Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks - Overwhelming?

Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks - Do you feel overwhelmed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2013
UK
I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in saying that I feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of forthcoming Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks, and no doubt a lot of you have strong feelings about this issue right now

Looking at the forthcoming SteelBook release schedule for Q3-Q4 2013, it's apparent that Zavvi are really pushing their SteelBook exclusives as much as possible. July has a manageable four exclusives (a relatively quiet month for media releases), as does August, but September has seven, and October eight!

While a lot of you will state that there are just too many SteelBook releases now, others may say they can cope, but would prefer if they were either cheaper or spread apart more. I've seen some people quote: "You don't have to buy them all" across these forums, and they're quite right, but there are people who do like to collect every exclusive release

From Zavvi's point of view it may not seem too bad, but what they fail in is spatial awareness. They don't look around at what other things are released around the same time, and this is why it feels overwhelming to many collectors - The same consumers who are most likely also visiting the cinema, buying box sets, new non-exclusive SteelBook releases (determined by the studios, not the retailer), as well as video game CE's etc. There really needs to be a balance based on other media releases, and that's something they're lacking right now!

Something else I've noticed about Zavvi is that they seem to like to bottleneck their exclusive releases into a particular day of the month, rather than spread them apart. For example, the 23rd of September has five releases out of a total of nine SteelBooks announced for that month, and the 28th of October also has five out of eight that have so far been announced for that month!

There are also rumours that Zavvi plan on releasing selected catalogue video game SteelBooks too in the near future, much to the dismay of many collectors who already feel overwhelmed. While many collectors will not be buying every single release, these on top of new CE releases and the already bulging Blu-Ray SteelBook releases is perhaps a little too much for many

As we enter the latter part of the year and approaching the holiday season, we'll start to see a deluge of other media LE's and CE's announced. Obviously Zavvi haven't bothered to take this period into account, and it could affect their sales of other forms of media as collectors are forced to choose between buying several exclusive SteelBooks or the must-have video game CE (this year sees the release of GTA V, which is touted to possibly be the biggest media launch ever!). October 2013 may be the time when many SteelBook collectors decide to give up collecting...

Last edited:
I have to say that when I see a new thread for a new exclusive Zavvi steelbook, it's always a bad news...
First their prices is really high and unjustified for some titles!
Then, because of the worst customer service I ever seen and their poor packaging, I always pre-order 2 or 3 copies of each title I'm interested in to be sure to get at least 1 in safe conditions and sometimes it's not enough! :(
I obviously don't buy all the Zavvi exclusive releases as for me the steelbook treatment for some titles is just ridiculous and totally nonsense...

Reactions: Flip
Yes, it is overwhelming, they have increased the prices.

Play.com was asking 10.99 - sometimes even 9.99 - Zavvi is asking 5 GBP more AND their steelbook packagining + customer service is VERY POOR.

Their steelbook packaging foam is much thinner than Play.com's!

And they keep raising their prices. At least Play.com sticked to the 10.99! And they at least put some effort in steelbook design. Look at Zavvi's Iron Man 3! It's poison for the eyes!

Yes, it is overwhelming, they have increased the prices.

Play.com was asking 10.99 - sometimes even 9.99 - Zavvi is asking 5 GBP more AND their steelbook packagining + customer service is VERY POOR.

Their steelbook packaging foam is much thinner than Play.com's!

And they keep raising their prices. At least Play.com sticked to the 10.99! And they at least put some effort in steelbook design. Look at Zavvi's Iron Man 3! It's poison for the eyes!

Play.com didn't ship abroad, Zavvi do. However, Zavvi offer very cheap international shipping, which is subsidised by the cost of the steelbook. I hate that - if people abroad are buying it, pay for shipping like us UK members have to do when ordering from NA or EU.

That being said, I really like the IM3 design.

I do agree. Although I totally love all the steels that Zavvi are releasing, it is a little overwhelming. My June nightmare has officialy become September.

Reactions: stephen3001
I only purchase the films I like, and as a collector more releases means more titles to choose from. A little lower price will definitely help them sell more steels. I have to agree about their packaging, it's really poor compare to other online stores. Here's a package from zavvi where a steelbook I ordered came from, no bubble wrap or padding what so ever just plain mailer cardboard and you have to remember I live in Guam and it took about 3 weeks to get here.

zavvi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Play.com didn't ship abroad, Zavvi do. However, Zavvi offer very cheap international shipping, which is subsidised by the cost of the steelbook. I hate that - if people abroad are buying it, pay for shipping like us UK members have to do when ordering from NA or EU.

That being said, I really like the IM3 design.

Play.com did ship abroad. I am from the Netherlands and I've bought all Play.com steelbooks directly from Play.com. So don't spread false information please, it's not appreciated... Fact remains: Play.com was cheaper, they send abroad (free), offered better customer service and their steelbook packaging was much better. Just facts!

Last edited:
Reactions: harry
Play.com did ship abroad. I am from the Netherlands and I've bought all Play.com steelbooks directly from Play.com. So don't spread false information please, it's not appreciated... Fact remains: Play.com was cheaper, they send abroad (free), offered better customer service and their steelbook packaging was much better. Just facts!

They (play) only shipped to EU whereas Zavvi ship worldwide and they don't need to charge quite as much. £1 or 2 less would be useful.

They can release as many as they want I will still only buy the ones I really like anyways. If I don't like the movie I won't buy the steel, and if I like the movie but the steel is poorly done I won't buy it (like Reservoir Dogs). Simple as that.

Reactions: harry

To the USA?

Stop with the attitude, it's not welcome. I'm trying to help.

If you don't like Zavvi, stop buying from them - that way not only do you show them that they're doing wrong, you also stop complaining on every thread we find you in.

The annoying thing is, Zavvi also sell via PLAY.com, and usually their prices on PLAY are much lower than those on their own site. I assume this is due to them only shipping to the UK / Europe on PLAY rather than worldwide, therefore they are able to offer a cheaper shipping price, but I don't understand how they can sell cheaper on PLAY when they also have to pay an additional 10% fees. Something just doesn't quite add up there

To the USA?

Stop with the attitude, it's not welcome. I'm trying to help.

If you don't like Zavvi, stop buying from them - that way not only do you show them that they're doing wrong, you also stop complaining on every thread we find you in.

I have to stop complaining, but you can of course continue to defend Zavvi in every thread? I am not the only that dislikes how Zavvi does business. And I have the right to express my opinion about them, if you don't like that, than that's fine. But I'll continue to express my opinion about what Zavvi is doing wrong. You can continue with whatever you like to do, but don't tell me what to do or what not to do. I can decide that on my own.

I am just listing facts and you're the one being offended, not me.

Again; it's a fact that Zavvi's customer service is not the best, Play.com's customer service was better. It's a fact that Zavvi charges a lot more for steelbooks which are absolutely not better than Play.com's (equal at the most). It is also a fact that Play.com's steelbook packaging was better (thicker foam).

Meaning that purchasing steelbooks from Play.com was an overall better experience, compared to purchasing steelbooks from Zavvi.

If you don't agree, that's fine. That's just my opinion based on facts and partially on my own experience with Zavvi.

Zavvi is releasing a lot of steelbooks, but quantity does not equal quality. They are definitely not living up to their claim as being ''the home of steelbooks''. You can't claim that title by just releasing a lot of steelbooks. You have to have reasonable prices, offer extremely good steelbook packaging and provide fast and excellent customer service. Play.com offered all of that. Zavvi does not.

Last edited:
Reactions: harry and Heche1981
# of releases: at first, i was overwhelmed with the amount of steelbook releases, but now i appreciate it. Now it seems there are more titles & releases to choose from, so i can be more selective with what i purchase. Also, with more titles to choose from, i think it will help spread/grow the steelbook collecting community.

Price: i think zavvi is doing a good job of keeping prices low. They are higher than Play.com prices, but still on the lower priced end of the market. Play.com also went out of business....so maybe zavvi is preparing to stick around longer...which is also good for the steel collecting community.

Another Zavvi bashing topic :rolleyes:

There's no point in moaning, as I have been told in numerous threads, if you have nothing positive to say, move on! :rolleyes:

As someone who couldn't order from Play I LOVE Zavvi! :scat:

Their low shipping fee still boggles my mind each time :)

Yes their release schedule is a little nuts but I see that as a great thing for collectors with more titles to choose from :thumbs:

Last edited:
I think they need to slow down, they don't have to release everything in the first year :hilarious: , they have probably already passed the total of hmv releases. Personally they might want to put more effort into their packaging because its still not good enough, I had a dented steel last wk. To me this is the most important part, they need to get the basics right, its pointless giving us the great releases if you are not sure how yours is going to arrive, sorry rant over.

I think it's completely understandable that people feel overwhelmed. Zavvi (just like Play once did), came out of the gate with many titles in 'bursts' and 'waves' and it was very different than years ago, when Steelbooks 'trickled' out of the gate.

I personally am very selective with the Steels I buy, after years of being in 'the game', and think that they have done a decent job culling some fan favorites thus far, for release. I am excited about select Disney titles, and some older catalog films, as well as new releases and look forward to seeing what's in store next. I personally hope that they or Entertainment Store, in the UK, take the reigns in bringing out some classic horror, and epics, and really take advantage of some fan favorite requests from our feedback forum. There is a lot of opportunity to 'make our Steel wishes' come true, especially given the excitement and honest of the hidefninja.com community.

I think that each person needs to decide what they 'have to' have, and that makes it far less overwhelming. This 'selection' process is completely different for everyone, so I don't think there is just 1 answer to this. Heche-great poll-it is because of our collective feedback that some of these titles were considered.

Its fairly obvious with the horrible quality control that they are putting out too many steels. I thought play was bad. This ridiculous. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.