Safely say that 4k is...

I only bought a 3D TV recently as they are now a sensible price.

I've seen 4K in action (at the Gadget Show Live last year), and whilst I thought it was good IMO you're gonna need a TV 60"+ to really notice the difference. I don't have the room for that size TV let alone could I afford a 4K TV that size!!

Must admit, I have no real desire to go 4K

Very true, as I have said myself in previous threads - 4k is a bridge too far; the format that no-one really needs as for most of us it is unaffordable, has no discernible real benefit over blu ray (except on very large screens), it's supposedly competing in an expanding marketplace, but that place doesn't exist!

Blu Ray is still really in its infancy in comparison to DVD, and as Ben as said here, there is still much to do with Blu in release terms, but there is also probably more to come from the format itself.

Like curved screens (anyone remember the manic rush to go to flat CRTs as 'flat was the way to go'?), 4k is likely to be a passing whim - even industry advisors are saying curved screens will die within 3 years .

Frankly, It can't be long before 4k is killed off due to lack of interest from the public - the majority haven't even bought into Blu; lack of available content, prices, and the reality that you can't really see any discernible/beneficial upgrade over Blu/standard HD with screens of less that 60 inches or so - when most of the public watch tv on smaller screens, it 'ain't gonna happen!

The corporate money wasted on this folly would have been better spent investing in OLED, or a new generation of Plasmas.

Last edited:
I don't understand how people can keep saying Blu-ray is still in its infancy. It's several years old and has developed multiple different types of disc architectures. And the successors to Blu-ray are already in development. As for 4k it's a matter of only a short time we've already seen several sets hit the 1000 or less range some with even home 2.0 and Samsung and Sony have 4k TVs under 3k and that's the start of the mid class/entry level TVs. It's more of a matter of people not wanting to spend as much on new electronics as they used to years ago. Partly due to economics others due pacing and acceptance reasons. But Blu-ray has come a long way and is 8+ years old with over 5 different revisions. And newer disc technologies releasing every year for it. Technology as well is far outpacing what ppl keep predicting and saying and it will continue to get faster. There is a ton of precedence for us to believe in only a couple short years 4k will be very cheap and even more precedence that even 4k will be long outdated by the time it becomes widely accepted. Sorry I'm not ranting at you or anything. Just doesn't make any sense to me any more as I continue to read ppl who think that Blu-ray is still new and that it takes a long time for technology to become cheap. I don't have the space to do so here but there are several reasons behind my statement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Reactions: earthscope
4k tvs will become very common. So I think 4k will come regardless.

I wouldn't say blu-ray is in its infancy, but the fact remains it still doesn't win the marketshare as most consumers are fine with dvd.

From what I've read passive 3D looks great on 4K thanks to the extra resolution, and I'm sure 4K TV will sell in their millions as prices drop.

Being honest, a well mastered DVD looks 'good enough' to me at the distance I sit from my TV. Getting closer, with well mastered discs, the differences between DVD and blu ray are obvious , but I don't sit that close.

I looked at the top 5 blu ray and DVD sales on 'The Numbers' for 2013 , DVD 18.4 million, blu ray 15.1 million. So I predict that 2014 will see blu ray overtake DVD sales.

Moving from SD to HD to 4K, I think we have diminishing returns. DVDs load quickly, blu rays are so slow by comparison. I dread to think how they will mess up a 4K disc system.

I think the load times will decrease pretty significantly as we go on. To be perfectly honest I can see a time when movies will ship on SSDs and we will have hard drives in our steelbooks or neat art work on hard drives lol. As they also are getting cheaper, larger, and faster. I could easily see 128gb SSD's selling as a norm with Movies on them in the 40$ range (Don't think the public is ready for this by any means but its far more than certainly possible and is infact plausible. And as time progresses this will constantly get cheaper as hard drives do and we may windup paying less than we do for disc now because the margin for profit will stand to be larger as computer and fx cost decrease to compensate for the large increasing Actor/Marketing fees movie companies pay for.

Considering the price of memory you'd have thought a solid state music disc carrier would have arrived. I think I remember something being marketed for kids but it was pretty pathetic. I personally don't see it happening.

The industry is in love with discs. Vinyl LP, CD, Video CD,DVD, SACD, minidisc, UMD and blu ray. My guess is that it's cheap to stamp out discs and they last a good long time, but perhaps designing a read only solid state movie carrier isn't cost effective or desirable for some reason.

In March 2008 CNET had an article 'Coming soon: Movies on flash memory cards'. In January 2009 PCMAG wrote about a company called MOD Systems that was going to distribute movies on SD cards. There's a ton of juicy gossip regarding fraud, money laundering and jail time surrounding that company.

Sony said it had revised down the profitability of its disc manufacturing business (so they certainly won't be making 4k discs) "primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European Union. Sony has determined that it does not expect to generate sufficient cash flow in the future to recover the carrying amount of long-lived assets," the company added.

It seems we aren't paying enough for our blu ray discs for Sony to make a profit. So we're all going to have to pay for 100MB fibre internet so we can stream 4k movies (I wonder if they'll have decent sound?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Troll2Fan
:ass: That would be great!! :thumbs:

And with over 3 million Plasma sets shipped in Brazil very recently - avid world cup followers - then it makes sense too!! :)

In addition to that, a well-respected hdtv review site said after testing the latest Panasonic tx-50ax802b (which is reckoned to be probably the best 4ktv) -Quote: ' Of course Plasma tvs, especially the final generation from Panasonic themselves, still win in terms of Black Levels, Viewing Angles, Screen Uniformity and Outright Picture Quality Despite a lower screen resolution'.

And if that isn't reason enough to scrap 4k and reinvest in Plasma I don't know what is!

Last edited:
One good reason why I believe Blu-rays are not dominating is because the movie distributors/makers keep making blu-ray/DVD combo. If you want blu-ray to grab hold, then seperate them or even better......make blu-ray slightly cheaper for awhile. Also, those people still rockin the old CRT TV screens wouldn't see the difference in picture quality because they probably didn't notice the transition from VHS to DVD, much less from DVD to Blu-ray (picture quality wise).

I think Blu-rays are great and even though 4k is on it's way......it will take a long time to adopt. Everything is streaming nowadays, so they should stream everything in 4k, after ISP's increase bandwith speeds. VUDU, Amazon and some other companies do very well with this and UltraViolet is becoming easier to use too. You just have to be patient with UV. I have over 600 UV movies and TV shows and almost all of them are only slightly under Blu-ray quality. They even support 7.1 surround and that's hard to beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One good reason why I believe Blu-rays are not dominating is because the movie distributors/makers keep making blu-ray/DVD combo. If you want blu-ray to grab hold, then seperate them or even better......make blu-ray slightly cheaper for awhile. Also, those people still rockin the old CRT TV screens wouldn't see the difference in picture quality because they probably didn't notice the transition from VHS to DVD, much less from DVD to Blu-ray (picture quality wise).

I think Blu-rays are great and even though 4k is on it's way......it will take a long time to adopt. Everything is streaming nowadays, so they should stream everything in 4k, after ISP's increase bandwith speeds. VUDU, Amazon and some other companies do very well with this and UltraViolet is becoming easier to use too. You just have to be patient with UV. I have over 600 UV movies and TV shows and almost all of them are only slightly under Blu-ray quality. They even support 7.1 surround and that's hard to beat.

Some good points, but a little unfair on CRTs - the last couple of years of top line CRT development in Europe prouced some stunning sets.

I personally owned a Philips PW 9763/25 32inch (basically the same as a B &O or Loewe of the same year minus the fancy cabinets). 100hz, pixel plus, natural motion, 3 line comb filter etc. Not to mention twin tuners, split screen, zoom, pic in pic, plus 95 watts rms 13 speaker dolby digital surround with infra red rears.- ask an experienced engineer and they'll tell you they are brilliant sets not far short of full hd quality.
Then again, you paid for it (full retail in '98 was £2250 - I paid £1450 cash for mine and it gave 13 years of perfect service.

As for 4k - unless you are watching on a 60 inch plus screen you won't see the difference - and even then it is marginal.

The current reviews only go to reinforce this, and that the last Plasmas from Panasonic especially will still give you a superior viewing experience - despite having a lower resolution.

Just don't believe the hype - it all comes from vested interests.

Good point Jack. I wasn't bashing the CRT. I'm 41 and I used those TV's all my life. I was stating that CRT could only do 525 (480) resolution and my nephew couldn't tell the difference when I switched to DVD. He only noticed the picture was a bit clearer, but when I showed him Blu-ray on my new 60" last year, he finally noticed the difference in pixels.

I think that 4k would be the last format I take on, but while I wait.......I will be looking into sound now. I hear the Atmos standard is nice to hear about and can't wait for HDMI 2.0 to give us the 60 fps we need.

I think it's going to become the standard for PC gaming long before it takes over your main TV set. You can already get a decent 4k monitor for around £500 so I'm already tempted to take the plunge, TVs are about 5 times the cost at the moment

Reactions: Wreck
Good point Jack. I wasn't bashing the CRT. I'm 41 and I used those TV's all my life. I was stating that CRT could only do 525 (480) resolution and my nephew couldn't tell the difference when I switched to DVD. He only noticed the picture was a bit clearer, but when I showed him Blu-ray on my new 60" last year, he finally noticed the difference in pixels.

I think that 4k would be the last format I take on, but while I wait.......I will be looking into sound now. I hear the Atmos standard is nice to hear about and can't wait for HDMI 2.0 to give us the 60 fps we need.

Pleased you weren't bashing the venerable CRT - I loved them.

You are though forgetting that we benefitted from having PAL here in the Uk (and in most of Europe) which is 625 lines.

Philips Pixel Plus increased that to 833 lines, and doubled the horizontal resolution, and the result is really damned close to full HD long before it was put on the market - not just a little better.
Seeing is believing - they were amazing sets, at the peak of CRT development - everything after that was about penny-pinching.

Last edited:
......you mean like this 50" 4K LG for $1099 at Frys?
http://dealspl.us/TV_deals/p_lg-49-class-48-5-actual-diagonal-size-ub8500-series-4k

which looks amazing BTW

Well general consensus is that for the difference to be noticeable you need to go for a 60"+ screen which are still around £2500.

Gaming monitors aren't as affected by the size issue, so you don't have to take that in to consideration.

Regardless of all that though, IMO someone with a graphics card that cost between £500-£1000 is more likely to feel the need to upgrade than someone with a perfectly good HDTV they've only had a few years

Reactions: JackRegan