Would you buy a steelbook if it wasn't limited?

Would you buy a steelbook if it wasn't limited?

• Yes

Votes: 52 70.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Depends on title

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Depends on art

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 52 70.3%
  • No

• Depends on title

• Depends on art

• Yes

Votes: 53 71.6%
  • No

• Depends on title

• Depends on art

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
So with all the talk of re-releases this got me thinking...

If the initial run wasn't limited would you bother to buy the steelbook at all?

I saw someone recently who was about to buy a steelbook and then they saw there was 999+ left on Amazon and they decided not to buy because it wasn't limited.

And if you do only buy it in the hopes that it will become OOP are you then simply a speculator? Where is the love for the steelbook design or the movie?
Is it just about money?

Reactions: frankfish44
I would only buy if the art was good + cheap price. If steelbooks keep getting bigger and bigger print runs, I expect to pay a smaller price, otherwise might as well get the Amaray. Not only that but the quality control lately is going down the toilet so my patience is wearing thin at the moment in regards to SB's.

Couldn't care if it wasn't limited or not...but as always a few factors come into buying a steel... Bonus Material, artwork and price :)

I would still buy it even if it wasn't limited. For me it's about the artwork and the movie. I'm not into buying a steelbook that might be worth a fortune down the road. All my purchases are for me, myself & I :)

I'm all about the artwork and the movie. If I'm honest though, sometimes I'll buy a crap movie if it has great artwork (crackled 10,000 BC anyone?), and sometimes I'll blind buy a mediocre movie on spec if it's particularly limited. With that said, I open and watch all my SBs, so resale is never a factor.

Reactions: Ricker
if steels are not limited anymore i would buy way less of them and more amarays for better price, which is the fact lately.

I rip the wrap off every steel I buy before I get to the car, so it doesn't matter to me if it's limited. They are just cooler on the shelf than amarays. If the steel is only a few dollars more than plastic, I'll get it for sure.

Not to say limited ones aren't great though. It is nice to know you have something that only a few other have. But I'm not the kind of person who would buy Driving Miss Daisy in Steelbook because there were only 100 made.

I like to own some limited editions, but I also buy steelbooks which are not. Of course, it depends of the price, the artwork and the movie. In this case I only get the movies that I love. I am just more selective :)

Of course I'll happily buy a title that isn't limited as long as it is a title I would like. That said if it's not limited I may hold off buying immediately in hope of a price drop which may be the reason why someone would change their mind about buying a title if stock numbers were high. That said a release with a limited run is more attractive because I like to collect unique Steelbooks.

Limited or unlimited makes no difference.

If it's something I really like and most importantly, the art on the steelbook is good, then I would indulge if the price is not too high versus normal editions.

Are steelbooks limited anymore, WB rereleasing 35 titles, Univesal looks like it just took the reel heros to the US

I rip the wrap off every steel I buy before I get to the car, so it doesn't matter to me if it's limited. They are just cooler on the shelf than amarays. If the steel is only a few dollars more than plastic, I'll get it for sure.

Not to say limited ones aren't great though. It is nice to know you have something that only a few other have. But I'm not the kind of person who would buy Driving Miss Daisy in Steelbook because there were only 100 made.

I want one!

Reactions: Steeljunkie
I buy steelbooks for the film itself and of course its a bonus if it has nice artwork and nice covers ... but don't care if its limited or not .... i will still buy :)