Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
51P-OVFu7AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002T9H2L0/?tag=hidefnin-20

RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 15th 2009

Although Quentin Tarantino has cherished Enzo G. Castellari's 1978 "macaroni" war flick The Inglorious Bastards for most of his film-geek life, his own Inglourious Basterds is no remake. Instead, as hinted by the Tarantino-esque misspelling, this is a lunatic fantasia of WWII, a brazen re-imagining of both history and the behind-enemy-lines war film subgenre. There's a Dirty Not-Quite-Dozen of mostly Jewish commandos, led by a Tennessee good ol' boy named Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) who reckons each warrior owes him one hundred Nazi scalps--and he means that literally. Even as Raine's band strikes terror into the Nazi occupiers of France, a diabolically smart and self-assured German officer named Landa (Christoph Waltz) is busy validating his own legend as "The Jew Hunter." Along the way, he wipes out the rural family of a grave young girl (Melanie Laurent) who will reappear years later in Paris, dreaming of vengeance on an epic scale.

Now, this isn't one more big-screen comic book. As the masterly opening sequence reaffirms, Tarantino is a true filmmaker, with a deep respect for the integrity of screen space and the tension that can accumulate in contemplating two men seated at a table having a polite conversation. IB reunites QT with cinematographer Robert Richardson (who shot Kill Bill), and the colors and textures they serve up can be riveting, from the eerie red-hot glow of a tabletop in Adolf Hitler's den, to the creamy swirl of a Parisian pastry in which Landa parks his cigarette. The action has been divided, Pulp Fiction-like, into five chapters, each featuring at least one spellbinding set-piece. It's testimony to the integrity we mentioned that Tarantino can lock in the ferocious suspense of a scene for minutes on end, then explode the situation almost faster than the eye and ear can register, and then take the rest of the sequence to a new, wholly unanticipated level within seconds.

Again, be warned: This is not your "Greatest Generation," Saving Private Ryan WWII. The sadism of Raine and his boys can be as unsavory as the Nazi variety; Tarantino's latest cinematic protégé, Eli (director of Hostel) Roth, is aptly cast as a self-styled "golem" fond of pulping Nazis with a baseball bat. But get past that, and the sometimes disconcerting shifts to another location and another set of characters, and the movie should gather you up like a growing floodtide. Tarantino told the Cannes Film Festival audience that he wanted to show "Adolf Hitler defeated by cinema." Cinema wins. --Richard T. Jameson

Here's some of my stuff :D

Oh, and some more for good measure...

picture.php

what the heck is that white MB spain version? Is this something I'm missing!? EEK! A slip version?

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

That's great but doesn't answer my question :hilarious:
Very nice collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm after every single tarantino movie on steelbook.
I have 2 x German (Embossed and non Embossed)
2 x France (FNAC and Horizontal 'collectors' edition')
Canadian Debossed, and I think i'm missing only the FS one?? <<<<:wtf:
:D

German and France box set ... both contain steels. FR shouldnt be too bad but good luck with the DE one as it was limited to 1k. If you have no probs not including box sets then u could grab just the French steel but its same as fnac minus the art cards.

Thanks guys. I don't consider the FNAC, standard france and box set different, thus only have one. Only sometimes do they stay sealed as well. I still haven't really got to the bottom of it, just collecting G1 tarantino Blu Ray steelbooks. The only exception might be Death Proof HD DVD steel but I might not bother.

Wreck, I remember reading AGES ago that you're also missing the Polish Amaray/Slip also? Not sure how it's different. The Maltidos Bastardos sounds awesome. The Avengers also sounds better in spanish IMO.

Hey HUBMUSWELL - does the box set you have, top left in your pic, come with a DVD or blu ray? I bought the same thing recently - was advertised as blu ray but box says DVD.

Last edited:
Have to share this guys my Mum who is 79 came down to our house as she had wanted to see it for ages ALWAYS a reason not to visit.

Last Friday 28.02.14 finally yes she sat and watched it the whole way through ( I have to grimmace at some places).

Mum was moaning it WAS NOT GORY ENOUGH !! EEK! .

I only hope IF I make it anywhere near her numerical age I still remain as open mind and hearted as what she is. A Kick Ass Mumsey :thumbs::D.