01.jpg

02.jpg

ukthing1.jpg

ukthing2.jpg

ukthing3.jpg

ukthing4.jpg

ukthing5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm a true fan, so it has been pre-ordered.

if it just said The Thing... on the steelbook, i'd buy it. if it landed in crap, i'd buy it.

Pre-ordering it doesn't make you a true fan, one can argue that being a true fan means you shouldn't order this travesty of a steelbook!

So please do not demean any fan that hasn't put in an order for this.

It's not horizontal and vertical. The back artwork is horizontal also. The character with the hood is standing on the extreme left of the back cover and the right hand side fades to white. Look at the Universal writing at the bottom. It's centered like all the other Universal horizontals.

Dont want to argue but had another look and the rear image is definitely portrait compared to the landscape front, look at the images on top of one another (on the order page linked above) and you can clearly see it! Agree with ManOfSteel on this one, one of my all time favourite films and one of the best Blu ray transfers I've ever seen, especially given the films age but no matter how much I love my steels I'm not gonna buy this for the sake of it, deserves better

Dont want to argue but had another look and the rear image is definitely portrait compared to the landscape front, look at the images on top of one another (on the order page linked above) and you can clearly see it! Agree with ManOfSteel on this one, one of my all time favourite films and one of the best Blu ray transfers I've ever seen, especially given the films age but no matter how much I love my steels I'm not gonna buy this for the sake of it, deserves better

No it isn't, look where the text is on the bottom of the back, it's always in the centre on every steelbook. On this steelbook, if it was vertical it would be off centre so it's obvious the the design fades into white from left to right.

Reactions: Konflick
The back is Landscape, the far right is so white that the web page has zoomed it in to look Portrait.

If you try and scale it as shown for portrait is is about 2cm's too wide.

Such a shame... this thread should be about how awesome it is to have The Thing in steelbook form... yet they picked such an atrocious cover that all we can do is cancel our orders. :(

No it isn't, look where the text is on the bottom of the back, it's always in the centre on every steelbook. On this steelbook, if it was vertical it would be off centre so it's obvious the the design fades into white from left to right.

Oops, yep I can see it now, feel a bit stupid now :emb:My apologies! But because it's been so poorly designed it threw me off, image just doesn't work squashed up to one side like that IMO! Still, really disappointed they didnt just make it vertical if it worked better, Adjustment Bureau was

Well decided to cancel this fom play after much pondering :(

I have got rid of the silly digital copy from my French steelbook of THE THING 2011 and put in my 82 version and 2011 version looks lovely.:oohyeah:

Reactions: bgmat58
i think a lot of people are telling porky pies here.

all of this talk of cancelling pre-orders etc.. YET, the steelbook is still one of the top sellers on play.com

I reckon you are all keeping your orders, and adding an extra copy to them.

play could never change the artwork now, since too many people have pre-ordered it. and most may have pre-ordered it because of the current artwork. they cannot risk changing it now.

i dont like the artwork, but it is staying pre-ordered.

Well I have cancelled and I have no reason to lie about it. I was looking forward to getting this steelbook but will not be buying it with that artwork.

I agree. I bet this is still selling like hot cakes with the fan boys! :naughty:

OK the artwork isn't the best, and yes, it WOULD be better if it was ice-blue and not Matrixy green! But so far this is the only Steelbook release of this classic movie with clean front and back artwork (And you never know, could have a debossed title!) And for €13.50????? As some member mentioned-if it just had the title on the front I too would still pick it up for that price.

I think we've been spoiled with all the recent Steelbook releases and people are starting to get very picky now and are expecting great things every time. Unfortunately, you cannot please everyone all of the time.

I for one am just glad it got an English Steelbook release :dunno:

And I bet a lot of other people are too proud to mention this also :p

Last edited:
Reactions: barrycameron
I, for one, am not lying about not ordering this. I'm about as big a "The Thing" fanboy as you can get, it's my favorite movie of all time along with Jaws and was fully prepared to order. But this artwork is horrendous, so I will not be buying.

The only possible way I buy this is when the back art is officially revealed and it's high quality, in which case I could just display it backward.

I, for one, am not lying about not ordering this. I'm about as big a "The Thing" fanboy as you can get, it's my favorite movie of all time along with Jaws and was fully prepared to order. But this artwork is horrendous, so I will not be buying.

The only possible way I buy this is when the back art is officially revealed and it's high quality, in which case I could just display it backward.

The back artwork is already up at Play.com