Would you buy a steelbook if it wasn't limited?

Would you buy a steelbook if it wasn't limited?

• Yes

Votes: 52 70.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Depends on title

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Depends on art

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 52 70.3%
  • No

• Depends on title

• Depends on art

• Yes

Votes: 53 71.6%
  • No

• Depends on title

• Depends on art

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
So with all the talk of re-releases this got me thinking...

If the initial run wasn't limited would you bother to buy the steelbook at all?

I saw someone recently who was about to buy a steelbook and then they saw there was 999+ left on Amazon and they decided not to buy because it wasn't limited.

And if you do only buy it in the hopes that it will become OOP are you then simply a speculator? Where is the love for the steelbook design or the movie?
Is it just about money?

Reactions: frankfish44
if i had to choose between an amarau and a steel yes,
but if i had to choose between a box set and a steel then no...
anws boxsets ill never stop collecting

Good question. I generally buy because I want to watch the movie anyway and the steelbook looks great on the shelf. My girlfriend had never seen Silence of the Lambs for example, I was on the verge of buying a cheap amaray copy to show her when the steelbook got announced so I paid the extra £5/6 quid for the privilege of having it in steel with cool artwork instead. It was the same with the Star Trek re-release. I loved the film in the cinema but this was before I got into steelbooks, I kept meaning to buy it anyway and forgot. I'm never going to pay the ebay prices for the original steel print but with the second film out soon I really wanted to watch it again and the re-release made perfect sense for me.

There have been a few where I've maybe been not sure and the print size has tipped me over into buying it anyway (Finding Nemo, Jack Reacher) but there has always been an aspect that I want to see the film too so why not get it. I open them all too so value isn't that big a deal to me, it maybe helps to know that even though I'm spending so much on them I could sell it for a little bit if I was ever desperate I guess. But with things like WFRR I have never been interested in the film and I just left well alone regardless. All my holy grail wants are films I love or am really desperate to see but want to buy the steel rather than getting the normal version and then wanting the steel later on anyway.

If it's a film i want and i can get it in steel book form then i do:oohyeah:
Don't tend to buy films just because there steelbooks

I dont give a **** if it's limited or not to be honest; if it is limited it may encourage me
to buy it when I may otherwise of skipped it but I don't buy steelbooks to make a profit I
buy them because they are nice editions to my cinema/tv home entertainment collection

I love cinema, I love TV shows and as a collector in general not just of Steelbooks I buy
the steelbooks I do buy because I think they will be a nice addition to my collection. If
they happen to be limited then that's just a bonus...

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

In fact if i'm totally honest it does piss me off a little when I think about it now when
they are really limited because you get these clowns who don't care about steelbooks or
love cinema/tv and building a collection who only care about profit and then buy like 25
copies just to stick 25 copies on eBay and profit off those who really do care

I think places like Zavvi that do "limited to 3000" should also limit purchase per customer
ammounts too, they'd still sell all of their copies but it would help true collectors and
weed out the profiteers...

I dont give a **** if it's limited or not to be honest; if it is limited it may encourage me
to buy it when I may otherwise of skipped it but I don't buy steelbooks to make a profit I
buy them because they are nice editions to my cinema/tv home entertainment collection

I love cinema, I love TV shows and as a collector in general not just of Steelbooks I buy
the steelbooks I do buy because I think they will be a nice addition to my collection. If
they happen to be limited then that's just a bonus...

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

In fact if i'm totally honest it does piss me off a little when I think about it now when
they are really limited because you get these clowns who don't care about steelbooks or
love cinema/tv and building a collection who only care about profit and then buy like 25
copies just to stick 25 copies on eBay and profit off those who really do care

I think places like Zavvi that do "limited to 3000" should also limit purchase per customer
ammounts too, they'd still sell all of their copies but it would help true collectors and
weed out the profiteers...

I think they did limit WFRR to 5 and cancelled orders larger than that

Reactions: Pharaoh
Do I like the movie or want to see it, is the primary factor for me. I like the idea of a Steelbook as it is a nice collectible. Price and artwork would probably be the next factors I consider followed closely by embossing/debossing which is my Achilles heel when it comes to Steelbook collecting. Limited edition or not really does not come into play for me.

It would not bother me if everyone else on the planet had the same Steelbook as me.

Last edited:
So far 93% say a limited run doesn't matter to them.

that's not at all what 93% of people are saying. What 93% of people are saying is they'll buy a steelbook that isn't limited. If I had a choice between steelbook & amaray, I'm picking a steelbook no matter the print run.

I am not into this hobby because of print runs or anything like that, I like them as a cool way to get some (usually) better artwork than the standard release.