Play to close down their retail business...what does this mean for UK steelbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpeat

Premium Supporter
Jan 23, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Sorry if this is the wrong place but as it directly affects steelbooks (especially exclusives) in the UK I thought it would be a good heads up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

The news saddens me as Play were one of the best steelbook retailers. Their packaging and exclusives were second to none. I just hope someone picks up the baton........amazon I'm looking at you!

Ugh:( What a blow after so many awesome retailer releases. My thoughts are with all of the employees that need to reshuffle their jobs, and families in this economy.

Reactions: travid
Thats really bad news. Now that they improved their packaging from ugly to superb they wanna shut down. I'm mostly sad because of their awesome exclusive Steelbooks of the last months. :(

Wreck do u have any updates or info directly from Play to confirm no more exclusive steelbooks to be ever released by play. Very sad day indeed. Gutted to say the least.

Sad news indeed, especially for any employees who are affected :(

Wreck do u have any updates or info directly from Play to confirm no more exclusive steelbooks to be ever released by play. Very sad day indeed. Gutted to say the least.

I'm wondering the same. Maybe play.com could somehow keep their exclusives... or am i dreaming here? :(

Very disappointing, hopefully another company can take up the reigns of steelbook selling, maybe time for amazon to start selling exclusives, the other amazon sites do.

Or maybe the hut group.

If there's a market for it, it will be filled.

Genuinely pissed off by this news. Play as said above were hands down the best Steelbook retailer of the past year. And all because the UK government wanted to squeeze a few extra pennys out of Jersey, but happy blow millions on botched train line deals and MP benefits.

Very disappointing, hopefully another company can take up the reigns of steelbook selling, maybe time for amazon to start selling exclusives, the other amazon sites do.

Or maybe the hut group.

If there's a market for it, it will be filled.

Are you serious? No way on earth do I want any of The Hut Group retailers to fill this void - They'll send your steelbooks in just a Bubble-wrapped envelope!!! You can forget card board boxes with them!

HMV or Amazon should take over, but I hope to god that play.com continue their steelbook line.

Wow, I'm speechless! I guess now is the time to snap up what exclusive steelbook stock they have left...

Genuinely pissed off by this news. Play as said above were hands down the best Steelbook retailer of the past year. And all because the UK government wanted to squeeze a few extra pennys out of Jersey, but happy blow millions on botched train line deals and MP benefits.

yep this government truly are scumbags

Now thats sad news... i never expected that!

Im wondering if we can ever redo what we did Play and influence another retailer to pick up what it seamed like a profitable market for Play, and have them release cheap and quality exclusive steelbooks and on the other hand improve their costumer service by improving their steelbook packaging...

Yep, that's what it all boils down to... our greedy government. What does it matter if a few hundred people lose their jobs and people start buying even less from retailers? As if we weren't struggling enough as it is.

Although it already seems to be set in stone, I really hope Play manage to find a way around this... if not for us collectors, then at least for those whose jobs are on the line!

Status
Not open for further replies.