Which books have you read more than once?

Sirjump

Steelbook Viking
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2011
Norway
I must admit I watch more movies and tv-shows now than read books. The main reason is it's easier to sit down in front of the television and just browse through, or select something from the HTPC (or heaven forbid, open a steelbook). But sometimes it is nice to take the time with a good book even if you only have a little time each day to immerse yourself. I guess my problem is I am too selective in both genre and authors. If I like something I tend to come back to it rather than try something new (still talking about books =P).

To be that good to validate being read more than once it should really be outstanding or match my personality or interest really well. I have a few books and authors that I can think of. Please write your own experience with books you return to :)

Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien - read 3 times
The Hobbit by Tolkien - read twice
The Silmarillion by Tolkien - read twice

Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton - read twice

Discworld novels that includes characters from The Watch by Terry Pratchett - at least twice

Kristin Lavransdatter (trilogy) - Norwegian epic novel by Sigrid Undset, recipient of Nobel Literature Award - read twice

...and probably a few more. I think I might read The Hobbit a third time since the darn movies are a year apart! ;)

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
'I am legend', by the late, great Richard Matheson. Written in the mid-fifties,
it rival's Phillip K Dick as one of the defining incarnation's of a 'Paranoid Outsider'.
At the same time redefining the Vampire/Zombie genre. If you havn't read it, well
worth tracking down.

'I am legend', by the late, great Richard Matheson.

And if any of you have seen the film with Will Smith... Ignore it, please. Go and read the book. The only thing they have in common is the title and the book could have been a classic film, but they didn't have the courage to do it.

The silence of the lambs
Red dragon
Black Sunday
The short timers
Setting free the bears
The hotel New Hampshire
The godfather

Good man, The Driver!

I think Gustav Hasford's The Short-Timers is the book I've read the most. Maybe six or more times (I've lost count). For anyone not familiar, The Short-Timers is the book Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket is based off. Though the movie only covers the first two-thirds of the book. And the sequel, The Phantom Blooper, is hands down my favorite book (though I've only read it two or three times). Hasford also wrote a nice little crime noir ditty called A Gypsy Good Time that I reread not too long ago after not having read it for a decade, and it really held up for me. In fact, I liked it far more than I remembered. It's a shame his books are all out of print and hard to find for a decent price.

Will Christopher Baer's Phineas Poe Trilogy gets a reread every few years. I've read Kiss Me, Judas (the first book in the trilogy) almost as many times as The Short-Timers. And Hell's Half Acre (the last entry in the trilogy) is the only book I've ever read in one sitting.

I always revisit Craig Clevenger's The Contortionist's Handbook. And I just reread Dermaphoria after a decade in anticipation of the film adaptation that's supposed to release later this year.

Books that I've just discovered in the last few years but have already read more than once: Benjamin Whitmer's Pike (maybe my favorite book of the last ten years and definitely my favorite book of the last five years), Jedidiah Ayres' Fierce Bitches and J David Osborne's Low Down Death Right Easy. The latter two I read twice within the same calendar year.

I usually don't take the time to re-read the books I've read, cause there are so many books I want to read in my life and I'm so desperate cause I know I won't be able to read them all xD
But I can tell for sure that the book I've read more than once is The Little Prince (by Antoine de Saint Exupéry), it's my favorite book.