Recommendations for New TV

Note: I posted this originally on that other site, but then remembered after doing so that most of the people in the A/V section are snobby pricks and they either never respond to ANYTHING I ask, or they do so with condescending attitudes.

I'll only be posting this kind of thing here from now on.
===================================

I'm looking to upgrade my tv/monitor from the 23" I have now to a 32" sometime before November.

I don't want to spend this kind of money on something and then end up having to return it and wait for a new one, or have one that will just crap out on me after a while.

So which ones are "Definitely stay away from" and which ones are good. I currently have an Acer which has been fine. But with Uncharted 3 coming out in the fall, I definitely want to move bigger. 3D is not anything I am interested in, so I don't want that in the TV I get.

Thank you in advance for the help!

If there's anymore info I need to supply, just let me know.
=====================

What I want: LCD 32" TV/Monitor.
What I use it for: Playstation 3, Desktop Tower (no HDMI Connector, so I use the standard monitor connector. VGA or whatever. The blue one).

Price Range: 600.00 or less.

Other Details: 720P is fine. If I can get a 1080, that'd be great, but with my vision, the 720 is just fine.

I'd LIKE to get one that is internet capable. Not sure if that's a waste of money or not. I always see these TV's advertised with the youtube/facebook/netflix, etc widgets on the screen, and always wondered whether that was just a useless (for the most part) frivolity added to the monitor to get some more money.

At least two HDMI ports. It'd be nice if there were a lot of a/v inputs in the back for a home stereo or something. I won't be getting a huge home theater thing or anything, but if I had a compact stereo (plan to get one in the future) it'd be nice to be able to plug it in.

Costco has a bunch of options between 32" and 42" that fit your price range.

Only caveat is, I'm not sure that any of them are wi-fi.... though it might be worth investigating the model #'s to see if they are (the costco site might just leave that info off the list).

Here's a link

Forgot to mention --- I linked to Costco cause they have a lot of Vizio's brand TV's... and Vizio has a solid reputation for moderately priced TVs.

Another note -- I did some research several months ago because I was interested in buying a new TV for outdoors near my pool... and I'm pretty sure the Wi-Fi stuff started more in the 42" models for some reason. That's not a hard fact, just the feeling I got when I was browsing.

Last edited:
Costco has a bunch of options between 32" and 42" that fit your price range.

Only caveat is, I'm not sure that any of them are wi-fi.... though it might be worth investigating the model #'s to see if they are (the costco site might just leave that info off the list).

Here's a link

Forgot to mention --- I linked to Costco cause they have a lot of Vizio's brand TV's... and Vizio has a solid reputation for moderately priced TVs.

That's definitely a choice for me (Costco) because my friend has a costco membership.

I would actually like to get a 40" since I'm getting a new one here, but really don't want to go over 600 dollars. The internet widgets thing isn't a big deal for me, so if it's cheaper to find a 40" Vizio LCD with no widgets, that'd be the thing.

My biggest problem is going to be saving the money and not spending it. lol. Gonna have my friend hold on to it with strict instructions not to give it to me for any reason until I have enough to get the TV. lol

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

This one caught my eye....it has 3D and is 700 bucks but it definitely is tempting.....

This won't be for at least three months (unless I find someone to get it for me and then me pay them in installments. lol). so who knows what will happen by then.

As long as I have it by the time Uncharted 3 comes out in November, I'll be fine.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

930420.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a good deal. Personally I've found Samsung flatscreen TV's to be excellent. I've had a 42 inch HD Ready model for over 4 years and recently upgraded to a 50 inch 3D model that was 300 euros cheaper than the earlier one! Samsung seem to offer very good value for money, in Spain at least, and it seems to me that US prices are usually much lower than European ones for the same models. Hope you find a good deal anyway!

I think thats a really good deal on the vizio Groo! Check out the LG's at Bestbuy tho too. LG is a great brand.

I'm a Vizio fan. We've got three, an old 32", a new 32", and a non-3D 42". They have really good quality and a ton of hook ups. At one time I had my PS3 (HDMI), a DVD player (component), a laptop (VGA and then S-Vid) hooked to the TV and running the sound through my surround. The best part is that we haven't paid more than $500 for each of these TVs. We think that someone "rented" the 42" from Walmart for the Super Bowl. It was in great shape when we saw it and got it for $150 less than the non-open box TV.

Well things have changed quickly. lol. I decided I was going to just save a few hundred each month until the Black Friday sales, so hopefully I can get a solid TV along the lines of what I posted up there for a good damn price.

Also I'd like to get some type of stereo as well and some PS3 games.

Hopefully I'll have about a grand to work with at that time. Just gotta keep my eye open for Best Buy/Walmart/costco black friday sales.

I'm a Vizio fan. We've got three, an old 32", a new 32", and a non-3D 42". They have really good quality and a ton of hook ups. At one time I had my PS3 (HDMI), a DVD player (component), a laptop (VGA and then S-Vid) hooked to the TV and running the sound through my surround. The best part is that we haven't paid more than $500 for each of these TVs. We think that someone "rented" the 42" from Walmart for the Super Bowl. It was in great shape when we saw it and got it for $150 less than the non-open box TV.

Truth be told, a couple years ago when I would travel a lot for business I would take my PS3 and then buy a small LCD at a local wal-mart each time. I'd use it in the hotel room during my stay then return it before I left back home. :emb::p