paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 26th, 2016
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK
Price: £59.99 (Arrow Films) - £48.99 (Amazon UK)

13501711_869503919859606_8698571652084163873_n.jpg

Collection includes:

Bananas (1971)

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex *But Were Afraid to Ask (1972)

Sleeper (1973)

Love and Death (1975)

Annie Hall (1977)

Interiors (1978)

Exclusive to this collection:
Annie Hall and a 100-page hardback book

Featuring new and archive writing on all the films by Woody Allen, Michael Brooke, Johnny Mains, Kat Ellinger, John Leman Riley, Hannah Hamad and Brad Stevens

Last edited:
Is edition is slightly different from the other box set? Not seeing what is different from the other post.
What is difference between this one and
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...lms-1971-1978-blu-ray-arrow-academy-uk.77877/
@nefilim
They are the same
Arrow Video thread is for all arrow label releases so every release is shown in that thread

This is a limited Edition Box Set with exclusive Annie Hall and a 100-page hardback book so that is why you see it in the limited edition thread as well as the Arrow Video Thread

When Arrow do a limited edition release you will see the release posted in both threads as members might not be aware of the release if only posted in Arrow Video thread.

Last edited:
They are the same
Arrow Video thread is for all arrow label releases so every release is shown in that thread

This is a limited Edition Box Set with exclusive Annie Hall and a 100-page hardback book so that is why you see it in the limited edition thread as well as the Arrow Video Thread

When Arrow do a limited edition release you will see the release posted in both threads as members might not be aware of the release if only posted in Arrow Video thread.
Got it.:thumbs: Thanks @paulboland ;)

Reactions: paulboland
*Note* - in the U.S. - SLEEPER and ANNIE HALL have been released on Blu ray by the MGM Woody Allen Collection.
And LOVE AND DEATH was released on Blu ray by Twilight Time.

Are these films considered his best works? I've only seen two Woody Allen films (Blue Jasmine and Magic in the Moonlight) in my life, and I found them to be just ok. :dunno:

They're the ones I hear about the most... I've been meaning to watch them for a while, but just never got around to it. I see they're both currently on Netflix though, so I'll probably give them a go very soon! :)
You need to do a little reading about his different periods of work. His earlier slapstick (Bananas, Sleeper) his Dramady (Manhatten, Annie Hall), his drama (Interiors, Another Woman), his noir/period (Radio Days, Purple Rose, Shadows & Fog).... The dude has made a LOT of great movies. But there are a lot of people who only prefer the earlier, funnier films, and people who prefer the Dramedies, etc.
There is a LOT to choose from. I love almost all of them. (Although, I admit to not being a fan of his Ingmar Berman inspired dramas like Interiors and Another Woman. And, like any filmmaker - he has some clunkers.)
But his films really run the gamut. I, personally have the most fondness for his mid to late middle period with Manhatten, Annie Hall, Radio Days, Purple Rose of Cairo, Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Shadows & Fog, Midsummers Night Sex Comedy....
But his early slapstick is some of the greatest comedy ever made. Love & Death, Sleeper, Take the Money and Run, and Everything you Wanted to Know about Sex are Brilliant. (Love & Death's dialog is so clever it hurts your brain while laughing hysterically (He actually made a Dostoyevsky comedy!) And EYWTKAS has a rampaging giant breast terrorizing the countryside! Sleeper has the "slipping on the banana peel" gag to end them all! And Take the Money and run shows you what can go wrong when you misspell Gun (as Gub) in a bank robbery ransom note, or how making a fake gun out of soap can be your undoing if it rains!)
Then, his later work are just brilliant pieces of cinema all around (brilliant scipts, acting, cinematography, set design, etc.)
Watch all of his movies!!!

Last edited:
Are these films considered his best works? I've only seen two Woody Allen films (Blue Jasmine and Magic in the Moonlight) in my life, and I found them to be just ok. :dunno:

Yes @Noodles I'm a Woody Allen fan but his earliest films are the best. Annie Hall and Manhattan are probably the most known (and are good) but I would also suggest you check out,

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask)

You need to do a little reading about his different periods of work. His earlier slapstick (Bananas, Sleeper) his Dramady (Manhatten, Annie Hall), his drama (Interiors, Another Woman), his noir/period (Radio Days, Purple Rose, Shadows & Fog).... The dude has made a LOT of great movies. But there are a lot of people who only prefer the earlier, funnier films, and people who prefer the Dramedies, etc.
There is a LOT to choose from. I love almost all of them. (Although, I admit to not being a fan of his Ingmar Berman inspired dramas like Interiors and Another Woman. And, like any filmmaker - he has some clunkers.)
But his films really run the gamut. I, personally have the most fondness for his mid to late middle period with Manhatten, Annie Hall, Radio Days, Purple Rose of Cairo, Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Shadows & Fog, Midsummers Night Sex Comedy....
But his early slapstick is some of the greatest comedy ever made. Love & Death, Sleeper, Take the Money and Run, and Everything you Wanted to Know about Sex are Brilliant.
Watch all of his movies!!!
Whoa, wasn't aware of that... I thought all of his films were more or less dramas/romance. His earlier stuff definitely sounds more like my sort of thing though... love me some slapstick and dramedy! Think I'll probably start checking out his films as early as tomorrow. :D

Yes @Noodles I'm a Woody Allen fan but his earliest films are the best. Annie Hall and Manhattan are probably the most known (and are good) but I would also suggest you check out,

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Will be giving Annie Hall and Manhattan a watch tomorrow! I'll probably also buy this box set now too, so that I can check out his earlier stuff. :)

Whoa, wasn't aware of that... I thought all of his films were more or less dramas/romance. His earlier stuff definitely sounds more like my sort of thing though... love me some slapstick and dramedy! Think I'll probably start checking out his films as early as tomorrow. :D

Will be giving Annie Hall and Manhattan a watch tomorrow! I'll probably also buy this box set now too, so that I can check out his earlier stuff. :)

Yes his earlier stuff was definitely much better, he had a real wit about him, I particularly love the early films that he was actually in. The later stuff was trying to be too serious and he's really struggled for a hit, definitely check out the early stuff.

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Along with Manhatten and Annie Hall (which everyone mentions) - My favorites are Love and Death, Radio Days, Crimes & Misdemeanors and Hannah & Her Sisters.
Zelig is coming out on Twilight Time Blu ray next month. It is another of Woody's fictional documentaries. And it is a beauty. (Plus- it marks the first collaboration between Woody Allen & ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) for special effects on a film!!

Along with Manhatten and Annie Hall (which everyone mentions) - My favorites are Love and Death, Radio Days, Crimes & Misdemeanors and Hannah & Her Sisters.
Zelig is coming out on Twilight Time Blu ray next month. It is another of Woody's fictional documentaries. And it is a beauty. (Plus- it marks the first collaboration between Woody Allen & ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) for special effects on a film!!

forgot about Crimes and Misdemeanors thats a classic, good choice :thumbs:

Reactions: C.C. 95
Yes his earlier stuff was definitely much better, he had a real wit about him, I particularly love the early films that he was actually in. The later stuff was trying to be too serious and he's really struggled for a hit, definitely check out the early stuff.
Keep in mind, however, that some of his most acclaimed films have been in the last 10 years:
Vicki Christina Barcelona
Match Point
Midnight in Paris

forgot about Crimes and Misdemeanors thats a classic, good choice :thumbs:
:thumbs:
Yeah! That happens all the time! You try to make a list, then you will look at his entire filmography, and you're like "Oh! forgot that! and that! and that!" :LOL:
*also Woody was a standup comic (not many know this). His entire standup years are documented on the brilliant WOODY ALLEN: STANDUP COMIC cd set. It stands toe to toe as one of the greatest standup acts ever.

Last edited:
Hannah and Her Sisters is also on Netflix, so I'll give that a go at some point too. Would you recommend Match Point? That's on there as well... although I'll probably just watch it for SJ either way. :p

Reactions: C.C. 95
Hannah and Her Sisters is also on Netflix, so I'll give that a go at some point too. Would you recommend Match Point? That's on there as well... although I'll probably just watch it for SJ either way. :p

I am not sure about what films exactly you like but Hannah and her sisters is a bit of a slow, i would give the others a go first then maybe put it near the back, its got Michael Caine in it but it's very slow. I'd say try Manhattan Murder Mystery it's another old one but good one.

Match Point isn't great but Scarlett may get you through it. but if you like her a later one I really like is Vicky Cristina Barcelona