Play to close down their retail business...what does this mean for UK steelbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpeat

Premium Supporter
Jan 23, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Sorry if this is the wrong place but as it directly affects steelbooks (especially exclusives) in the UK I thought it would be a good heads up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

The news saddens me as Play were one of the best steelbook retailers. Their packaging and exclusives were second to none. I just hope someone picks up the baton........amazon I'm looking at you!

That's very surprising, I must say. Will be sad to see this happen... I've never been a big fan of their marketplace.

Reactions: Cymon H
That is bad news, looks like the end of the play exclusive Steelbooks. It's a Shame as there packaging was top notch and there prices were good. It looks like the end of the cheap Steelbooks.

Oh no I hope this never happens, Play.com gave us premium steelbooks that no other UK retailer ever dreamed of, this is indeed a sad news for steelbook collectors.

Expect all Play.com Exclusive steelbook prices to shoot up in price when this happen.

Wow! This is going to be a red hot thread today and not for the right reasons :(

Not only the threat of losing the great steelbook releases, but more importantly (to me anyway) what does it mean for the great Ninja community? - nearly everyone I've got to know here has been through helping overseas Ninjas with Play.com releases....

Oh God, this goes some way to explaining why I'm quickly running out pre-orders at Play. Will Lawless be the last exclusive steel?

Sad.

Yeah I imagine this is why there has been no news of any upcoming Steelbooks. This isn't good news for Steelbook collectors, a lot of the best Steelbooks of last year came from play, they were setting the standard.

You'd think that if this was a successful venture (and it did seem to be), someone else would want to pick it up. Not that there are a lot of options (HMV? Amazon?)

so basically it will become what the amazon marketplace is i guess.
that sucks. play always seem to put a bit of effort in to their steelbooks

My first thoughts are with those about to lose their jobs. Then I begin to wonder how this affects their steel book enterprise, a part of me seriously doubts they will give up on such a profitable line of business. The guys across the pond have some shocking news to wake up to.

Reactions: Bluprint
Genuinely gutted on this news play.com were the best steelbook retailer of 2012!

They really did throw down the gauntlet to everyone, and nobody came anywhere near them! Looks like i'll have to cash in on my super points, maybe pick up another lawless steelie since it'll probably be their last exclusive.

Reactions: Bluprint
Status
Not open for further replies.