Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
Memoirs of a Murderer:
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Japan... why, oh why- do none of your film's seem to have a competent Director of Photography?
Lack-luster visuals aside, Memoirs of a Murderer offers a very interesting premise- however it seems to lose focus somewhere within the second act.
The film ditches what would be a rather simple- yet concise game of cat and mouse (or more aptly cat and cat) game of tag between a Detective and the Murderer he had failed to catch, in favor of a more convoluted plot of twists, turns, and reveals. However- I feel like this over-complication of the plot, while interesting, detracts from the pacing and coherency of what would otherwise be an already interesting film.

The Frame rate is an issue. But that's an issue with most Hollywood Blockbusters- however, Kingsman isn't nearly as big of an offender as Captain America: Civil War was. Civil War had issues not only with the frame-rate, but with it's editing as well. Kingsman at least had to decency to match most of it's quick cuts to the middle of the frame and on an action so that the cut was more or less hidden... the same was done with Mad Max: Fury Road.

As for it's accuracy to the comics- I'm very glad that they didn't follow the comics because that form of storytelling wouldn't have translated well to film, in my opinion. Likewise, most- if not everything Mark Millar writes cannot be translated to film because of the unorthodox way he structures his narratives. It's a bit disappointing in certain sense- like how we'll never get Wesley Gibson's "Killer" suit- however, it's something that I think is probably for the best.
Oddly - I have yet to see a Millar translation in movies that I like. (Hated Kick-Ass, but loved the comic.)

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
full.png
full.png
full.png
full.png
empty.png

It just clicked after watching this movie that the first one is now 20 years old! It also got me wondering what Heather Graham is up to nowadays (mostly TV shows), so I gave her a quick Google and noticed she's almost 50... could have fooled me!

Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002)
full.png
full.png
full.png
full.png
empty.png

The best/funniest of the three IMO, which is helped by numerous unexpected cameos and a bigger budget.

Dunkirk:
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

This was... interesting. It's an amazing IMAX experience, one that I'm glad that I paid to see- however- as enjoyable as this experience was, I can't in good conscious refer to it as a film, let alone a good film.
The film is structured around the dramatic elements of each sequence, while paying little to no mind about the chronological order of things. Whereas a film like Memento does similar things with its own structure- it does so with justification and to serve a particular point for the narrative. As Dunkirk doesn't really have a traditional narrative- there's no real reason for the film to be structured the way it is- and it's needless convolution of what essential amounts to a recounting of a single day- it places an unnecessary strain on the coherency of the film.

Dunkirk is really an experience of different genre. More of a VR Experience than a traditional film- Dunkirk is not meant to particularly compelling or deep- it is merely meant to engross the audience. While the film is very good at what it does- it isn't enough for me to say that it truly stands a part from its gimmick.

If you see this film- definitely see it in IMAX... otherwise- there really is no point.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Josef Fritzl: The Story of a Monster (2010)
full.png
full.png
empty.png
empty.png
empty.png

No idea why I chose to watch this... it actually made me feel sick.

Dunkirk:
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

This was... interesting. It's an amazing IMAX experience, one that I'm glad that I paid to see- however- as enjoyable as this experience was, I can't in good conscious refer to it as a film, let alone a good film.
The film is structured around the dramatic elements of each sequence, while paying little to no mind about the chronological order of things. Whereas a film like Memento does similar things with its own structure- it does so with justification and to serve a particular point for the narrative. As Dunkirk doesn't really have a traditional narrative- there's no real reason for the film to be structured the way it is- and it's needless convolution of what essential amounts to a recounting of a single day- it places an unnecessary strain on the coherency of the film.

Dunkirk is really an experience of different genre. More of a VR Experience than a traditional film- Dunkirk is not meant to particularly compelling or deep- it is merely meant to engross the audience. While the film is very good at what it does- it isn't enough for me to say that it truly stands a part from its gimmick.

If you see this film- definitely see it in IMAX... otherwise- there really is no point.
I see you've been enjoying your movies a bit more lately :D:thumbs:

While i agree, at times i felt like it didnt need to be structured this way, i dont think that makes it a bad movie. Actually, after some thought, i thought that if it was presented in a chronological order, it would've been a bad movie. But ymmv, right?

Also, how did you like Han Zimmer's score?

Are you just throwing darts at the Netflix guide?!!:hilarious:
What are these movies?!!:rofl:;)
Haha you're actually not too far from the truth... I was in the mood for a short documentary and have pretty much seen all the good ones Netflix has to offer, so I got desperate and basically just did eenie-meenie-miny-moe. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Haha you're actually not too far from the truth... I was in the mood for a short documentary and have pretty much seen all the good ones Netflix has to offer, so I got desperate and basically just did eenie-meenie-miny-moe. :p
I love documentaries - and that can be a very deep rabbit hole!
Unfortunately - there are a LOT of bad ones.
Did you see INDIE GAME and INDIE GAME: AFTERMATH?
THE INSTITUTE? TIM'S VERMEER? Highly recommend those. (Some Classics docs: SHERMAN'S MARCH, THIN BLUE LINE, BURDEN OF DREAMS)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
KONG SKULL ISLAND
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
...As far as monster movies and specifically Kong movies go it is nigh on perfect for me, so it get's 5/5 from me based purely on that particular genre.

DARKMAN
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
...Bought the blu-ray trilogy for nostalgia reason's, it only cost me £8, enjoyable quite cheesy but entertaining.

HELL OR HIGH WATER
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
...Brilliant film IMO, stellar performance's all round.

• Thanks
I love documentaries - and that can be a very deep rabbit hole!
Unfortunately - there are a LOT of bad ones.
Did you see INDIE GAME and INDIE GAME: AFTERMATH?
THE INSTITUTE? TIM'S VERMEER? Highly recommend those. (Some Classics docs: SHERMAN'S MARCH, THIN BLUE LINE, BURDEN OF DREAMS)
I love a good documentary too, especially crime ones! I've seen Indie Game, but not Aftermath... didn't even know about that one to be honest, so will have to hunt it down. The only other doc I've seen out of the ones you mentioned is Thin Blue Line... Netflix UK very rarely have a good selection unfortunately. I listed some of my favourites not too long ago in this thread... https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/great-documentaries.84465/#post-1902696

I see you've been enjoying your movies a bit more lately :D:thumbs:

While i agree, at times i felt like it didnt need to be structured this way, i dont think that makes it a bad movie. Actually, after some thought, i thought that if it was presented in a chronological order, it would've been a bad movie. But ymmv, right?

Also, how did you like Han Zimmer's score?

Haha! Yeah- I've been seeing less films, lately- and with the exception of Spider-Man: Homecoming, they've all been at least decent. xD
And I agree- Nolan loves this multiplicity effect to his endings where he needs to have 3 stories simultaneously ending- and Dunkirk seems to be 3 stories ending for a solid 90 minutes. I think if the movie was told chronologically, the pacing would have been all over the place- and would've effect the narrative flow of the film. Either way, I think I would be here complaining about it.

I did like Hans Zimmer's score- it perfectly complimented the film. But that being said- I don't remember anything about the score being particularly memorable outside of it's visual accompaniments... I'd probably place this Zimmer/ Nolan score somewhere below Interstellar but on par with Inception.

• Thanks
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)
full.png
full.png
full.png
full.png
full.png

I imagine this is how Game of Thrones will end...
...with one big orgy. :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
KONG: SKULL ISLAND

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Fantastic! Simply Fantastic!! I don't know what to say!!! Utterly Fantastic!!!!

A new story is so refreshing, and Kong is the massive Kong he should be. I'm not throwing shade at Peter Jackson's Kong because I love that movie, but this was a wild ride, dudes! and Kong is indeed King. I won't give anything away, other than to warn you not to miss the added scene after all the credits roll.

• Thanks