'The Hunger Games' Megathread-in theaters March 23,2012

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
hungergames_imax23.jpg

[media=youtube]p-5ANq4sAL0[/media]

Lionsgate® and the filmmakers of THE HUNGER GAMES are pleased to announce that actor Josh Hutcherson (THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT) has been cast in the role of Peeta Mellark, with Liam Hemsworth (THE LAST SONG) joining the film in the role of Gale Hawthorne in the much anticipated film adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ worldwide smash hit novel. Both actors will star opposite Jennifer Lawrence, who it was recently announced will play heroine Katniss Everdeen.

About The Characters:

Peeta accompanies heroine Katniss Everdeen into the 74th annual Hunger Games as the male tribute chosen from their native District 12, the most remote and marginalized district of all the subjugated districts of Panem. At the outset of the Games, Peeta publicly confesses his longtime feelings for Katniss, setting up one of the most fascinating fictional rapports of all time with his supposed arena rival.

Though Katniss and Gale have never had a romantic relationship, they share a transcendent bond, often of few words. When Katniss volunteers to participate in the 74th Annual Hunger Games in her younger sister’s stead, they both presume that bond will carry her far through the horrors she will face in the arena, and they each silently hope they’ll be reunited in safety on the other side of the ordeal.

About The Film

THE HUNGER GAMES will be directed by Gary Ross, and produced by Nina Jacobson’s Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. Collins’ best-selling novel, which has over 3 million copies in print in the United States alone, is the first in a trilogy of science fiction/action novels which have developed a global following.

“The Hunger Games” chronicles a dystopic Capitol which requires its twelve subjugated districts to pay tribute in the form of a teenage boy and girl, forced to participate in the annual “Hunger Games,” a fight-to-the-death live televised event. Katniss Everdeen’s little sister is chosen in the lottery to participate and Katniss volunteers to take her place. Although persevering through hardship is commonplace for Katniss, she must start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love in order to win the games and return home. The Hunger Games novel has been on the New York Times best seller list for over 100 consecutive weeks. Foreign rights for the book, published by Scholastic have been sold in 41 countries.

Lionsgate will release “The Hunger Games” on March 23, 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife wants to see this bad .... I'll be tagging a long ... I'll go in open minded...

Watched it last night with my sister, at the midnight screening. I was actually impressed and pleasantly surprised with the film, as I was sure it's going to be boring. I didn't read the book, so I can't compare. But on its own, this film definitely succeeds to deliver the goods. Though the special effects are not that good at all, and the directing work of the action scenes felt terrible and annoying to me. It had a general feeling they are trying to avoid showing anything real, which was understandable as it's a PG-13 film but also disappointing. All and all it's a good film and I definitely recommend it.

Oh and it will be awesome if there would be an Unrated Cut with the Blu-ray, the film certainly will be better.

Watched it last night with my sister, at the midnight screening. I was actually impressed and pleasantly surprised with the film, as I was sure it's going to be boring. I didn't read the book, so I can't compare. But on its own, this film definitely succeeds to deliver the goods. Though the special effects are not that good at all, and the directing work of the action scenes felt terrible and annoying to me. It had a general feeling they are trying to avoid showing anything real, which was understandable as it's a PG-13 film but also disappointing. All and all it's a good film and I definitely recommend it.

Oh and it will be awesome if there would be an Unrated Cut with the Blu-ray, the film certainly will be better.

Bingo!!! Definitely need some more action (i.e. death scenes) than what was presented.

Reactions: Murdock
Going to see this tonight. I have never read any of the books and know nothing of the series. I hope I like it.

I liked it overall ... very slow start, but I get the "character development" essence of it.

I would go see a 2nd. While this one needed more action etc. I hear from my wife who has read the 2nd book that it gets more wild and crazy then. However this film will never wanna go R rated so I suspect them all to be dumbed down a bit in that regard (death scenes etc) for the entire franchise.

Battle Royale, one I have yet to see but heard and know a lot is going to be the one you want to see if you wanna see vicious etc.

Though Battle Royale is indeed more 'extreme' in terms of violence and such, I personally think 'The Hunger Games' is a lot better plot-wise and I have enjoyed it better.

I really enjoyed the film. For a YA Book series, they still conveyed the sadness of Children being thrust into this situation very well, and the extreme difference between the 'detached from reality' Capital and the 'regular' people oppressed. The comparison vs. Battle Royale was unavoidable, but is unfortunate, as the former was 'deliberately' about 'shock and awe', while this is more about the characters, larger story arc, and is meant to be a provocative story for 'Young Adult' audience (though the appeal is obviously much wider). Great metaphors for many aspects of current world-wide society, and as in Winter's Bone, Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic in her role as Katniss. There were some details missing from the book that would have further flushed out some important 'ways of life' of this society, collectively, but the way the death scenes were done and tension created were appropriate to its audience. I look forward to the other books/movies. Well done, for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Bourne
Went to go watch this today... but the show was just packed in with high-school'ers when we arrived so we left, lol. Watch it another day I guess. Sounds like all around positive reviews.

just saw Hunger Games today. I loved it! Thought the character development was really well done and the emotion was captured in fantastic manner. Wish this was a R rated movie though so they could make it a bit more gruesome IMO. But not a biggy. Will definitely be hoping for a steelbook for this, lol, and go watch the 2nd one in theatre for sure. I heard that the studio pretty much green lit three movies right from the get-go.

A job very well done. It lived up to the hype for me at least.

I enjoyed this very much. Never read the books, but yeah, the character development was nice!

Will def. wait for the 2nd and 3rd!

I enjoyed this very much. Never read the books, but yeah, the character development was nice!

Will def. wait for the 2nd and 3rd!

Yeah agreed. Hunger Games and Safe House are probably my favourite theatrical releases of 2012 so far.

MAJOR SPOILER IN THIS COMMENT BELOW... DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANT ANYTHING SPOILED....

Im not one to get emotional easily but wow when that girl Rue dies it was really sad... wasn't it? Or was I alone on that one...