Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't find the movie specific thread for this, so I'll leave it here.

La La Land

One of my most anticipated movies of the year, mostly due to my love of Whiplash and Chazelle. This is a romantic musical starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. Gosling is an aspiring musician trying to bring back jazz music and Stone is a aspiring actress trying to land any significant acting role. Fate brings them together in a movie that is a love letter to old musicals and to the city of Los Angeles.

I'm not a big fan of romance movies and even less of musicals, but again, Whiplash is one of my all time favorite movies and Gosling and Stone are always great together. This was a great movie and really well directed and acted. Emma Stone should get an Oscar nomination for her performance here and Gosling was very solid as well. The music was great and the dancing was excellent. I was in a Q&A with Chazelle and he mentioned both Stone and Gosling did all their own dancing and singing, which is very impressive. It's got a similar vibe to the movie The Artist and I mean that in a good way.

If you hate musicals or romance movies, then I would stay away from this, but if you're like me and can tolerate musicals, you're in for a treat. The movie has lots of humor in the script but with some real human moments as well. It's not a typically Hollywood movie in many ways, including the ending. But I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I'm thinking it will be nominated for many Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Music and Best Editing. I still prefer Whiplash more, but I have to give huge props to Chazelle for doing something very different and more ambitious. Highly recommended.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Couldn't find the movie specific thread for this, so I'll leave it here.

La La Land

One of my most anticipated movies of the year, mostly due to my love of Whiplash and Chazelle. This is a romantic musical starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. Gosling is an aspiring musician trying to bring back jazz music and Stone is a aspiring actress trying to land any significant acting role. Fate brings them together in a movie that is a love letter to old musicals and to the city of Los Angeles.

I'm not a big fan of romance movies and even less of musicals, but again, Whiplash is one of my all time favorite movies and Gosling and Stone are always great together. This was a great movie and really well directed and acted. Emma Stone should get an Oscar nomination for her performance here and Gosling was very solid as well. The music was great and the dancing was excellent. I was in a Q&A with Chazelle and he mentioned both Stone and Gosling did all their own dancing and singing, which is very impressive. It's got a similar vibe to the movie The Artist and I mean that in a good way.

If you hate musicals or romance movies, then I would stay away from this, but if you're like me and can tolerate musicals, you're in for a treat. The movie has lots of humor in the script but with some real human moments as well. It's not a typically Hollywood movie in many ways, including the ending. But I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I'm thinking it will be nominated for many Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Music and Best Editing. I still prefer Whiplash more, but I have to give huge props to Chazelle for doing something very different and more ambitious. Highly recommended.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
The La La Land thread can be found here...
https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/la-la-land-in-theaters-december-16-2016.73003/

Great review! Whiplash is also one of my favourite movies, and I'm also a big fan of both Gosling and Stone, so naturally I'm very much looking forward to checking out La La Land. Going by your review, it sounds like I won't be disappointed! :)

Rogue One
I left more thoughts in the Rogue One thread, but I thought this was really good. There are some flaws to it, but the highs are so high and the ending was such great fan service, I’ll be biased and go with the best rating.
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

The Assassin (Chinese film)
Beautifully filmed movie that looks phenomenal; but wow this was like watching paint dry. Really pretty to watch, but ultimately pretty boring. The difference between The Assassin and something like Tree of Life, is that The Assassin has a basic plot that we’re trying to follow and the pacing of the movie is so deliberately slow, I honestly got disinterested and disengaged from the story. But I appreciate that it was very consistent with its pace and the visuals alone are amazing. The action scenes totals to about 3 to 5 minutes, so don’t expect anything too exciting. I think it’s a bit critically overrated, but it’s worth a watch if you like visuals and movies from other visual directors. (Mallick, Refn etc.)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Brown Bunny
I did a Vincent Gallo double feature and watched this first. This was a real chore to get through and the stillness and pure visuals of the movie did nothing for me. Like the Assassin, much of Brown Bunny is intentionally slow, but the problem is; none of the visuals seen are even interesting. (The Assassin had interesting visuals at least) I went in blind to this movie, so the ending scene was definitely controversial. But even with that scene, the movie wasn’t worth my time leading up to it. The scene adds nothing to overall story or character other than extreme shock value to the viewers. This movie should have been a short film and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone unless they are super intrigued by the controversial scene.
1n-png.127234

Buffalo 66
This was my second of my Vincent Gallo double feature. I also went in completely blind to this movie and was pleasantly surprised. Gallo plays douchy very well and if you can blindly excuse why Christina Ricci’s character follows this guy, the movie is pretty great. Quirky and awkward, but with some very real emotions and interesting characters. This movie showed me why people had high expectations for Gallo’s later film, Brown Bunny. Worth a watch if you like indie movies about strange people and relationships. So to my Gallo double feature: yes to Buffalo 66 and no to Brown Bunny.
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

The Kings of Pigs (Korea animation)
Finally got around to watching one of my Plain Archive’s blind buys. This was quite good and very dark. It’s really shocking to hear that it was based off true events which only adds to the grimness. But the storyline is engaging the animation is distinctive and fitting for the vibe of the movie. The character decisions in the end are a little inconsistent to me, but I can’t really complain if it was truly based off real events/people. Glad I watched finally watched and it’s a worth addition to my Plain collection.
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
I hope that the bar scene where
Tom shoots him while he's having a proper conversation
surprised you as much as it did me. Badass scene. :thumbs:
This was the second time I've seen it, but it still came as a bit of a shock as I'd forgotten most of what happened. Love the slow build up and how the table just suddenly turns at the end... it was very unexpected, which is what made it so awesome! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing