Why do you you/don't you buy Steelbooks?

Thread moved to the Steelbook Chat subforum.

Actually, I think this is the most exciting time for steelbook collectors. There is a reason, besides moderating here, that I am still up at 2AM west coast time in the US. Fellow Ninjas have asked me to pick up some steelbooks from the WB wave so as soon as I see another mod get online, I am heading out the door to Walmart. At 2AM in the morning!! These are the best of times for steelbook collectors :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick Nameless
Have to say I did drop out for a while. But since finding this forum, with it's wealth of info, it's actually become very interesting again.

yeah there are always collectors who leave the ship and there are so many different reasons for that...

it gets boring...;)
too expensive buying new stuff...
they need money for a wedding or the children..

or whatever

I've only been collecting since I joined this forum in Oct 2012 so I've only been collecting for about 7 months, I still love it and love that in that time there seems to be more Steelbooks being released than before...I don't have to buy them just because they're the only ones available, I can actually buy a debossed one because I enjoy the film too not just because its got debossing :D

Ultimately I think eventually everyone will go through a boring phase as the collecting becomes more 'normal'...

Oh yeah, I'm already out of the game. Now I'm collecting collectible figures, preferably Hot Toy 1/6 scale figures. That my change though because another company has stepped up to the plate called Play Imaginative and there Iron Man figures are really bad ass :scat: but expensive. EEK! With as expensive as these figures are, I'm still spending less than what I was spending on Steelbooks. :thumbs:

I left the game when Play and HMV packed in steelbook exclusives, not realising Zavvi had taken the helm. Missed out on some greats, but catching up now (all thanks to a wonderful land called HDN). ;) I'd say it's quite exciting at the moment, though maybe too many releases to handle.

I think it was great about three years ago...it got boring one year ago and now the releases are getting more "special" again. When I look at PLAY's recent releases or Zavvi's at the moment I think it's getting better. But on the other hand it's sad to see things going on like the Warner wave in USA/CA at the moment.

I still love collecting but I'm much more selective than I use to be.

I think you have to be with so many releases now coming out practically every week

I wouldn't say it's boring but not as exciting as it used to be, I lost interest I guess, I love collecting stuff and I've done it with almost everything man U name it hehe, I got into Sideshow & Cinemaquette and other Movie Collectibles couple of years ago, from Premium Format statues to life-size/1:1 ones, it was crazy, at one point I had more than 30 1:1 pieces displayed, my house looked like a zoo and couldn't find my kids amongst them lmfao, had Alien/Predator/Terminator/Star Wars/Iron Man and the list goes on....it was exceptionally exciting at the time, simultaneously I was into DVD LEs, everything from Japan, Korea and worldwide countries from Digipaks, steelbooks to gift & boxsets, spent a fortune on all of them but was satisfying too (still have most of my Korean & Asian films in DVD LEs) then bluray came along and when I made the switch I started collecting steelbooks mainly and few other titles (not out on steels) on amarays, but as time went on I decided to just focus my whole attention on blu-steels (and some other Metal packaging like VMB/IP) but now somehow it's getting a bit over the top with waves after waves and releases and so on, I love the rare and sought after ones and I'm proud to have all the ones I want, few odd ones here and there I'm after but nothing too fancy or exciting.

I do collect and buy a lot (and I mean a lot) of Korean 'mainly' & other Asian films on Blu-rays, have about three or four series (CJ-ENT/Hommage Collection/KD Media/Studio Ghibli 'JP' etc) that get a lot more excited about than steelbooks these days, that's mainly bcs I love watching Korean flicks, the only thing that makes me look forward to is TW Slips on their steelbooks and some Blufans announcements, other than that the rest just won't do it for me anymore, I am cutting down more and more on steelbooks as each day go by and I fear that 1 day I will stop buying them altogether...

I've only been collecting since I joined this forum in Oct 2012 so I've only been collecting for about 7 months, I still love it and love that in that time there seems to be more Steelbooks being released than before...I don't have to buy them just because they're the only ones available, I can actually buy a debossed one because I enjoy the film too not just because its got debossing :D

Ultimately I think eventually everyone will go through a boring phase as the collecting becomes more 'normal'...

Almost the same as me. I joined this forum in November, but got my first steel(s) short before that. Since then I 've been able to get a hold of great editions from all over the world, which I couldn't even notice without reading about the biz. So for me it's something new and really exciting. Moreover, it's a way I find to keep my interest in movies, as I'm not that much into it, unless for the movies I really really like.

Reactions: JimShakes