PS3 Slim News Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
The number of E3 rumors are starting to escalate, and we're starting to wonder if gigantic announcements will be in abundance at the show...

As most of you are aware, a new PSP - quite possible the PSP Go! - will be unveiled during Sony's press conference, but that may not be the end of the new hardware announcements. According to PlayStation LifeStyle, a new iteration of the PlayStation 3 may be headed our way soon. We have no idea what sort of alteration one can expect; as the site says, it may just be new colors like the Matte Silver or the Ceramic White. We're actually expecting that anyway, as the silver and white Dual Shock 3 controllers will soon be arriving at retailers nationwide. But the other possibility is a slimmer, lighter PS3, which is a rumor that has been circulating for quite some time (take a look at the launch PS2 and the current Slim PS2, for instance). It's just that the word "redesign" could mean almost anything so at this point, the imagination's the limit... We don't believe it'll be a whole new model with different features and a bigger hard drive, but you never know; they might introduce one so as to issue a price drop. That's what we really want.

Well, it's just another bit of speculation that will run wild for the next few weeks. At the very least, it'll keep people talking, right?

PS3 stock drying up at UK, Japanese retail points to model change

Further evidence supporting widespread rumors that Sony will be launching a redesigned PlayStation 3 model has cropped up via several UK and Japanese retail channels.

According to Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter, PS3 stock has been drying up in both territories with retailers unable to place anymore orders until the end of the month, indicating a possible model change and/or price cut.

Pachter told VG247: “The retail commentary I’ve seen has come out of the UK. We heard Japanese retail a few weeks ago say they weren’t going to be getting any more PS3s after August 8, and now we’re starting to hear UK retail say they cannot re-order PS3s until month-end.”

“And that suggest there’ll be a model change."

Echoing various other industry folk, Pachter believes Sony will unveil plans for a Slim PS3 during its hour-long press conference at Cologne’s GamesCom event next week.

"If Sony’s practice is the same as it was in the past, and the Slim is more of a redesign of the components to drive down cost, then I think we will get a price cut,” said Pachter.

hastingsad98.jpg

i thought the ol plain ps3 was alright..now they got slim?!..it must cut costs down more right if its slim?!..

its possible....ps1 slim & the ps2 slim....there's so much Hype but i'm sure i wont see people flocking to retail stores as it was like the beginning...800 dollar ps3!,people get held at gun point,people being jumped for their ps3...