Safely say that 4k is...

All Blu-ray releases should be done in 4k. The last couple of movies that I've reviewed from Sony have had incredible coloring and details. I hope that other studios follow suit because 4k is the way to go

but again those movies you watched was still 1080p .... just 4k mastered content.

But yeah one could argue if you were watching that quality true 4k on 4k screen that it would look great.

I agree 4K is the way to go, but I guess it will take a couple years before we see it as a really popular thing, maybe even more.

According to reports there could be 4K blu rays at the end of 2014. Basically, Samsung Vice President said they already have the tech in place and are hoping once all the other interested party's agree, (BDA) etc... They can start releasing 4K Blu's by the end of the year, and media players capable of reading them........;)

It will be a high capacity 4 layer Blu-ray Disc.......EEK!

Last edited:
I'll probably pick up my favourites on 4K BD but certainly won't be upgrading for a while yet

According to reports there could be 4K blu rays at the end of 2014. Basically Samsung Vice President said they already have the tech in place and are hoping once all the other interested party's agree, (BDA) etc... They can start releasing 4K Blu's by the end of the year, and media players capable of reading them........;)

It will be a high capacity 4 layer Blu-ray Disc.......EEK!

Nice.... buy 4k disc for favs... throw it in my steelbook :)

I only got my Samsung TV a year ago. Its going to be a good number of years before i upgrade. 4K looks stunning but for me there isn't enough 4K content to make the jump and not to mention the cost of a 4K television at the moment.

As I posted in another thread; the 4K "hype" comes from people or companies with vested interests these just happen to be the same people or companies promoting it. Despite what you are getting told there isn't a massive drive by consumers to adopt the technology for which there is very little native content.

The hardware manufacturers desperately need a new product/technology to push to the market due to the current stagnation. You only have to look at the recent development between Sony and Panasonic (http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/2013/07/en130729-4/en130729-4.html).

Also don't forget about Sony and their 4K network ambition. If 4K is introduced I cant imagine it being a competing format, more along the lines of an extension to the current Blu-ray format in similar way to how 3D is.

Here's a question; are you happy buying a 4K TV that doesn't support HDMI 2.0?

Reactions: Agent_DVD
I only bought a 3D TV recently as they are now a sensible price.

I've seen 4K in action (at the Gadget Show Live last year), and whilst I thought it was good IMO you're gonna need a TV 60"+ to really notice the difference. I don't have the room for that size TV let alone could I afford a 4K TV that size!!

Must admit, I have no real desire to go 4K

That's not an accurate statement, the "4K mastered" discs are still in 1080p resolution. I am yet to see a real 4K BD (rez 3840 x 2160 not 1920x1080) so without any real true 4K content and TV prices in the clouds, I don't foresee 4K taking over. It's almost like a marketing ploy to double dip on movies at the moment.

Aren't movies already mastered at 4k? Isn't the original master in 4k or 8k before being edited for BD resolutions?

That's not an accurate statement, the "4K mastered" discs are still in 1080p resolution. I am yet to see a real 4K BD (rez 3840 x 2160 not 1920x1080) so without any real true 4K content and TV prices in the clouds, I don't foresee 4K taking over. It's almost like a marketing ploy to double dip on movies at the moment.

Aren't movies already mastered at 4k? Isn't the original master in 4k or 8k before being edited for BD resolutions?

I believe most are still mastered at 2K, though that is gradually changing.(could be wrong though ;) )

Any increase in quality is welcomed by me and if the price was right, of course an upgrade would be on the cards but whether or not it will have a big enough market.

In previous years it has been a struggle to even convince family members and friends that blu-ray versions of films are better quality in terms of picture and sound. If I now went back to those same people and told them about 4K as another upgrade I doubt they would believe me .

Basically its going to be a niche market and that's if they produce the goods and do the marketing right .

4k is the original master. What you have to ask is do the studios who own the movie rights really want consumers to have the master in their hand?

Being realistic it's never going to happen, no matter what the 4K consumer spec is we get for home media it will not be as good as the Digital Master which has normally been 10 bit log DPX files.

Some films like the Hobbit have been shot in 5K on RED EPIC cameras, some films have 6K & 8K transfers scans.

I believe most are still mastered at 2K, though that is gradually changing.(could be wrong though ;) )

2K is blu-ray :thumbs:

Reactions: ocielz
4k is the original master. What you have to ask is do the studios who own the movie rights really want consumers to have the master in their hand?

Being realistic it's never going to happen, no matter what the 4K consumer spec is we get for home media it will not be as good as the Digital Master which has normally been 10 bit log DPX files.

Some films like the Hobbit have been shot in 5K on RED EPIC cameras, some films have 6K & 8K transfers scans.

2K is blu-ray :thumbs:

Thanks for that clarification, I was always under the impression that a 4k or higher master is what the studios held in hand, I also knew about the what the Hobbit was shot in. So in essence it doesn't make sense for consumers to hold the same master as the studio.

In any case, I still feel 4K will just fall to the wayside unless real native 4k content is released and prices of equipment fall drastically, it simply will not overtake the market.

I saw a Demo at BB for a Samsung UHDTV and HOLY CRAP ON THE DETAILS!!!! The clarity, the colors, the EVERYTHING looked AMAZING!!!! they were showing New York Buildings and Exterior shots, the details you could see where amazing!! But in reality they just put the settings all the way up and on Dynamic mode:( After Home Calibration the Colors don't have that POP to them :(

but again those movies you watched was still 1080p .... just 4k mastered content.

But yeah one could argue if you were watching that quality true 4k on 4k screen that it would look great.

Right but what I'm saying is the last 3-4 reviews I've done have been mastered in 4k and they looks spectacular.

Come on man, don't bring down my fire :thumbs:

Right but what I'm saying is the last 3-4 reviews I've done have been mastered in 4k and they looks spectacular

As they should do if they are sympathetically restored. However, there are "Mastered In 4K" releases that are either negligible or indistinguishable upgrades when you compare the transfers. (Taxi Driver, Battle: Los Angeles, Total Recall, The Other Guys and The Amazing Spider-Man). I have yet to see a bad "Mastered" release in 4K, 6K or even 8K for that matter. You only have to look at what the 4K scans did for Maniac Cop 2 & Maniac Cop 3 to get an idea of what can be done if studios can be bothered.

Unfortunately some don't put as much effort into their current line of blu-ray releases as they do plugging 4K. I would have no problem with them touting a new addition to the current home media but when there is so much still to be released and many releases still desperately needing a new master due to incorrect AR's, compression, crush, DNR, artificial sharpening, frequent aliasing, ringing, serrated edges and aggressive bursts of razor-sharp grain I do feel affronted.

The point is that there is still zero content for the supposed 4K market and the 4K TVs being sold don't even support HDMI 2.0 so how are the people with these going to be able to watch the non existent 4K titles when they are finally released?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 4K "hype" comes from people or companies with vested interests who just happen to be the same people or companies promoting it.

Last edited: