Would you quit collecting if Iron Man / Thor / Captain America were re-released?

Would you quit collecting if Iron Man / Thor / Captain America etc. were re-released?

• Yes

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 75.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Yes

• No

• Maybe

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you quit collecting if Iron Man / Thor / Captain America were re-released?

The art of collecting has become a ticking timebomb. Every day we logon to the forum and find something or other being released which is good but re-releasing the same movie is becoming too boring. Of course no one is forced to buy but to some collectors it really dampens the spirit of collecting.

Last edited:
I collect only the films i love, the design is the most important aspect to me - not if it's a re-release... if there was a re-release for any film with an awesome updated design (embossing, debossing etc), I'd look to get rid of my other copy regardless of rarity. I buy for the artwork and the film itself... Not here for the profit.

Quit collecting, why? EEK! That's like me hunting buck and mounting the heads. Nice! I shot me a nice 5 point buck today and next year going hunting again and shooting another 5 point buck. Well damn! I already have me a 5 pointer, hell I'm just going to give up the sport, sell my guns and never go hunting again! Pfft! That's ridiculous...

5048.jpg

:hilarious:

Nicely put I have only been collecting since the turn of the year and the grails are priced accordingly, can see how rerelease steels annoy the main bulk of collectors but for me personally I open all mine and enjoy them (well most) so for me releases with same art or different I'm going to get them either way:thumbs:

Reactions: Lone Crusader
It wouldnt stop me collecting because I love having special edition packaging for great films (and a few shite ones as well). I think it would be a final confirmation though that the 'collecting' side of buying steels is gone so I wouldnt pay over the retail price for an oop/foreign steel anymore, id just wait for a uk re release instead

I don't have a problem with re-releases, and I don't think it really hurts the value of the originals as much as some people think.

For example,if you are trying to sell an Iron Man FS right now, you are looking at a very limited amount of collectors who would pay the price for that. The collectors who would pay for it will still want the first release even if a re-release with identical artwork came out, because the hardcore collectors always want the first run stuff.

You will lose some potential interest from some "less knowledgeable" collectors who won't know the difference between multiple editions. And those type of collectors aren't likely to pay hundreds of dollars for a steelbook anyways.

No I won't quit if they re released these. I would buy 20 copies of each and line the walls of my man cave with them. Its value will grow as the Avengers franchise grows.

That was my plan for BB and TDK UK until they changed the artwork. Tsk!

No I won't quit if they re released these. I would buy 20 copies of each and line the walls of my man cave with them. Its value will grow as the Avengers franchise grows.

That was my plan for BB and TDK UK until they changed the artwork. Tsk!

oh that was your plan..interesting:hilarious:

i also would not quit,why should anyone do that...there will always be a noticeable difference between the old release and the new one so the old release could raise in value and you dont have to be afraid of having the same steel twice:thumbs:

I don't think I would quit but I would be disappointed if they were. Part of the appeal of Steelbooks for me are the limited print runs, unique designs and 'the thrill of the chase'. If it was just about the film, I would buy amarays and save a load of money.

What I hate though is when collectors (tends to be new collectors) commend a re-release because it hasn't had a release in that country. I say that you're not a true collector if you limit yourself to your country of residence (just imagine all the great movies and Steelbooks you wouldn't own in the format). This hobby would be a lot less fun if it were not for the group buys and trading with members from all over the world at least for me anyway.

Quit steelbook collecting no way pedro that bug has bitten too deep i often go into my media room and peruse my lovely steels, the asian steels with their beautiful slips, the embossed steels & the many steels with great inner art :drool:

As for the re-releases they give the new collectors a chance to build their collections without spending a fortune on the originals.

I don't have a problem with re-releases, and I don't think it really hurts the value of the originals as much as some people think.

For example,if you are trying to sell an Iron Man FS right now, you are looking at a very limited amount of collectors who would pay the price for that. The collectors who would pay for it will still want the first release even if a re-release with identical artwork came out, because the hardcore collectors always want the first run stuff.

You will lose some potential interest from some "less knowledgeable" collectors who won't know the difference between multiple editions. And those type of collectors aren't likely to pay hundreds of dollars for a steelbook anyways.

In essence some of what you say is true ... but when the reprint is 100% identical then there is no way to tell apart the original from the reprint.

Example ... Underworld Trilogy got reprinted 100% the same and with same slipcover ... was going for over $100 back then ... no idea what it goes for now ... its seemingly somewhat rare again but the fact remains the amount of qty got increased and thus "supply and demand".

Any comicbook movie is damn near never safe from a re-release as the franchises keep going.

If you want a rare oldie ... look for Death Race DE (original) Wanted DE etc. Ones with more "bells and whistles" ala premium finishes also make it so it stands a better chance from a reprint. Cost more to add the premiums so typically when they reprint a movie of that caliber they dont spend extra the 2nd, 3rd go round etc. ie. Look how many more Death Races have come out yet none hold a candle to the original nor feature Debossing like that. (throw in the fact that pretty much all steels from 2008/9 were thicker gauge metal so they are heavier , sturdier and have a better all around feel "in hand" )

oh that was your plan..interesting:hilarious:

i also would not quit,why should anyone do that...there will always be a noticeable difference between the old release and the new one so the old release could raise in value and you dont have to be afraid of having the same steel twice:thumbs:

Will be doing that for Star Trek Jpn now.......if it has a killer slip, I think that it could eventually be quite valuable. Time will tell......Anyway, I think that lining the walls with a few of these would look quite nice. :D

if it became a trend to release identical (inside art, outside art, emboss, deboss, finish) then i wouldnt stop collecting, i would stop steelbook and continue with limited boxsets.
i think the whole point of collection is to get some easy and some hard, some cheap others expensive, trying to get the best deal and search 100 websites to find it gives me the thrills...i dont settle for one per title i want them all, but if they continue the trend that warner studios is starting releasing a title that has been released so many times again and again, for me its like keep watering a plant....its gonna drown at some point.
People who wouldnt pay to get a rare or grail they can get a cheaper copy, if they are praying for re releases to get themselves one and thus harm the hobby of one...defeats any purpose...
but i have to agree with pavel696 people who would buy the grails they would do it even after re releases, but i think again that companies can still get their money by releasing different artworks instead of the same, steels are going to be sold...

I am a serious collector and I believe one can see that from my collection thread. I am dead against identical re releases.

However, I cannot think of many identical re releases In the past. Wreck has mentioned Underworld Trilogy Germany. Have there been others in the past?

Reactions: lgans316
The recent news of Watchmen and The Town being re-released has me up in arms. In fact, I've decided to keep a small collection of 'open' steels and sell off most of my sealed ones.

I'm fine with the way Zombieland and Iron Man (UK) went about re-releases (with slightly different art) but the way they're taking the gems of our hobby and producing fool's gold has me wanting to stop digging.

Reactions: nickforall1987
The recent news of Watchmen and The Town being re-released has me up in arms. In fact, I've decided to keep a small collection of 'open' steels and sell off most of my sealed ones.

I'm fine with the way Zombieland and Iron Man (UK) went about re-releases (with slightly different art) but the way they're taking the gems of our hobby and producing fool's gold has me wanting to stop digging.

Is ot alteady certain that Watchmen n Town are identical re releases?

Is ot alteady certain that Watchmen n Town are identical re releases?

No nothing has been confirmed. Wreck also said that only 3-4 titles from the USA wave would have inside art (I personally think it will be the Batman films since they are getting released in the UK too) and I think Canada will be getting the same Steelbooks. In my opinion it's very unlikely that this will be anywhere near the quality of the FS version.

Reactions: chanfm
Even if the artwork is exactly the same the quality of the material used in producing steelbooks these days is nothing like the grail releases from yesteryear. Anyone who has owned the FS Iron Man and the UK one will know that the FS version has a far superior build quality. Ok the artworks not the same, but you get what I'm saying ;)

Personally I would not stop, mainly because I normally only want the Steelbook of the movie/series/Anime I like and only if I also like the artwork. I could care less if it will turn out to be a grail or something like that. I usually do not buy the same movie twice...unless I forget I already have it and buy by mistake or if the artwork is very different or have different subs/languages/content. Otherwise I will not buy it again.

An example of this is the Avengers steel, I do not like the artwork, the A is lackluster/not creative/very lazy of Disney to choose this... for me at least...I know is the symbol of Avengers but...for me, even though I like the movie I will not get the steel version, maybe a digibook, but for now I have no Avengers in my collection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.