Region A player

Nov 24, 2010
England
I'm in the UK and was looking to purchase a Region A/Multiregion player. Are there any sites (Non UK as prices are high over here!) you guys could recommend?

Thanks

Reactions: n3wk1d
Was looking for a player too but I think there's another one out there.
Read somewhere that recent batch with new firmware had disabled the key thing.
Must dig it out again to read it once more.

Well, when I got mine ... much later than Dar's the key thing was also disabled.

But then in the options there was a setting that said "restore to default settings" and I did that ... after that, it worked. So dont know if that is a glitch work around or what ...

I'm probably going to buy a new blu ray player in france soon, but I'd like to have it in region free.

It's the Sony S780.
The cost is really high for a region free player.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to buy the french one, and an american one with an adaptater from USA.

What do you think ?

I took the plunge and bought the panasonic bdt310 at us$184. As I read there is a way to change your player firmware to "Enhance Firmware" so it can be region changeable.

Was thinking of getting the cheap player as first, then since the dollar is getting weak so getting a 3d player would be a more viable since there's shipping fees anyway.
Just need to get a transformer to convert 110-220v will do.

Hope the player comes in in one piece..

The problem in buying player from USA is the shipping because a lot of website don't want to ship them :/

Is there anybody ready to send a player over the Atlantic ? :p

My first bluray player I got was a Playstation 3 from the US, then you get both a region A player and a gaming console, no that I play games that often though.

As far as selling a Blu-ray player that is a Region A player to another country that uses B or C, I believe it is restricted due to the stipulations of the MPAA. They are the ones who set the standard. All players whether they are stand alone players or players made for the computer have to be region coded.

The discs on the other hand can be open. In fact over 70% of all Blu-rays are region free or Region ABC. It's just like trying to buy a PS3 and trying to have it shipped to the UK or China. It's not allowed. Although buying a region free blu-ray is very common. The MPAA wants to keep some control over the market. That is why every player is region locked.

I'm not too sure but I'm betting that it is against eBay policy to ship Internationally a Blu-ray player, not positive on this. Of course finding a seller willing to shell out the money to ship a player to another country is few and far between.

Since I just bought an Oppo BDP-93 and a region free mod for it, I'm looking to sell my Samsung BD-P2500 Blu-ray player rated for Region A. I'm betting that a European member somewhere would be willing to take me up on this offer, please PM me.

To the mods; I don't know if this is acceptable to do but if not just let me know where I can and I'll edit this out of this post. Thanks.