.jpg

Aperture 3 - This does a lot of what Photoshop does but it's in it's own sort of ball park.
1_Aperture_3_full-screen_edit.jpg

ScreenFlow - Screen recording and editing software. Again not cheap falling at $100.
screenflow-slide-1.jpg

XBMC
Pages
Numbers
Photoshop
Vuze

...just to name a few. :D

Cool apps there man^^

I've got a 2012 MacBook Pro 15 inch. I really love it, and I also threw some extra RAM in there and a 256 SSD. It runs perfect now, really powerful, fast and smooth. :)

NOTHING compared to that new Mac Pro though lmao that **** is craaazy... Hah

Yeah that Mac Pro seems to cater to those with loads of money. :(

I'm about to upgrade my Mac Mini from 4 to 16Gb of RAM and a 750GB SSD. Samsung has one for $400 in case your looking to upgrade again. NewEgg I'm going to convert it from a single drive Mac Mini to a dual drive one with a data doubler kit. Right now I'm seriously low on available memory. I guess I have to many apps. :p

I've just swapped from a Pc to a IMac... Loving it at the minute, moved my itunes after 4hrs lol... Reading back over the last few posts... Where do you gets from for the iMac? App Store like everything else? Thanks.... Any tips out there? Also what about antivirus?

I've just swapped from a Pc to a IMac... Loving it at the minute, moved my itunes after 4hrs lol... Reading back over the last few posts... Where do you gets from for the iMac? App Store like everything else? Thanks.... Any tips out there? Also what about antivirus?

No need for Antivirus, OSX doesn't get viruses. :LOL: I think there's like two viruses out there for it and the chances of your MAC coming down with a cold is slim to none. Don't get me wrong, they do make Antivirus for the MAC but it's for like the super paranoid. :ohno:

No need for Antivirus, OSX doesn't get viruses. :LOL: I think there's like two viruses out there for it and the chances of your MAC coming down with a cold is slim to none. Don't get me wrong, they do make Antivirus for the MAC but it's for like the super paranoid. :ohno:

Thanks for that, I didn't think it was needed... It's not like I'm downloading stuff anyway will keep my old PC for that.... This imac is for my media mostly and browsing the net.... It's a beautiful machine....

When I boot it up! It automatically runs the messages & emails can I stop it from doing this? So it just opens them when I choose?

When you go to Restart or Shutdown there is a checkbox to open application back up when it boots back up. Uncheck that. Also close the application before you reboot/shutdown. When your application is open for example Mail, go up to the menu bar and click where it says Mail and select it and drill down to where it says Close Mail. That will actually close it where it's not running in the background. I do think that Mail is always running so long as you have an email account loaded into it.