Play to close down their retail business...what does this mean for UK steelbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpeat

Premium Supporter
Jan 23, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Sorry if this is the wrong place but as it directly affects steelbooks (especially exclusives) in the UK I thought it would be a good heads up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

The news saddens me as Play were one of the best steelbook retailers. Their packaging and exclusives were second to none. I just hope someone picks up the baton........amazon I'm looking at you!

Who told you HMV's steel are limited?

Play sold out the Iron Man steelbook in less than a week, and could have printed 20k more had they wished and sold the lot, but they didn't. That tells you all you need to know about them.

Look at the facts recently,
Drive sold out at per order
Warhorse sold out shortly after release.
Spider-Man, batman tdk, both already sold out.Amongst others.
No-one told me that.
The facts can be had by checking their listings

And where is hmv Spider-Man and batman already? Oh oop.
Don't let your mouth run away with you unless you are able to analyse what has been written first. I forgive your lack of concentration.

They may look to be OOP online, but there were plenty in store the last time I checked. Obviously you have a right to express your opinion, but you're going about it the wrong way and this isn't the time or place to be bickering about those sort of things.

The real disappointment for me is that they were finally producing some good steelbooks. Premium finishes and designs, instead of the god awful fox and horizontal waves.

A shame, as we could be back to square one even if another retailer decides to release some catalogue titles.

Think I'm going to move to Canada, look out Canucks!

Reactions: CaptainCoffee
Nooooo bloody HMV now then? Why don't Amazon UK have exclusives?
I only started collecting steelbooks because of play last year and only joined this site to find out about them!

Last edited:
Not as clueless as you, obviously. Read the bit that says 'only 20% of play exclusives are limited'. Yes that 20% includes I'm 1.
And where is hmv Spider-Man and batman already? Oh oop.
Don't let your mouth run away with you unless you are able to analyse what has been written first. I forgive your lack of concentration.

I'm not going to bother explaining why you are wrong. I'll just say that this is a huge loss to collectors all over the world and there are no positives.

Guys now calm dwn...today is a sad day for all us collectors....our primary source of some of the best steelbooks has come to an end....let us be thankful for all their efforts and empathise with those who have lost their jobs in the process apart from the infamous spine slasher. I wreckon HMV will now be the home of UK steelbooks as their slogan currently reads on their site...all others would have wider releases im sure of it. This could be the saviour of our last retailer standing so lets suppprt them and keep them alive.

HMV cannot be compared to Play.com: a company that actively listened to and acted on what their customers had to say. It's one of the reasons they were so great, they really did care about customer service!

I'm all for supporting HMV as the UK's remaining exclusive steelbook source, I just think they have to really improve their customer care otherwise we might not have any UK exclusive steelbook retailers by the end of the year.

Reactions: vurt
It means that they will no longer sell products themselves, their site will effectively be for PlayTrade sellers only. In other words, it will be like eBay and not an online store.

Edit: sorry this was a response to jayce20

Last edited:
Reactions: jayce20
Look at the facts recently,
Drive sold out at per order
Warhorse sold out shortly after release.
Spider-Man, batman tdk, both already sold out.Amongst others.
No-one told me that.
The facts can be had by checking their listings

You can still pick Warhorse up in store for £5.....

Im sure play lost loads of money on Ironman 1 too :hilarious:

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Seems no one cares that 600 people are loosing their jobs :(

Sorry for the double post but plenty of people on this thread have mentioned that?

Truly a sad day for the staff and collectors. Having moved back home to the UK I lost no time in acquiring almost every Play.com exclusive. Very sad news. They really were SteelBook Kings as I felt that FS have let themselves slide somewhat and the finishes of the US/Canadian Steelbooks leaves a great deal to be desired. God bless you Play for emptying my wallet and brightening up our shelves.

Well, apart from the job losses, great news!!

REGARDING STEELBOOKS:

I'm fed up with play having multiple reprints of exclusive titles.
IMO, I would rather pay a few £ more for something which collectors appreciate. Truly limited items.
probably 20% of exclusive steelbook releases were truly limited, and this was just designed to lure the collectors in.

I know HMV aren't the greatest at packaging, but when they release exclusive items they are mostly limited.
And, as a collector, that's what I want most.

Play totally f**cked up the original Iron Man steel by getting them mixed up with IM 2. So, must have lost money on that one.
They sell items at a low price considering the high cost of the packaging.
Then they reprint by the bucket load only to then sell at a loss. (see some titles now at bargain prices).

If they just left all exclusives at 4000 print run, charged £15-£18 per steel, I would be upset right now.

THE REST OF THE BUSINESS:

Most items are available cheaper elsewhere, so why bother?

Who told you HMV's steel are limited?

Play sold out the Iron Man steelbook in less than a week, and could have printed 20k more had they wished and sold the lot, but they didn't. That tells you all you need to know about them.

^^Very nice post hayemaker.

RE: ferrari100 -

HMV will never limit a run to the size that play did.

A little inside info - the ONLY reason HMV got the Dark Knight Rises release was that they were willing to accept Warner Bros. mandatory order of a VERY large number of copies.

Highest bidder in terms of number of copies printed - won.

Need to know more? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.