Play to close down their retail business...what does this mean for UK steelbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpeat

Premium Supporter
Jan 23, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Sorry if this is the wrong place but as it directly affects steelbooks (especially exclusives) in the UK I thought it would be a good heads up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

The news saddens me as Play were one of the best steelbook retailers. Their packaging and exclusives were second to none. I just hope someone picks up the baton........amazon I'm looking at you!

Now that explains how hmv are getting all the new exclusives with higher prices. What happens to all their stock of unsold titles??? Do they get sent back to film distributor or will the recent fall in prices of some titles indicate more price reductions for a clearout?

Man I'm gutted!

Firstly the people and families who will be affected by this.. It must be so hard to have done so well in 2012 and now be told... You're done.

Secondly... Us collectors have just taken a massive hit.

I'm speechless.

Surely with such a profitable working business model someone has to fill this massive gap in the market?

What about us... Would be great to have a HDN UK store lol

Wreck do u have any updates or info directly from Play to confirm no more exclusive steelbooks to be ever released by play. Very sad day indeed. Gutted to say the least.

Oh dear.... No wonder no announcements were made about more upcoming steels.

It's not much of a reach, but yes, Lawless will be the last exclusive steelbook released from play.com.

Sad to hear about all of these folks and their families. :(

I for one have been impressed by the professionalism and devotion to their jobs by the people that I have interacted with over the last few months.

They certainly will be missed.

Now that explains how hmv are getting all the new exclusives with higher prices. What happens to all their stock of unsold titles??? Do they get sent back to film distributor or will the recent fall in prices of some titles indicate more price reductions for a clearout?

The distributor will likely send them on to other retailers, any copies that remain unsold.

The risk with those is that one would not know their condition after changing hands to a new retailer. :ohno:

Anything like Lawless, that is close to selling out, will likely be gone before next week from play.com.

What a bummer! I had high hopes for play this year and really thought they would release more top notch films. Looks like it is back to square one for the UK steelbook collectors.

sad news for the people who are losing their jobs, last yr we were very lucky with all the steelbook releases from play and hmv and in just a few months time it looks like hmv will be out of business, hopefully somebody will take over the steelbook side of things.

sad news for the people who are losing their jobs, last yr we were very lucky with all the steelbook releases from play and hmv and in just a few months time it looks like hmv will be out of business, hopefully somebody will take over the steelbook side of things.

That's something that also worries me.

Just been checking my account and Superpoints seem to have an expiry date of 2nd July :(

Yeah but sadly won't be any good if the company is no longer there, ask anyone with a Comet voucher.

As to the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which was really the death knell, this has been a thorn in the side of successive Governments and is essentially an avoidance scheme, the same as Amazon.co.uk, Google.uk and Starbucks et al paying no tax, or virtually no tax.

I am gutted for the employees and their families as I know that situation only too well. I have made some great friends there over the past year or so and just hope they are not affected.

playb.jpg

Never thought I'd see that !!

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW! EEK!
Didn't see that coming...

I may not be in Uk, but I loved so much their releases..... sad news... such a sad news... :(

Reactions: Bluprint
Really fad bad for the folks who lost their jobs. Frankly speaking Government was losing about 250m a year due to LVCR loopholes. These offshore companies benifitted a lot and since April 2012 they started feeling the pinch. It sucks for us collectors but for a debt ridden country these measures are required.

Last edited:
Feel sorry for employees indeed

BUT I did not support play anymore since they lost my 2 orders of Iron Man 1 and 2

Play.com got it right about half the time when it came to their exclusives, there was a lot of crap to sift through to get to the real treasure.

This isn't something the government welcomes, play.com was/is a major source of stimulation in the economy and 200 odd jobs isn't really critical (unemployment is actually falling in the UK). Play.com certainly emptied my savings account and this is precisely what the economy needs for the next year or two - spending!

HMV have always had better steelbooks anyway (one obvious exception), and have actual stores. UK steelbook collecting will live on, i'm certain.

I did not see that coming! :O Very sad and gutting news indeed :( Here I was thinking HMV are the ones going down! Who are we better off to pick up their exclusives? Amazon Im guessing?

Status
Not open for further replies.