PS3 Move Megathread

Are You Excited for the New Motion Controllers and Games?

• No

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • No

• Yes

• No

• Yes

• Total voters
Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
PlayStation Move is a motion-sensing game controller platform for the PlayStation 3 video game console by Sony Computer Entertainment. Based on a handheld motion controller wand, PlayStation Move uses the PlayStation Eye webcam to track the wand's position, and inertial sensors to detect its motion. First revealed on June 2, 2009, PlayStation Move is slated for worldwide launch in Q3/Q4 2010. PlayStation Move hardware available at launch includes the main PlayStation Move motion controller, and an optional PlayStation Move Navigation Controller.

sony-motion-controller-patent.jpg

Although PlayStation Move is implemented on the existing PlayStation 3 console, Sony states that it is treating PlayStation Move's debut as its own major "platform launch," planning an aggressive marketing campaign to support it. Sony plans to release several different bundle packages for PlayStation Move hardware; including an under-US$100 starter pack with a PlayStation Eye, a PlayStation Move motion controller, and a game; and a bundle with a PlayStation 3 console, PlayStation Eye, and PlayStation Move motion controller. Specific pricing has not been decided

ps3-motion-controller-demo.jpg

As with other PlayStation Wireless Controllers (SIXAXIS, DualShock 3), both the main PlayStation Move motion controller and thePlayStation Move Navigation Controller will use Bluetooth 2.0 wireless radio communication, and an internal lithium-ion battery which is charged via a USB Mini-B port on the controller.

Motion controller: The PlayStation Move motion controller features an orb at the end which can glow in any of a full range of colors according to the RGB color model using light-emitting diodes (LEDs). The colored light serves as an active marker, the position of which can be tracked along the image plane by the PlayStation Eye. The uniform spherical shape and known size of the light also allows the system to simply determine the controller's distance from the PlayStation Eye through the light's image size, thus enabling the controller's position to be tracked in three dimensions with high precision and accuracy. The sphere-based distance calculation allows the controller to operate with minimal processing lag, as opposed to other camera-based control techniques on the PlayStation 3. A pair of inertial sensors inside the controller, a three-axis linear accelerometer and a three-axis angular rate sensor, are used to track rotation as well as overall motion. An internal magnetometer is also used for calibrating the controller's orientation against the Earth's magnetic field to help correct against cumulative error (drift) in the inertial sensors. The internal sensors can be used for dead reckoning in cases which the camera tracking is insufficient, such as when the controller is obscured behind the player's back.

The controller face features a large ovoid primary button (Move), small action buttons :)triangle:, :circle:, :x:, :square:), and a regular-sized PS button, arranged in a similar configuration as on the Blu-Ray Disc Remote Control. On the left and right side is a Select and Start button, respectively. On the underside is an analog trigger (T). At the tail of the controller is the wrist strap, USB port, and extension port.

The motion controller features vibration-based haptic technology. In addition to providing a tracking reference, the controller's orb light can be used to simulate aesthetic effects, such as the muzzle flash of a gun, or the paint on a brush.

Using different orb colors for each controller, up to four motion controllers can be tracked at once with the PlayStation Eye. Demonstrations for the controller have featured activities using a single motion controller, as well as those in which the user wields two motion controllers, with one in each hand. To minimize the cost of entry, Sony has stated that all launch titles for PlayStation Move will be playable with one motion controller, with enhanced options available for multiple motion controllers.

According to Sony, use of the motion-tracking library entails some Synergistic Processing Unit (SPU) overhead as well an impact on memory, though the company states that the effects will be minimized.

Navigation Controller: PlayStation Move Navigation Controller is one-handed controller designed for use in conjunction with the PlayStation Move motion controller for certain types of gameplay. Replicating the major functionality of the left side of a standard PlayStation Wireless Controller, tPlayStation Move Navigation Controller features an analog stick, a D-pad, and L1 and L2 analog triggers. The Navigation Controller also features :x: and :circle: action buttons, as well as a PS button. Since all controls correspond to those of a standard Wireless Controller, a Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controller can be used in place of the Navigation Controller in PlayStation Move applications.

New Games:
Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios will release a total of 20 games compatible with the PlayStation Move before April 2011. Currently a number of games have been announced to include support for PlayStation Move, including:

Ape Escape (working title)
Beat Sketcher
Brunswick: Pro Bowling
Champions of Time (working title)
Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos
Eccentric Slider (working title)
Echochrome 2
Eyepet
The Fight: Lights Out
Heavy Rain
Heroes on the Move
High Velocity Bowling
Hustle Kings
John Daly's ProStroke Golf
Killzone 3
Kung Fu Live
Kung Fu Rider
Little Big Planet 2
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest
NBA 2K11
Pain!
Racquet Sports
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
Ruse: The Art of Deception
The Shoot (working title)
Sing and Draw (working title)
Singstar Dance
Sorcery
The Sly Collection
SOCOM 4
Sports Champions
Start The Party!
Time Crisis: Razing Storm
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2011
Time Crisis: Razing Storm
Tower (working title)
Toy Story 3
Tron Evolution the Video Game
Tumble
TV Superstars
Under Siege

Full Game List: http://move.gamespot.com/games/index.html

Companies:
Alongside Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios and its second-party partners, a total of 36 third-party game development companies will support the PlayStation Move and develop games compatible with it.

ps-move-2.jpg

sony-playstationmove.jpg

4703217355_15da1397f8.jpg

Accessories:

Guns
Chargers
Controller Grips
Misc.
________
Vaporite solo

Last edited:
GB would probably really like it since it's got Danny Trejo as Duke, the guy that coaches and trains you. It's a little hard to take him seriously when he's talking about beating someone senseless with "these" and then he holds up a Move controller in each hand. :hilarious:

Speaking of "old man" I prolly shouldn't play this since the disks in my neck are all f**ked up. Last time I played Wii golf i screwed it up so bad I prolly shouldn't have gone on my fishing trip to newfoundland. I went and ended up flyiong home 4 days later cause I was crippled up.

Speaking of "old man" I prolly shouldn't play this since the disks in my neck are all f**ked up. Last time I played Wii golf i screwed it up so bad I prolly shouldn't have gone on my fishing trip to newfoundland. I went and ended up flyiong home 4 days later cause I was crippled up.

Damn! Already with the excuses ;) (just playing) that sucks...:(

Off may have already posted this, but he and I have the move. I absolutely love it! I like playing volleyball on Sports Champions and just got Zumba Fitness. THAT game kicks my butt! Would love to work out with someone else once I get the hang of it lol. Right now i'm just jumping around and waving my arms alot. :emb: GB mentioned his wife may be interested in Zumba, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get it.

Hey Diva, Chris said he looked at the Zumba one online and said it got bad reviews? Do you still think it's still worth buying??? Having been hearing so friggin' much about Zumba lately really wanna try it.

think i may be done with FPS+Move. I just went 4 games and didn't get one f**king kill. Gdamn horrendous. too damn bad to cause i seem to have fun playing but i just can't do anything useful for my team.

Last edited:
Hey Diva, Chris said he looked at the Zumba one online and said it got bad reviews? Do you still think it's still worth buying??? Having been hearing so friggin' much about Zumba lately really wanna try it.

It's up to you. You can read the reviews and decide. I like it because it's better than a DVD and classes are too far for me to drive to, so it works out. The game doesn't always register the correct moves, and the graphics are not top notch, but if that doesn't bother you it's still a good time and will kick your butt. I have had 8+ years dance and choreography experience, so I took to it pretty fast without any actual Zumba experience. It'd be cool to have someone to do it with though, I might have a better chance of sticking with it if someone else wanted to join in. Let me know what you decide!

It's up to you. You can read the reviews and decide. I like it because it's better than a DVD and classes are too far for me to drive to, so it works out. The game doesn't always register the correct moves, and the graphics are not top notch, but if that doesn't bother you it's still a good time and will kick your butt. I have had 8+ years dance and choreography experience, so I took to it pretty fast without any actual Zumba experience. It'd be cool to have someone to do it with though, I might have a better chance of sticking with it if someone else wanted to join in. Let me know what you decide!

Yeah I know what ya mean on the sticking to it, if I'm not doing some sort of exercise with a friend my brain will always rationalize some sort of excuse to do something else :p So think I wanna give it a shot. Hopefully I can order it on Wed / Payday. I really don't care too much about graphics so no big deal there. How does it work when you play with someone else? Is it just like you're working out together? I have no dance experience whatsoever so doing this in my living room as opposed to a class full of people sounds much better! :D Hopefully we'll be exercising together soon!

Yeah I know what ya mean on the sticking to it, if I'm not doing some sort of exercise with a friend my brain will always rationalize some sort of excuse to do something else :p So think I wanna give it a shot. Hopefully I can order it on Wed / Payday. I really don't care too much about graphics so no big deal there. How does it work when you play with someone else? Is it just like you're working out together? I have no dance experience whatsoever so doing this in my living room as opposed to a class full of people sounds much better! :D Hopefully we'll be exercising together soon!

AWESOME!! Glad to hear you are going to give it a try. I'm not sure how it works though lol I think we both dance to the instructor, or maybe we each have our own instructors? I'm going to do it today and will try the multiplayer. I'll let you know what I find out. Can't wait to work out with ya!!

AWESOME!! Glad to hear you are going to give it a try. I'm not sure how it works though lol I think we both dance to the instructor, or maybe we each have our own instructors? I'm going to do it today and will try the multiplayer. I'll let you know what I find out. Can't wait to work out with ya!!

COOL! Yeah let me know how it goes :D Chris is getting a bonus so we'll each get a game. So should have it ordered tomorrow :oohyeah:

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

I'm gonna log in and just watch :D

Oh you'll be dancing!!! :hilarious: