Release Date: 17th August 2015
Purchase links & prices:
Amazon.uk £25.25
Zavvi £34.99
Arrow £27.99

81w7z6WFCDL._SL1500_.jpg
81vS2Mt8YaL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to buy items like that at full price. I call it supporting the company. It's the "wait for the sale" mentality that will kill physical media in the long term if people don't wise up.

I'll resist looking at unboxings. Already know the artwork but I want a little surprise left when it reaches me in terms of presentation. :naughty:

Seriously chilling and thoughtful film. I particulalry like how it tips a respectful nod to Poltergeist .

Given that principal photography on Videodrome wrapped in December of 1981 and Poltergeist wasn't released until June of 1982, any similarities are purely coincidental. Cronenberg doesn't nod, he gets nodded at. Even if he did nod, he certainly wouldn't nod at a big Hollywood summer blockbuster (although Poltergeist is exceptionally good for such a film).

Given that principal photography on Videodrome wrapped in December of 1981 and Poltergeist wasn't released until June of 1982, any similarities are purely coincidental. Cronenberg doesn't nod, he gets nodded at. Even if he did nod, he certainly wouldn't nod at a big Hollywood summer blockbuster (although Poltergeist is exceptionally good for such a film).

Principal photography on Poltergeist was completed 6 months before Videodrome even began shoting; script was completed some time before that. So not necessarily coincidental.

Must disagree about Poltergeist being a 'Hollywood Summer Blockbuster' Released in Summer, yes; but the cast are not A-list, and the budget was miniscule at $10million - If you are producing a 'blockbuster' by design you would aim for significantly bolder casting, and significantly better financed as a prerequisite.

Principal photography on Poltergeist was completed 6 months before Videodrome even began shoting; script was completed some time before that. So not necessarily coincidental.

Must disagree about Poltergeist being a 'Hollywood Summer Blockbuster' Released in Summer, yes; but the cast are not A-list, and the budget was miniscule at $10million - If you are producing a 'blockbuster' by design you would aim for significantly bolder casting, and significantly better financed as a prerequisite.

Do you seriously believe that Cronenberg was somehow privy to the content of Poltergeist six to twelve months before it was released and then proceeded to imitate it? At the time, Cronenberg lived and worked entirely in Canada and was a complete outsider to the Hollywood system. He would have no interest in or ability to acquire a Hollywood script long before the movie was released, nor would he have been wandering Hollywood sets.

A simple perusal of the Wikipedia page for Videodrome will tell you when and from where he got the television idea. Here's a hint: he was a child at the time. Are you now going to propose that he and Tobe Hooper might have been childhood friends?

And Poltergeist was most definitely a summer Hollywood blockbuster when it was released. I was 12 years old at the time, and that movie was a HUGE deal--heavily marketed, everyone talking about it, etc. And $10 million was by no stretch of the imagination a "miniscule" budget In 1982. And it was produced by Spielberg, who made Jaws, which is pretty much universally acknowledged to be the first summer blockbuster (and hey, look at that--its budget was $7 million!). And finally, it doesn't matter whether it was by design. A summer blockbuster is a summer blockbuster regardless of anyone's intentions.

I explicitly stated that I think Poltergeist is an excellent movie, I'm not knocking it. The point is, Cronenberg has NEVER imitated other filmmakers. If you do any reading about him, you'll find that he wasn't even interested in films before or after he started making them--the influences he acknowledges are virtually all literary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Last Lizard
Do you seriously believe that Cronenberg was somehow privy to the content of Poltergeist six to twelve months before it was released and then proceeded to imitate it? At the time, Cronenberg lived and worked entirely in Canada and was a complete outsider to the Hollywood system. He would have no interest in or ability to acquire a Hollywood script long before the movie was released, nor would he have been wandering Hollywood sets.

A simple perusal of the Wikipedia page for Videodrome will tell you when and from where he got the television idea. Here's a hint: he was a child at the time. Are you now going to propose that he and Tobe Hooper might have been childhood friends?

And Poltergeist was most definitely a summer Hollywood blockbuster when it was released. I was 12 years old at the time, and that movie was a HUGE deal--heavily marketed, everyone talking about it, etc. And $10 million was by no stretch of the imagination a "miniscule" budget In 1982. And it was produced by Spielberg, who made Jaws, which is pretty much universally acknowledged to be the first summer blockbuster (and hey, look at that--its budget was $7 million!). And finally, it doesn't matter whether it was by design. A summer blockbuster is a summer blockbuster regardless of anyone's intentions. I explicitly stated that I think Poltergeist is an excellent movie, I'm not knocking it. The point is, Cronenberg has NEVER imitated other filmmakers. If you do any reading about him, you'll find that he wasn't even interested in films before or after he started making them--the influences he acknowledges are virtually all literary.

You keep grinding that axe if it makes you happy. I have better things to do.

"You keep grinding that axe if it makes you happy."
No need to grind it, it's as sharp as it will ever need to be.

"I have better things to do."
Like disseminate more absurd misinformation across the internet? Well, don't let the doorknob hit the tail tucked between your legs on your way out.

Last edited:
Ok guys can we move on please. It's pretty clear that this argument is going nowhere. Can you take it to PM or just agree to disagree so we can keep the thread on topic. Thanks.

Received mine yesterday. Very pleased with the set: nice and chunky! :LOL: Looking forward to diving into all the extra goodies. Goes well with the Criterion!

***Videodrome stock update****

And that's it folks! Videodrome is now OOP and has been removed from the Arrow Store. We can't believe this one has sold out 1 day after the official release date - a big thanks goes out to all of you that pre-ordered and picked this one up on release.

If you are still keen to grab a copy Amazon still have a small number left
Order direct form Amazon and limited stocks may still be available at some HMV branches.
Amazon UK £24.99
HMV Ireland €34.99
Xtra-Vision UK £24.99

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sigill and justboy
Is theren any open Group Buy for this? A friend of mine ordered 3 (the friend who did the order, another one and myself) Videodromes from Amazon.co.uk last night before it turn OOP. This friend had recieved an email this morning from Amazon canceling 2 units because they had very few of them; so my friend and myself are going to miss this awesome edition :arghh:

P.S: I'm from Spain

Last edited:
Is theren any open Group Buy for this? A friend of mine ordered 3 (the friend who did the order, another one and myself) Videodromes from Amazon.co.uk last night before it turn OOP. This friend had recieved an email this morning from Amazon canceling 2 units because they had very few of them; so my friend and myself are going to miss this awesome edition :arghh:

P.S: I'm from Spain
Sorry to hear that @Polocatil. There's no GB's for this as it was available at Amazon where anyone could purchase it.

Reactions: Polocatil