[WINNER CHOSEN] [Ninja Week'15 Give-away] Jean-Luc Godard's Pierrot Le Fou OOP Criterion Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Welcome to #bestweekever #ninjaweek 2015!
Prize donated by: digitalbabe

peirrotlefoucriterion.JPG

To enter:

1) What 5 films should receive the Criterion treatment and why?

2) What 3 films have been given the Criterion treatment, that, according to you should not have, and why?

Good luck all!

Visit the Steelbook Group Buy forum to obtain editions from retailers that do not ship to you

Thank you for this

Love criterion but I think they should branch out into a bit more horror

1/ night of the living dead.. this needs a criterion release as only they could do it justice
2/the dollars trilogy as mgm cocked up the aspect ration again and we need a original soundmix
3/beastie boys anthology the dvd was amazing but we really need an upgrade
4/the holy mountain and el topo the latest blurays were ok but sure criterion could put less dnr on the print and secure more extras
5/ last but not least Dario Argentos animal trilogy as these bad boys need the respect they deserve

Waste of blurays

fear and loathing in las vegas yeah great extras but the imade is better on the universal bluray
jimi plays montery.... should only be included in the box set no idea why they did a separate release
killing of a Chinese bookie no matter how many time I watch this I always think why am I watching this movie thinks its a waste of time especially for criterion

1. Magnolia- one of my favorites
2. Ran- great movie by Kurosawa needs a proper blu-ray release
3. Run Lola Run- very unique movie in a good way
4. The Conversation- favorite Coppola film
5. The Good the Bad and the Ugly- still no definitive blu-ray release imo

1. Tootsie- nothing really stands out from this movie
2. Black Moon- Pretentious horrible movie
3. Salo- Don't understand why this is essential cinema

5 films that should get treatment: Ashes of Time, 2046, Lust Caution, 3-Iron, The Killer (I want a BD release!)
Criterion needs to start releasing more non-Japanese Asian films!!

Films that should not have received treatment: Armageddon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and The Rock.
Too mainstream and generally not cinematic classics which I consider to be essential qualities of being in the collection.

'A Touch of Zen' - All existing versions are in terrible condition
'Stalker' - They need to release more Tarkovsky
'Irma Vep' - Desperately needs a decent Blu-ray release and they've already released several Assayas films
'The Fisher King' - As above
A Bill Plympton collection - would love to see his animations on Blu-ray

'Hopscotch' - Why Criterion, why?
'Fishing With John' - Has no appeal to me
'Armageddon' - Just awful

Thanks for the giveaway

I'm a fun of the Western Genre and I feel there is not enough representation there. For this reason I would like to see the following 5 released on Criterion:
Winchester '53 (James Stewart is awesome in this!), The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah is an amazing Director), Unforgiven (One of Eastwoods better performances), High Noon (Liked the performance also of Gary Cooper), and The Magnificent Seven (if you have Seven Samurai, I like to see the Western Adaption included)

The 3 I feel maybe not as deserving is The Killer - I didn't think of anything ground breaking when watching this movie, Armageddon - too silly of a movie, fun popcorn flick but not for Criterion, and Tootsie I don't consider to be a classic like I do with It Happened One Night.

Thanks for the giveaway!

Cheers for the giveaway!

1. LA Confidential
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. The Brood by Cronenberg
4. Mulholland Drive
5. Silver Linings Playbook

What should be in the collection:
Enter the Void - Gaspar Noe's tale needs some additional features on the disc
Irreversible - There's a UK Special Edition, but somehow this incredible movie is only on a 1080i BD in Australia.
Wetlands - No one will like this movie, but it was so quirkily disgusting I couldn't take my eyes off of it
We Need to Talk About Kevin - The movie just deserves more exposure
Fish & Cat - Saw this one-take movie at a film festival last year and it blew my mind

What shouldn't be in the collection but is:
Alphaville - Turned it off very quickly and refuse to revisit it
Onibaba - crappy ghost story
Fishing with John - regrettably unwatchable

Thanks for the giveaway!

1)
- Before Trilogy - Greatest trilogy of all time
- City of God - A great modern classic that is riveting and gripping
- Cinema Paradiso - One of the greatest movies about loving movies
- Je T'Aime, Je T'Aime - An underrated Resnais film that belongs with his other greats, Hiroshima Mon Amour and Last Year at Marienbad
- Manhattan - Woody Allen's best, and he deserves to have at least one film in the CC

2)

- Antichrist - overwrought, gruesome in a not good way, pretentious film that doesn't deserve to be in the pantheon
- Traffic - an OK film, but not Soderbergh's best and definitely not a Criterion-level film
- Armageddon - not even Michael Bay's best movie (The Rock), embarrassing this got the treatment

My picks:

1. A Chinese Ghost Story - The perfect Hong Kong movie. A showcase of everything innovative and striking about Hong Kong cinema.
2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - This is THE 80s movie. It's a time capsule of the decade, holds up remarkably well, and a very good example of how John Hughes was as talented a filmmaker as the rest of them.
3. Sorcerer - Just an amazing movie and what a way to end the Hollywood New Wave.
4. The Triplets of Belleville - It'd be great to see Criterion do animated films (Watership Down is coming soon!) and this along with the rest of Sylvain Chomet's works really fit in with their whole shtick.
5. Anything by Alejandro Jodorowsky (El Topo, The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre, etc.). The man is an insane genius and his movies are the epitome of the the phrase "You'll never see anything like it"

What shouldn't be:

1. Blue is the Warmest Colour - It's not a bad movie at all, but I don't know if it will stand the test of time. Criterion releasing it also felt like they were just riding on the movie's popularity and that it was something being talked about everywhere. The fact the disc has practically no bonus features for a relatively now movie also makes the release feel rushed and incomplete, something which is the opposite of what Criterion do.
2. Sweetie - I really really dislike Jane Campion so this is being mentioned out of spite.
3. Spartacus - It's just kind of generic Hollywood epic in my opinion. Sure it's from Kubrick, but it doesn't feel like a Kubrick and he took his name off it.

awesome giveaway!

1. Blade Runner- it's so incredible and it would be amazing
2. Magnolia- incredibly underrated movie
3. The Jazz Singer - if you don't know why, you may want another hobby :)
4. Night of the Living Dead - it's a favorite and deserves the treatment
5. Memento - because criterion could do wonders for the release

1. Armaggedon - I don't get it
2. The Rock - again...why the hell did this get a criterion release
3. Tootsie - there wasn't anything life changing about this movie so why do it?

1. Mulholland Drive (more david lynch please!)
2. Lost Highway (again, more lynch please!)
3. Birdman (only heard amazing things about this movie)
4. Biutiful (javier bardem is great in this!)
5. Spring Breakers (most underrated movie of the last years...)

1. Armageddon (wtf?!)
2. The Rock (wtf?!)
3. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (deserves the CC treatment, but why didn't they do it properly with extras and booklet??)

many thanks for the give-away!!!

Awesome giveaway, love this film so much :drool::drool::drool:

1. Don't come Knocking - more wim wenders!!!
2. Magnolia - one of my favorite movies
3. Lost Translation - no good edition out on blu-ray overhere
4. Cinema Paradiso - one of my favorite movies ever!!
5. Memories of Murder - more korean cinema plz :drool:

1. Traffic :bored: - overhyped and overrated
2. Armaggedon - like the others say'd, nice popcorn movie but no need a criterion treatment
3. The Rock - same as armaggedon

. 1 -
- Stalker (1979, Andrei Tarkovski): Well, Criterion really need to step up and release more Tarkovsky's movies, it is a shame that Stalker is not on Criterion's catalog yet. Such a fantastic movie!
- Lost in Translation (2003, Sofia Coppola): I'll never understand why it was not released by Criterion yet.
- Landscape in the Mist (Topio Stin Omichli, 1988, Theodoros Angelopoulos): One of the best movies of all time.
- The Hours (2002, Stephen Daldry) and Medianeras (2011, Gustavo Taretto): No blu-ray release for both yet. Criterion being the first one would be perfect.

. 2 -
- Le Havre - With a huge number of French movies yet to be released, Criterion decides on one of the worst. No, just no.
- Antichrist - Really, Dogville still available for Bluray release and the worst Trier movie is picked....
- 3 Women - Horrible movie, not even Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek were able to save this one.

Thanks for the giveaway!!

1. Blow Up (cmon already, we need a decent release of this lol)
2. Moonrise Kingdom
3. Grand Budapest Hotel (we just need our whole wes collection in criterion, and this film is phenomenal)
4. Night of the living dead
5. Palo Alto

1. The Rock (looks like everyones feelin the same on this haha)
2. Armaggedon (doesnt seem Criterion worthy)
3. Tootsie (just an odd pick for Criterion i think)

Thanks for the giveaway!

1)
1.Cinema Paradiso - declaration of love for cinema!
2. Manhattan - every good collection has to have a Woody movie!
3. City of God - because I wanted to see another Brazilian film with quality treatment!
4. Lost in Translation - small masterpiece contemporary!
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - because Kubrick is my hero!

2) the same reason for the three: lack of judgment and relevance of a work, lacked common sense!
1. The Rock
2. Armaggedon
3. Tootsie

thanks for the giveaway!

1. Run Lola Run, Downfall, A Very Long Engagement, Hero, A royal Affair

2. I vote none. There's no set standard, I don't there should be any specific limits

Status
Not open for further replies.