Release Date: 15th September 2014
Buy links:
Arrow Link
Amazon
Zavvi

Format: Blu-ray
Starring: Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern, Carrie Fisher
Directed by: Joe Dante

Synopsis: HE’S A MAN OF PEACE IN A SAVAGE LAND… SUBURBIA.
The films of director Joe Dante have taken us to some strange places – a mysterious Chinatown antique store in Gremlins; a secluded resort populated by werewolves in The Howling; even deep inside the human body in Innerspace. But now he takes us to the strangest place of all – surburbia!

Family man Ray Peterson (Tom Hanks) is looking forward to a week of putting his feet up at home in the quiet, leafy cul-de-sac of Mayfield Place. But his plans are scuppered by the arrival of new next-door neighbours, The Klopeks, whose behaviour and habits are more than just a little kooky. But things go from kooky to downright sinister when local old boy Walter disappears, leading Ray and his buddies to suspect their new neighbours of killing and eating him! Sure, the Klopeks are a strange bunch what with their digging up the backyard in the middle of the night – but they’re not devil-worshipping cannibal killers… are they?

If you’re looking for a knowing slice of tongue-in-cheek terror then look no further than The ’Burbs. A standout horror comedy from a director who has given us more than his fair share of fun frighteners, The ’Burbs assembles a superb cast including Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern, Carrie Fisher and Corey Feldman in a tall tale of small-town terror. You’ll never look at those eccentric neighbours in the same way again!

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Limited Edition SteelBook packaging
High Definition digital transfer
Newly created exclusive content
Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, archive content and more!
More to be announced closer to the release date

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 310
Last edited by a moderator:
Was kindly sent this Steelbook for free from my contact at Arrow as a wedding gift. Really looking forward to sitting down and watching this and all of the extras.....just gotta find the time to fit it in.

Reactions: roo and Lukesablade
Was kindly sent this Steelbook for free from my contact at Arrow as a wedding gift. Really looking forward to sitting down and watching this and all of the extras.....just gotta find the time to fit it in.
Just got mine today aswell. Feels like I've been waiting for forever for this!

Can't wait to see it again in HD. The booklet alone looks like it will be a great read!

Can't wait for this, Arrowfilms doing another great job with the artwork, great booklets too. Hope to see more classics getting the arrow treatment, even more so since studios are putting out artwork that leave a lot to be desired for.

Received mine today from Amazon, annoyingly the case was stuck to the sticky part of the box instead of the piece of plastic that they use to hold the case still and in place. Luckily other that a tare in the shrink wrap on the Blu-ray that was no damage.

I like the booklet received in this one.

I recently sent a lot of DVDs to music magpie (to free up space for when the baby comes) and several had info booklets inside. They should do this i feel on new releases. Something extra and well basically i like it.

YES!

Got mine today, ordered from amazon UK. I'm aussie and it was the steelbook hence the delay.

Tiny bit disappointed. They did a whole workprint discovery and put lots into a documentary but did not find the 5.1 mix for those wanting an upgrade over the DVD audio?? A surround lossless mix could easily have been included as well as original 2.0 as HD

This is just like Man from snowy river. In the DVD era it got a hi-res upgrade from the original elements into a high class 5.1 mix that increased dynamics and fidelity. Yet obviously a lossy version was seen on the DVD. With the blu-ray release it being only 2.0 the original elements I assume, not upgraded, made its way to a DTS-HD 2.0 release. Thus losing the investment spent on the dvd.

It means any upgrades to fidelity done to the original elements will be lost. Native subwoofer channel for instance is vital to making (imo) films after the 1970's become as relevant today.

A film like this with its darkness could benefit from a beefier presence on the thunder/lightning (not to mention surround ambiance), the door slams, the impacts in the actiony bits, the creepy klopek furnace elements, and the score. Also having the dialogue coming from my centre speaker only.

Haven't listened but I imagine it will feel relatively weak. I'm as much about sound as I am a 2k restoration for the visuals.

I see the australian version coming out only has 2.0 audio too. Hopefully whenever a U.S version comes out it'll have 5.1. I'd double dip for the choice of lossless.

Very very happy with the steelbook! Its looks and condition of delivery. It came without any wear or damage and was only in a cardboard slip parcel.....

Last edited: