What films should get the Criterion treatment?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Criterion Blu-Ray Wishlist(Your Picks!)

What films would you like to see get the Blu-Ray treatment from Criterion?

Attachments

• criterion chat.jpg
    criterion chat.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Fisher King
The Fisher King and Baron Munchausen WERE BOTH Criterion Laserdiscs. (They lost the rights by the time they were making DVDs and then Blus).
image.jpg
image.jpg

The great news is that Criterion got back the rights and is releasing a new Blu of Fisher King.
The bad news is that it is probably the WORST cover I have EVER seen in my life.
Yeah, a well known artist. So what. It is complete ass in my opinion, and is NOT representative of the film.
Criterion blew this. At least it isn't a steelbook, so I can make my own cover....
image.jpg

Reactions: pmartin252
Have o agree with you C.C.95 - that cover is absolutely horrible! Great news that the movie is getting the Criterion Blu-ray treatment though.
@pmartin252, there actually is ONE more thing that might happen. Arrow sometimes releases the Criterion transfers with their own art in the U.K. (Like THIEF or TIME BANDITS).
Maybe Arrow will do their own release of THE FISHER KING!
(And maybe a Steelbook at some point from someone!!)
Fingers crossed!
Example of Criterion vs. Arrow THIEF
image.jpg<----------CRITERION_____ARROW-----------> image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pmartin252
Yeah, an Arrow release of The Fisher King would be pretty amazing. I don´t know anything about "The Thief" movie, but of the 2 covers, I marginally prefer the Criterion.

Yeah, an Arrow release of The Fisher King would be pretty amazing. I don´t know anything about "The Thief" movie, but of the 2 covers, I marginally prefer the Criterion.
Ahhh! But here is the cool thing (and why I got both.) The Arrow cover is REVERSABLE with the original Theatrical poster art as the cover!! (Which is what I wanted all along!!):D
large_nqNvEw4OOnnpd0eyKTAbpopsEvg.jpg

And THIEF is, imo, Michael Mann's Masterpiece. (Second is MANHUNTER...sorry HEAT lovers)

Ahhh! But here is the cool thing (and why I got both.) The Arrow cover is REVERSABLE with the original Theatrical poster art as the cover!! (Which is what I wanted all along!!):D
large_nqNvEw4OOnnpd0eyKTAbpopsEvg.jpg

And THIEF is, imo, Michael Mann's Masterpiece. (Second is MANHUNTER...sorry HEAT lovers)

C.C. 95, I just read your comment about Thief being Michael Mann's Masterpiece and I have to agree with you. I've been a fan of this movie for years and have seen it countless times. I have the Criterion release but I didn't know about the Arrow release. Could you tell me where you picked it up? If it's even available yet?

C.C. 95, I just read your comment about Thief being Michael Mann's Masterpiece and I have to agree with you. I've been a fan of this movie for years and have seen it countless times. I have the Criterion release but I didn't know about the Arrow release. Could you tell me where you picked it up? If it's even available yet?

The HDN thread for it is HERE. Amazon only have it from 3rd party sellers - currently £24.95.
the_thief.jpg

Reactions: Phantasmic
@Phantasmic, as @pmartin252 said, you can order it from Amazon.uk or from Arrow directly(arrowfilms.co.uk). (And I'm sure ebay has it).
The cool thing is- you don't have to feel bad about the double dip. In addition to the original poster cover, the Arrow edition has a wealth of completely different extras that more than make the double dip worth it!!:thumbs:
I also recommend buying the amazing Tangerine Dream soundtrack!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantasmic
@Phantasmic, as @pmartin252 said, you can order it from Amazon.uk or from Arrow directly(arrowfilms.co.uk). (And I'm sure ebay has it).
The cool thing is- you don't have to feel bad about the double dip. In addition to the original poster cover, the Arrow edition has a wealth of completely different extras that more than make the double dip worth it!!:thumbs:
I also recommend buying the amazing Tangerine Dream soundtrack!

Thanks, yes going to pick it up. That's cool with the extras. I picked the Tangerine Dream soundtrack up years ago, as soon as I saw the movie for the first time. That music so compliments the movie and lends itself to making it as great as it is. Love it!

Thanks, yes going to pick it up. That's cool with the extras. I picked the Tangerine Dream soundtrack up years ago, as soon as I saw the movie for the first time. That music so compliments the movie and lends itself to making it as great as it is. Love it!
If you get a chance, see THE KEEP. It is a bizzare misfire that reteamed Michael Mann and Tangerine Dream. Stars Scott Glenn and Ian McKellan among others. It is just utterly bizzare. I still have no idea what Mann was going for with it. The ending is like a match up of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots....(seriously!)
No surprise that Mann never ventured into this kind of movie again!
(Hard to find- especially in its correct 2.35 aspect ratio. Netflix has a 'double blow up'** version that is virtually unwatchable).
**my own term. The 2.35:1 film was Panned and scanned for 1.33:1. Then to adjust for a widescreen 16:9 TV Netflix pushed in on the 1:33 image to fill the screen- in esssence, zooming in a second time.
Aside from obliterating the framing beyond all recognition- it renders the grain in the film the size of golf balls.