Which books have you read more than once?

Sirjump

Steelbook Viking
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2011
Norway
I must admit I watch more movies and tv-shows now than read books. The main reason is it's easier to sit down in front of the television and just browse through, or select something from the HTPC (or heaven forbid, open a steelbook). But sometimes it is nice to take the time with a good book even if you only have a little time each day to immerse yourself. I guess my problem is I am too selective in both genre and authors. If I like something I tend to come back to it rather than try something new (still talking about books =P).

To be that good to validate being read more than once it should really be outstanding or match my personality or interest really well. I have a few books and authors that I can think of. Please write your own experience with books you return to :)

Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien - read 3 times
The Hobbit by Tolkien - read twice
The Silmarillion by Tolkien - read twice

Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton - read twice

Discworld novels that includes characters from The Watch by Terry Pratchett - at least twice

Kristin Lavransdatter (trilogy) - Norwegian epic novel by Sigrid Undset, recipient of Nobel Literature Award - read twice

...and probably a few more. I think I might read The Hobbit a third time since the darn movies are a year apart! ;)

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly the Harry potter books are really the only ones I have read more than once...EEK!

Not really a book person

Now magazines :naughty:

The only books I have read more than once are some of the Harry Potter series! I really don't read books more than once because I have a long list of them to read. But I have a few that I would love to read again :)

Um, where to start. actually this would take too long to type! here's the highlights!

Lord of the rings (i think 6 times but not sure now!)
The Hobbit
Mistborn Trilogy by Branden Sanderson (one of the best fantasy trilogies ever)
The Firm and several other by John Grisham, (great writer, great characters and stories)
Brent weeks Night Angel trilogy (yet another amazing fantasy trilogy)
Every Raymond E Fiest Book (the Magician may be my all time favourite book)
Every Lee Child book (easy reading and very enjoyable - just dont talk to me about the film)
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (absolute classic, pure genius)
Mr Clarinet by Nick Stone. pure genius
Most David Gemmell books
All the Bond books by Ian Fleming
Emperor series by Conn Iggulden (love ancient rome and this is a great story)

god knows how many other books I've read more than once, i used to read 3-4 books a week when i commuted to London and still go back over some old favourites when im tired, grumpy, stressed at work or feeling laxy... which is a lot of the time!!!

pretty much all of the David Gemmell books find them great every time.

couldnt agree more! read his wifes new book thats good too!!!

1. Harry Potter series
2. Chronicles of Narnia
3. Dark Tower saga, IT, The Stand, Pet Cemetery, The Talisman & Black House
4. Fraternity of the Stone and Brotherhood of the Rose (David Morrell)
5. Several Dean Koontz novels
6. Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child

Lemmy Kilmister White Line Fever and Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries.

Highly recommend to read them if you haven´t all ready.

I work for a book company and have my own collection of getting on for 2000 books :)
Ones I like to re-read on a regular basis are anything by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Robert A. Heinlein, Tolkein, Weiss & Hickman, Gemmell, Bernard Cornwell and I could (but won't) go on :D

Any of the late Mick Farren's fiction or poetry - I have every one and the older ones have been read at least ten times.

Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock

Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper

Breed to Come by Andre Norton

Ash by Mary Gentle

The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers

There are dozens more. But these are the salient ones that come to mind on demand.

As an aside: the books I've read most are mine. Proofing and reviewing does that. To the point that I haven't read any of my books after publishing them.EEK!

Elric of Melnibone - Michael Moorcock
Saga of Kane - Karl Edward Wagner
At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft
Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket - E.A. Poe

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R.Tolkien - read 4-5 times
Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur I. Conan Doyle
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

Many have been listed here that I've read more than once, so I'll list one book and an author I keep coming back to.

The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert

The Lord of the Rings - twice
Digital Fortress - twice
Cosmic Trigger - The Final Secret of the Illuminati - thrice
Alice in Winderland and Through the Looking Glass - twice

Many Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft shor stories numerous times

There may be others that I can't remember right now.