Play to close down their retail business...what does this mean for UK steelbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpeat

Premium Supporter
Jan 23, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Sorry if this is the wrong place but as it directly affects steelbooks (especially exclusives) in the UK I thought it would be a good heads up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

The news saddens me as Play were one of the best steelbook retailers. Their packaging and exclusives were second to none. I just hope someone picks up the baton........amazon I'm looking at you!

Just placed my, what I think to be, last Order at play.com (unless there are some really good discounts coming). One of the Items, the Shaun of the Dead Steelbook, was sold by zoverstocks. Now I'm concerned about their packaging. Do they protect the Steelbooks as good as play.com itself?

Just packing up a few steelbooks and I'm feeling really nostalgic:

B7768A73-DC53-4618-B260-953972EC4EB6-5060-00000357B1D13EE3.jpg

And this one sums up exactly what we are losing, a retailer that acted on feedback! :(

D2B9F0DC-310A-43D9-A26D-32A7AA757F1C-5060-00000357C0160751.jpg

Just placed my, what I think to be, last Order at play.com (unless there are some really good discounts coming). One of the Items, the Shaun of the Dead Steelbook, was sold by zoverstocks. Now I'm concerned about their packaging. Do they protect the Steelbooks as good as play.com itself?

They are playtrade and can pack as they see fit. Have no experience of them but you can email thm with your order number and ask for box and bubble I suppose.

Hey everyone, I have a question.

Recently I ordered 2 steelbooks from Play.com but unfortunately they got stuck in the customs. But as I have no interest in paying any custom fees I am probably not gonna check them out.
And according to my note I got from customs the last day they are going to keep them is 7.2. and after that they will return the items to Play.com.
But do I get refunded if I choose to not go check the steelbooks out and just let them return the packages?

What if.... PLAY.com closing down, they find unopened boxes of PLAY.com steelbooks under the piles of other cack that nobody buys, including IM, Terminator, Star Trek, then one morning you wake up, check HDN to find the forums have gone crazy with posts on revived steelbooks saying "Its IN STOCK!!", "Ordered!!", "WHoa, I cant believe I got one" and "Processing in warehouse, Yeaaay!!"

What if...

What if.... PLAY.com closing down, they find unopened boxes of PLAY.com steelbooks under the piles of other cack that nobody buys, including IM, Terminator, Star Trek, then one morning you wake up, check HDN to find the forums have gone crazy with posts on revived steelbooks saying "Its IN STOCK!!", "Ordered!!", "WHoa, I cant believe I got one" and "Processing in warehouse, Yeaaay!!"

What if...

I Was thinking the same thing ... who knows : 1st Iron Man & Predator could be great for me

they sure are testing the market with these ..... 13.99 ... geez ... werent play 9.99?

they sure are testing the market with these ..... 13.99 ... geez ... werent play 9.99?

Yes they were. These are only really worth it for those who can't order from Play.com though I can't see them lasting long if this is just left over stock.

Well, price is not bad considering Play doesn't ship overseas, and some folks may have missed the group buys, I guess.

The owners of Play sold it to the Japanese Rakuten group just at the right time as they were losing money like a sinking ship which is why they went to an ebay style site, merchants/playtraders only, its pure profit except for having to retain a couple of customer services staff, I think I read a loss of 22 Million since they sold up, I used to buy nearly alot of steelbooks from Play.

The one that was the worst experience was X-Men: First Class Steelbook, before they used the boxes with foam arrived snapped in half and they could only give a refund as stock was sold out so Amazon France won my money with there much better version that was embossed and also came with a book :scat:

Status
Not open for further replies.