The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - In theaters December 14, 2012

Apr 2, 2009
From IMDB:
A younger and more reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out on a "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of Dwarves to reclaim a their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug.
With: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage and much much more...

Trailer:
[media=youtube]G0k3kHtyoqc[/media]

Old post:
In an article at Variety talking about New Line Cinema, which two years ago became a unit under Warner Bros.Pictures, studio executive Alan Horn reveals that the first of the two Hobbit films may not hit theaters until late 2012, a full year after the previously-announced December 2011 release:

Once the script for the second film is in -- Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are working on it with Del Toro -- New Line will work up a budget for both films and start casting. New Line exec Michael Disco, who was once Emmerich's assistant, will oversee for the studio.

Horn won't predict when the first of the two "Hobbit" films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

"It's a big bet for us. But it's one we think will pay off given the success of 'Lord of the Rings,'" says Emmerich. "This is one of the few movies it feels like people are waiting for."

New Line's original plan was to release the first film in December 2011, followed by the second one in December 2012. One reason for the delay may be the restructuring of MGM, which shares the financing rights with New Line for the "Hobbit" films. MGM is currently accepting bids for the studio and those rights may go to another studio (Warner Bros. is said to be one of the bidders).
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62637

Attachments

• THE-HOBBIT-AN-UNEXPECTED-JOURNEY-Poster.jpg
    THE-HOBBIT-AN-UNEXPECTED-JOURNEY-Poster.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
Guillermo del Toro Confirms Hobbit Delay

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66472

Speaking moments ago at a press conference for his latest production, Splice, Guillermo del Toro responded to questions about the state of The Hobbit, saying that the film does not have a start date, nor will it until MGM sorts out its financial troubles.

"It's not greenlit," said del Toro, "That's categorical... We've been caught in a very tangled negotiation... There cannot be any start dates until the MGM situation gets resolved. They do hold a considerable portion of the rights."

Responding to rumors that the film would shoot in 3D, del Toro said that, while 3D remains a possiblity, it has been discussed "literally once" in the production offices and it is not being planned at this time. The current production budget has been drawn without 3D in mind.

Admitting no predictable timeline for a start date, del Toro theorized one possible outcome that would see MGM sharing or selling off the rights. Nevertheless, he feels confident that the film will move forward as soon as a decision is made.

"We have designed all the creatures," he said, "We've designed the sets and the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned battles sequences.... We are very, very prepared for when it is finally triggered."

I suppose I should ask, does this mean the extended versions of LOTR are delayed as well? Wasn't the idea of not releasing the extended versions yet was to release them close to the release of The Hobbit?

Now he has quit The Hobbit

Del Toro Exits The Hobbit
Say goodbye to Middle-earth.
May 30, 2010
by Scott Collura

Guillermo del Toro's perfect job directing The Hobbit? Not so perfect, as it turns out. In fact, he's quit the gig.

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming The Hobbit, I am faced with the hardest decision of my life," del Toro said in a statement on The OneRing.net. "After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle-earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

While the filmmaker did note he will continue to co-write the screenplays (the J.R.R Tolkien novel is to be adapted into two feature films) with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens, any chance of him returning to the project after rights co-owner MGM/UA finds itself a buyer (the studio put itself up for sale back in November 2009) is all but dead.

"I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product," added del Toro. "I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Peter Jackon Won't Direct The Hobbit

hough he's the obvious choice now that Guillermo Del Toro has jumped ship, Lord Of The Rings director Peter Jackson will not be stepping up to direct The Hobbit.

The idea was brought before Jackson’s manager, Ken Kamins, who was quick to squash any hope that his client would get involved:

“As for Peter directing, that’s not something he can consider at this time as he has other commitments to other projects. But make no mistake, Peter and Fran’s commitment to the franchise is total and will do everything necessary to protect the films and the investment made by New Line, [parent company] Warner Bros. and MGM.”

Nobody has yet to be officially offered the director's chair for the upcoming film The Hobbit, but the 2 studios are doing everything they can to convince Peter Jackson that he's the man for the job.

But other filmmakers are interested as well including David Yates, David Dobkin and Brett Ratner.

Peter Jackson IS In Negotiations To Direct The Hobbit!

Right on the heels of Guillermo del Toro dropping out of the troubled production of The Hobbit, original Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is apparently in final negotiations to take the reigns back and film the fantasy prequels back-to-back in New Zealand!

Ian McKellan Dropping Out Of The Hobbit?

Production of The Hobbit, the prequel to The Lord of the Rings films, has pretty much been troubled since day one, but now we're hearing news that Sir Ian McKellen may put the final nail in the coffin - by dropping out as Gandalf!

He reveals:

"Well I'm not under contract and my time is running out and I'm enjoying working in the theatre and frankly, I would like to race after doing 'Waiting For Godot,' get on with doing another play but we'll have to see. I don't give the producers the impression that I'm sitting waiting. What it will be I genuinely don't know. It'll either be, we're going ahead or we're not."

Peter Jackson Meets With Actors For The Hobbit

Although The Hobbit hasn't officially been greenlighted, director Peter Jackson took some meetings this week in El Lay with the actors and he will also stop in New York and the UK for the casting trip.

Rumor has it that Jackson's deal with Warner Bros. to direct The Hobbit is almost done, but apparently it's the ****** financial situation at MGM that's holding everything up.

Hobbit Update

So “The Hobbit” will be in 3-D. That is a measure of how much the movie world has changed in the last year or so. In the dimly remembered recesses of, oh, 2009, people involved with the two-movie version of the J. R. R. Tolkien book, then to be directed by Guillermo del Toro, insisted that 2-D screen technology was just right for a pair of movies that were viewed as being a little more intimate than their sweeping precursors in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. Then came “Avatar,” “Alice in Wonderland,” and even the much-maligned “Clash of the Titans” — one film after another proving that viewers would pay a premium for 3-D, as long as the underlying movie wasn’t an utter bust.

As “The Hobbit” now nears a green light, with the director Peter Jackson, after months of behind-the-scenes dealmaking, it emerges, according to a person briefed on the plans (but speaking on the condition of anonymity, as the deal is not yet closed), with the inevitable third dimension. And never mind all the cheering at Comic-Con in July, when panelists in a Middle Earth-oriented session repeated the now-defunct promise that the picture would be 2-D.

It looks as if the first “Hobbit” film will have something else in common with “Avatar.” The plan is for a release on or about Dec. 19, 2012, approximating the Dec. 18 release date that was good to “Avatar” last year. Then again, the makers of “Avatar” probably noticed that Mr. Jackson pretty much owned that slot with his three “Lord of the Rings” films, in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Hobbit Update 2

Ian McKellen Waiting for “Hobbit” Papers

Sir Ian McKellen was one of the many celebs at the “Les Miz” 25th anniversary show on Sunday night at London’s O2 Arena.

Just finished with a stage production of “Waiting for Godot,” Sir Ian is now Waiting for Peter Jackson. He’s supposed to appear in Jackson’s “Hobbit” movie, and is hopeful that the lawyers involved will have papers for him to sign soon so he can reprise the pivotal role of Gandalf.

“It’s still a matter of MGM and Warner Bros. sorting things out, but I’m told they’re close.”

Sir Ian also told me that he’s never heard a word from anyone about the upcoming reboot of “X Men.” McKellen has played Magneto in the first three films.

“The last I heard, nothing was happening. Then I read about the new production.” Likewise, he hasn’t heard about the new “Wolverine” or anything new from the Marvel-Fox productions.

Sir Ian was busting with pride about “Les Miz” and the fantastic 25th anniversary show put on Sunday night by Cameron Mackintosh. “And it’s British!” he declared. “Americans aren’t the only ones who can do musicals.”

The Hobbit Gets A Greenlight!!!!

The Hobbit” is now greenlit and will begin principal photography in February 2011, MGM, Warner Brothers, and New Line, have confirmed.

As TheWrap reported exclusively earlier Friday (below), Peter Jackson will direct the two-part film.

“Exploring Tolkien’s Middle-earth goes way beyond a normal film-making experience” Jackson said in a statement, "It’s an all-immersive journey into a very special place of imagination, beauty and drama. We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo -- and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM."

I'm soooooo excited!!!!! I need to watch the LOTR trilogy again. Still remember reading The Hobbit in 5th grade like it was yesterday.