Release date: August 7, 2017
Purchase link: The Game (live)
Price: £15.99

11466493-1404481944916469.jpg

11466493-2394481945055387.jpg

11466493-1624481945009706.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Such a random time to go live for a catalogue title - around 1.52am going by Acids post

Actualy after I made that post I had realized that when @snooloui updated his OP was the first indication of it going live. I was late to the game. oops

Ahh that's seems more normal then

Still there wasn't mush interest though

Maybe a different story if the disc was remastered

• Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
I'm going to take my chances for this later on if I'm still interested, I buy very little from Zavvi now and this is not in my top priorities for releases.

If I knew for sure it had some gloss and embossing I'd be all in.
Didn't even realise this had been posted, arrived today. Looks a lot better than I was expecting, head, title and jigsaw pieces including the 20th anniversary piece all embossed. Can't comment on gloss as I'm pretty terrible at recognising different finishes and I haven't unsealed it yet. Sorry I can't take pics, my phone is broken

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Stygian
Didn't even realise this had been posted, arrived today. Looks a lot better than I was expecting, head, title and jigsaw pieces including the 20th anniversary piece all embossed. Can't comment on gloss as I'm pretty terrible at recognising different finishes and I haven't unsealed it yet. Sorry I can't take pics, my phone is broken

You made me purchase a copy just from your description.

And now that I have seen the picture of the delivered steelbook above, I'm glad I did.

Weird thing is, up until yesterday I never liked this image. But now it seems to really stand out.

• Thanks
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
It has been reported earlier, I believe, in this thread that there isn't anything new or cleaned up or anything like that.

Yes, according to information from Universal, Germany this will "be a repack".
Don't believe it for a minute . . . and as they've gone to the trouble of plonking "20th Anniversary" on the front (not even as a removable sticker) there damn well better be the newer transfer of the film that was carried out for the film's 15th Anniversary . . . . so, until re-confirmed, I'd like to think there's a chance of us getting the newer Universal disc included in the U.S. region free release of 2015 instead of the disc released here in the U.K. (and elsewhere) in 2010

Should be disc from this release (hopefully):-
125340_large.jpg

. . . with a couple of reviews of this disc:-
"THE GAME
Very good

I have the first release and got this to compare. Video is way better clean crisp and as good as the Criterion release..thats all i got say."

"The Game
Recommended.
Note: Budget friendly option for those interested in owning a quality release of the film in HD, but who do not wish to shell out the money for the expensive Criterion Blu. While I haven't personally screened the Criterion disc, it appears to me that this Universal Best Buy exclusive is either a direct port of that particular transfer, or emulates it very closely. The reason I say this is because the presentation is just too good here, and is not indicative of the type of shoddy work Universal generally performs on its older catalog titles. For those wondering, this is definitely NOT a port of Universal's previous VC-1 HD-DVD and overseas Blu-ray releases. This is a 50GB disc with a relatively high bit-rate that seems to hover consistently around 30Mbps. Included are a single English DTS-HD 5.1 audio option (the Criterion release has two), a French DTS 5.1 offering and two trailers (teaser and theatrical) as bonus features. Anyone who has a need or desire for the numerous bonus materials that exist for this movie, will want to opt for the Criterion edition."

Criterion's region "A" locked release from 2012 uses the same disc as this but includes a wealth of Extras for the film's 15th Anniversary not included on the two trailers as Extras cheaper disc.

Review of the 2012 Criterion / 2015 Universal release here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Game-Blu-ray/39030/#Review
Review of the 2010 U.K. release here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Game-Blu-ray/15583/#Review

b01aa7fd34b2488fb18574f8bb2d956f.png

Last edited: