PS3 Slim News Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
The number of E3 rumors are starting to escalate, and we're starting to wonder if gigantic announcements will be in abundance at the show...

As most of you are aware, a new PSP - quite possible the PSP Go! - will be unveiled during Sony's press conference, but that may not be the end of the new hardware announcements. According to PlayStation LifeStyle, a new iteration of the PlayStation 3 may be headed our way soon. We have no idea what sort of alteration one can expect; as the site says, it may just be new colors like the Matte Silver or the Ceramic White. We're actually expecting that anyway, as the silver and white Dual Shock 3 controllers will soon be arriving at retailers nationwide. But the other possibility is a slimmer, lighter PS3, which is a rumor that has been circulating for quite some time (take a look at the launch PS2 and the current Slim PS2, for instance). It's just that the word "redesign" could mean almost anything so at this point, the imagination's the limit... We don't believe it'll be a whole new model with different features and a bigger hard drive, but you never know; they might introduce one so as to issue a price drop. That's what we really want.

Well, it's just another bit of speculation that will run wild for the next few weeks. At the very least, it'll keep people talking, right?

Yay new rumors.. 250gb PS3 Slim for Winter!!!

500x_ps3250.jpg

1tb that would bring the price back up.i think people should just give up on the bc now it seems like they aint gonna do it.

They have the ability to do BC and will once the PS2 is gone. On ALL PS3s. And I was just saying that a slim isn't worth it to me ATM. I have a 500gb (60) launch model...

i also think its ugly....man am i glad i have the black ps3 that shines with the chrome...

and i didn't think it was true!...they really do have slim models now

GamesCom: No b/c for PS3 Slim, says Koller

Sony America’s John Koller has revealed that the PlayStation 3 Slim will not include PS2 backwards compatibility, arguing that punters will fork out for the machine with the primary intention of indulging in PS3 gaming only.

Speaking to gaming blog Kotaku, the hardware marketing boss commented, "Backwards compatibility is off the table.”

Koller went on to insist that research has shown that a substantial chunk of consumers who purchase Sony’s black box are doing so only to play PS3 games, and haven’t touched PS2 products for some time.

"Now that we're at a point where we're three years into the lifecycle of the PS3, there are so many PS3 disc-based games that are available that we think - and noticed this from our research - that most consumers that are purchasing the PS3 cite PS3 games as a primary [reason],” he said.

“And it's not just like 50 or 60 percent. It's well into the 80 or 90 percentile range... Most of those are consumers who have not utilized their PS2 for a little while and they're ready to jump into the PlayStation 3."

Elsewhere, Koller said he expects the Slim model to replace its big brother within the next couple of months, with the current 80GB SKU to see its last days at retail next month, while the 120GB version is expected to linger for a while longer.

The PS3 Slim will retail for $299 USD and goes on sale during the first week of September.

Video: Joystiq unboxes the PS3 Slim

Pictures can say thousands of words, but videos ... that's like millions of words. OK, we (thankfully) don't get that verbose in our video unboxing of PS3 Slim. Watch it and you'll see exactly what it'll be like to crack open the packaging on your very own machine come the first week of September -- should you be in the market for Sony's slimmer, cheaper PS3 that is.

We've also got props ... well, actually just game cases and other consoles to hold up to the Slim for size comparison. But hey, we do it with style. So, give it a viewing, let us know what you think and be sure to check out our gallery of comparison screens below if you haven't already. Oh, and if we can answer any of your questions about the system, holler at some (game) players. We're here for you.

Check it out here: joystiq.com/2009/08/19/video-joystiq-unboxes-the-ps3-slim/