What films should get the Criterion treatment?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Criterion Blu-Ray Wishlist(Your Picks!)

What films would you like to see get the Blu-Ray treatment from Criterion?

Attachments

• criterion chat.jpg
    criterion chat.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Definitely agree with Cinema Paradiso!

For my money, I would love to get a re-release of Pan's Labyrinth and The Killer!! Also, still waiting for Criterion to get the rights back for Ran!

I wish they would release less niche, art house, kung fu, and 30 plus year old titles. I know that they need to release a good chunk of these, I enjoy some of these titles and own the regular release on a few, but its to much. The only Blu Criterions I own are Traffic, Royal Tenunbaums, Dazed and Confuzed, Rushmore, and Repo Man. The Game is the only one out I haven't gotten to. Maybe I'm nuts let me know if they should be releasing some titles a little more main stream from say 1985-2000.

I wish they would release less niche, art house, kung fu, and 30 plus year old titles. I know that they need to release a good chunk of these, I enjoy some of these titles and own the regular release on a few, but its to much. The only Blu Criterions I own are Traffic, Royal Tenunbaums, Dazed and Confuzed, Rushmore, and Repo Man. The Game is the only one out I haven't gotten to. Maybe I'm nuts let me know if they should be releasing some titles a little more main stream from say 1985-2000.

I understand what you mean. They release alot of titles I have zero interest in but I just can't see Criterion releasing a bunch of mainstream titles. It's just not what they do. And for me it helps that there's so few titles I want from them since my wallet isn't filled to the rim.

Btw, I have the same tiltles minus Repo Man and Rushmore. Rushmore I intend to get though. But I also have about 10 other titles from Criterion.

Dreams by Akira Kurosawa (excellent film from my childhood)
Slingshot by Åke Sandgren (also from my childhood)
Departures by Yôjirô Takita (saw it by chance and god what a great film)

The top three blu-rays that I want:

1. Ang Lee's Father Trilogy (Pushing Hands, The Wedding Banquet, Eat Drink Man Woman)
2. Jamón Jamón
3. Kurosawa's Ran

Top on my list are:

1. Ang Lee's Father Trilogy
- Pushing Hands
- The Wedding Banquet
- Eat Drink Man Woman

and

2. Akira Kurosawa's Ran

Unfortunately the rights to this film to the United States market seem to be tightly in the hands of StudioCanal.

A movie I've always thought should get the CC treatment is "Emperor of the North". It has never been released on Blu-ray and think it would be great to have an audio commentary included. Extras could include a documentary about the history of the "hobos" travelling on the trains during the 1930's great depression.

Cheesy 1970's trailer!....