The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
****** situation to be in gbDragon. My rule is basically this when selling online wether its on eBay or the forums: If I get paid paypal gift Ill ship it marked however you want and which ever way you want. If i get paid paypal regular (which is what eBay payments always are) I simply will not mark the value of the package down when shipping UNLESS I have come to know you personally over time on the forums, etc. or at my discretion Im willing to trust you (the feedback systems on the forums here and elsewhere are a tremendous help in this regard and since you can see who they have dealt with before if your still unsure you can simply send a couple other people that have dealt with them before a quick PM and if they have nothing but positive things to say your probably safe.... gotta' trust a situation at times without insurance but do it after you have done your due diligence).

In my experience I dont rely one bit on paypal or eBay to fight for me as a seller and my only course of action when someone makes a faulty claim for a damaged or not received item to get my monetary value of what I sent back is through a claim with the shipping company I used. Only had to file once and I got my money back.

On the flip side as a buyer once AGAIN I dont rely on eBay and paypal one bit (there no one's friend, the buyer or seller, they just want there fees) to fight for me and get my money back if I got caught in a situation with a scummy seller so unless its a forum transaction with someone at my discretion I am willing to trust I ALWAYS pay via credit card option on paypal for eBay and other purchases because my credit card company will always fight for me and the 4 claims I have had to file in 10+ years of online buying they have given me money back every time.

Thankfully, we have some pretty awesome members here on HDN and I have been buying & selling using paypal gift (saving everyone the fees) for almost all of the steelbook transactions so its great. But not all forums and the least of them eBay are places as trustworthy as here.

Sometimes in haste of trying to get an item sold we will brush off our gut instinct.... always a mistake. I really hope this D-Bag that is trying to con' you has the ultimate ***** of the universe pay him a visit, Karma. Without a doubt though fight this till' the end and make it as hard as possible on him as you can GB. All the possible advice that could have been given has already been shared by other members above to fight the claim as much as possible. Who know's maybe he might just back off.

I dont care what anyone says - If he is a crook looking to scam - he will find a way and be sucessfull.

@gb i have dealt with someone with that nick- is his first name Andreas?

If so you can contact me if you like.

Otherwise no need to make it sound good where it is not..

@sunnyx - i pack also very good as alot of members can state but never the less merchandise does get damaged along the way. If you see how they "throw", "stamp" on those smaller packages then you would know that a damage is possible . Im not saying it was damaged, just tring to state my experience with stuff like this.

There are parts of the UK (that belong to the UK ) that are not in the EU. Like the Jersey Islands, its also UK but is NOT in the EU (for tax purposes) Maybe this person was just illiterate on this matter - EU or not EU.

GB i do hope you can settle this claim and that you win , and i am sorry to hear that you had to experience something like this.

Take care
John

I want to thank every for the words of advice and support it means alot to me to be part of a great community:scat:

Latest update:

I have just received a response from this scum bag and guess what ? he has escalated the case to paypal :angry:

This is what he replied to the requests for proof of pictures:

(DER VERKÄUFER MELDET SICH NICHT !SCHEINT KEIN INTERESSE ZU HABEN !ALLES DEFEKT VERSENDET !DAS METALL VERKRATZT UND EINGEDELLT !)

Google translate:
SELLER SAYS NOT! SEEMS TO HAVE NO INTEREST! DEFECT ALL SHIPS! THE METAL scratched and dented!:angry:

PAYPAL IS REQUESTING THE FOLLOWING...What would be my best option???

Issue the buyer a refund for the disputed amount of £ GBP. The buyer can keep the item(s).
Issue the buyer a refund for the disputed amount of £ GBP. The buyer must return the item(s).
Offer the buyer a partial refund in an attempt to close this claim.
Provide proof that the buyer has already been refunded.
Disagree with claim. I would like to provide additional information.

Anyone that has been through this process please help?

Thank you

This is what I learned recently with opening a case directly at PayPal by skipping eBay.

1. Open Item not as described dispute (which is fine)

2. PayPal mostly forces buyer to return the items (which is again fine)

Here comes the catch

3. PayPal expects Buyer to return damaged goods using tracked option and expects seller to refund only what the buyer paid and not the return shipping cost. This means buyer ultimately becomes the loser. Having said that, Buyer can negotiate with the seller to return the items by AirMail. Seller usually accepts but there is a possibility of non-receipt claim. This in some sense is good as buyer can file lost claim with Royal Mail for a full refund including cost of return shipping as long as the total value is under 50 GBP.

Always take pictures of inbound packages and outbound packages to protect yourself from false claims. This could be a painful task but gives you a bit of peace of mind.

GB,

In your case, you should call PayPal and ask them to pressurize the claimant to provide pictures. If he/she deliberately breaks them then can't do much about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
does Paypal/ebay know he that he first tried to claim he never received the item and than after you provided the proof, he decided the item was badly packaged & crushed?

Abdul, I agree with Ganesh. Call them and explain the entire situation to them. Discuss every single point as clearly and concisely as you can and make sure they understand what you mean.

With regards to returning items to seller Ganesh is right. eBay is very flawed in that they ask for the buyer to return damaged items at their cost so buyer ultimately looses out. I now ask sellers to double check that the item is minty mint, and if it arrives with imperfections I ask for it to returned and the seller to cover the postage cost. In my mind, I've given them the option to carefully inspect before they send to me and if they fail to do that properly they should be liable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: lgans316
This is what I learned recently with opening a case directly at PayPal by skipping eBay.

1. Open Item not as described dispute (which is fine)

2. PayPal mostly forces buyer to return the items (which is again fine)

Here comes the catch

3. PayPal expects Buyer to return damaged goods using tracked option and expects seller to refund only what the buyer paid and not the return shipping cost. This means buyer ultimately becomes the loser. Having said that, Buyer can negotiate with the seller to return the items by AirMail. Seller usually accepts but there is a possibility of non-receipt claim. This in some sense is good as buyer can file lost claim with Royal Mail for a full refund including cost of return shipping as long as the total value is under 50 GBP.

Always take pictures of inbound packages and outbound packages to protect yourself from false claims. This could be a painful task but gives you a bit of peace of mind.

GB,

In your case, you should call PayPal and ask them to pressurize the claimant to provide pictures. If he/she deliberately breaks them then can't do much about it.

Ganesh and Raj

Thanks for the advice.
I always do my best to provide a good service to members and buyers.

In this case if the buyer was honest and not a scammer I would most happy give him a full refund without hesitating and file a claim with Royal Mail. The fact that he just opened a case without any communication and then lied about scratches and dents that's what's annoying me. The item was factory sealed and any imperfection was mentioned and backed up with pictures on eBay.

I will call paypal tomorrow and ask them to ask the buyer to provide pictures...

A member on here has noticed this scumbag 'blufan84' selling a unsealed mint Iron Man DE with Death race on his Ebay account.

Reactions: Jason Bourne
why would he tear off the shrinkwrap and sell it as used?

i think what is more likely is that he kept your mint sealed copy, and is now selling his own opened copy

why would he tear off the shrinkwrap and sell it as used?

i think what is more likely is that he kept your mint sealed copy, and is now selling his own opened copy

if i had to bet on it id say he took the seal off (as there was tears in it) and then stuck it up for sale, too much of a coincidence for me.

gbdragon this may not be of much help but he bought a Highlander steelbook 25. 10 .12 and is now selling it I think that contravenes ebay rules although I could be VERY wrong.

I always look at feedback as some thing are listed as new yet there is the feedback for the same item durrrr.

UPDATE:

I have spoken to paypal re: Blufans84

paypal will be requesting the buyer to return my IRON MAN DE and provide tracking number. I was told if the item i receive is not my item or an empty box i should contact them straight away.

I did ask if i should do a unboxing video when the package arrives and provide as proof. Paypal said NO! they would request me to sign a form and report it to the police because technically its THEFT what he has committed.

Lets see now what this scum returns:angry:

we had initially agreed to a trade involving his romeo and juliet, and upon seeing that he has no feedback, i asked him to ship first. he declined, and i hesitantly pulled off the trade. for once i am glad that i listened to my gut

What a complete and utter scumbag! Glad you listened to your gut. I asked him to send first as well.

UPDATE:

paypal will be requesting the buyer to return my IRON MAN DE and provide tracking number. I was told if the item i receive is not my item or an empty box i should contact them straight away.

I did ask if i should do a unboxing video when the package arrives and provide as proof. Paypal said NO! they would request me to sign a form and report it to the police because technically its THEFT what he has committed.

But what happens if you receive an opened Iron Man?

UPDATE:

Personally, I would still take the video for your own purposes. And probably pictures of the package from every angle before you open it.

You can't go back and shoot it after you open the package. You never can have too little proof / documentation, imo.

Last edited: