Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks - Overwhelming?

Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks - Do you feel overwhelmed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2013
UK
I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in saying that I feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of forthcoming Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks, and no doubt a lot of you have strong feelings about this issue right now

Looking at the forthcoming SteelBook release schedule for Q3-Q4 2013, it's apparent that Zavvi are really pushing their SteelBook exclusives as much as possible. July has a manageable four exclusives (a relatively quiet month for media releases), as does August, but September has seven, and October eight!

While a lot of you will state that there are just too many SteelBook releases now, others may say they can cope, but would prefer if they were either cheaper or spread apart more. I've seen some people quote: "You don't have to buy them all" across these forums, and they're quite right, but there are people who do like to collect every exclusive release

From Zavvi's point of view it may not seem too bad, but what they fail in is spatial awareness. They don't look around at what other things are released around the same time, and this is why it feels overwhelming to many collectors - The same consumers who are most likely also visiting the cinema, buying box sets, new non-exclusive SteelBook releases (determined by the studios, not the retailer), as well as video game CE's etc. There really needs to be a balance based on other media releases, and that's something they're lacking right now!

Something else I've noticed about Zavvi is that they seem to like to bottleneck their exclusive releases into a particular day of the month, rather than spread them apart. For example, the 23rd of September has five releases out of a total of nine SteelBooks announced for that month, and the 28th of October also has five out of eight that have so far been announced for that month!

There are also rumours that Zavvi plan on releasing selected catalogue video game SteelBooks too in the near future, much to the dismay of many collectors who already feel overwhelmed. While many collectors will not be buying every single release, these on top of new CE releases and the already bulging Blu-Ray SteelBook releases is perhaps a little too much for many

As we enter the latter part of the year and approaching the holiday season, we'll start to see a deluge of other media LE's and CE's announced. Obviously Zavvi haven't bothered to take this period into account, and it could affect their sales of other forms of media as collectors are forced to choose between buying several exclusive SteelBooks or the must-have video game CE (this year sees the release of GTA V, which is touted to possibly be the biggest media launch ever!). October 2013 may be the time when many SteelBook collectors decide to give up collecting...

Last edited:
Zavvi more expensive because they pay vat that i know where as play used the tax loophole. To many steelbooks not a bad thing i like the range so i can pick and chooes loving the uk steelbooks atm

I don't mind the non stop releases. I do mind poor quality, bad artwork, poor choices of films to receive the SB treatment, and inflated prices. I'm glad i am able to order, and receive these SBs from the UK, i just wish they'd have the means to back up the insane amount of SBs they crank out.

Reactions: Ricker
Yes, Zavvi is churning out an insane number of SBs. Since I only order the Zavvi SBs that I like, it is not a problem for me. I am especially happy with the Disneys.

I just wish that Zavvi would put out SBs with better artwork.

The simple answer is to order the ones you like the most, prioritising the ones most likely to go out of stock. I like to buy a lot of their steels, but it is not really healthy for the bank balance, so some moderation is required.

More choice of films the better - just be more picky on what you buy.

This isn't an ideal world so just be happy that Zavvi are releasing ANY exclusive steelbooks. Yes Zavvi have issues to sort out but no company is perfect, I just remind myself that they're still new to this steelbook game and will hopefully - with enough constructive comments - change their ways ;)

In Wreck we Trust.

More choice of films the better - just be more picky on what you buy.

This isn't an ideal world so just be happy that Zavvi are releasing ANY exclusive steelbooks. Yes Zavvi have issues to sort out but no company is perfect, I just remind myself that they're still new to this steelbook game and will hopefully - with enough constructive comments - change their ways ;)

In Wreck we Trust.

Amazon is perfect.

Reactions: harry
Amazon is perfect.

From what i read quite a few are still unhappy with their packaging, Spine slashing etc? As people have proved, no one is 'perfect'.

Amazon have always had a good customer service which helps, especially with all the OCD issues :)

I've been lucky, Zavvi have always sent be perfect copies and very quickly, unlike Amazon of late. Each to their own though :)

Reactions: SBC28
Spine slashed are not their fault.
And they compensated everyone who reported it, Zavvi doesn't care. I have read a few times they offered people who received damaged steelbooks 1 or 2 gbp to compensate them. That's just pathetic.

Reactions: blu-steel
Spine slashed are not their fault.
And they compensated everyone who reported it, Zavvi doesn't care. I have read a few times they offered people who received damaged steelbooks 1 or 2 gbp to compensate them. That's just pathetic.

Give it a rest already. Everyone is fully aware of Zavvi's shortfalls and hopefully they are working on improving them. There is stating your opinion and there is trying to force that opinion on everyone else in every Zavvi related thread. I'm guilty of expressing my opinion strongly, but I make my point and move on (usually after mod intervention :hilarious:). I don't keep making the same point over and over for months on end.

Reactions: Naughtius Maximus
I'm fine with the amount, it means when there are releases I'm not interested in, I'm not disappointed because there are also a few that I am interested in. Again, I don't buy steels just because they're embossed/debossed/glossy. I buy because I like the movie or believe I will like the movie.

Be careful what you wish for. Too many steels being made= more quality control issues, because they are not hiring more people to overlook it.

Amazon is perfect.

You've forgotten about the Skyfall UK pricing problem then, whereby it was offered for £11.99, then taken off sale after an hour, then put back at a higher price (basically they mispriced it) - then those of us who ordered at £12 got it for £12, and certain people who ordered at the high price complained and had it changed to £12 whereas others than complained didn't, so everyone ended up paying a different price and Amazon refunded some people while screwing over others.

Your selective memory is irritating. And no, I don't work for Zavvi. I don't praise Zavvi either, I've been quite vocal in the fact that I don't actually like them.

Reactions: TakingYoSteelz
You've forgotten about the Skyfall UK pricing problem then, whereby it was offered for £11.99, then taken off sale after an hour, then put back at a higher price (basically they mispriced it) - then those of us who ordered at £12 got it for £12, and certain people who ordered at the high price complained and had it changed to £12 whereas others than complained didn't, so everyone ended up paying a different price and Amazon refunded some people while screwing over others.

Your selective memory is irritating. And no, I don't work for Zavvi. I don't praise Zavvi either, I've been quite vocal in the fact that I don't actually like them.

Then stop defending in every thread, you're becoming very annoying.
Amazon didn't screw up, they didn't have to compensate anyone, but they did.
Their packaging is way better than Zavvi's (and they don't even release many exclusives), their pricing is better and their customer service is the best in the world.

It is typical how you're trying to find something to bash Amazon. I don't need to search for small, little, meaningless things to bash Zavvi. Why? Because Zavvi is one big joke in general. It's actually the other way around: I have to look for things which are good about Zavvi, but i can't find anything. Please don't come with cheap shipping, there is a reason why it is cheap/free: items are poorly packaged, almost no quality controll, items arive extremely late or not at all, products cost more because of it.

Then stop defending in every thread, you're becoming very annoying.

:hilarious:

Sounds pretty familiar to another poster who likes to post in Zavvi related threads, usually just before Wootball posts weirdly enough.

It is typical how you're trying to find something to bash Amazon. I don't need to search for small, little, meaningless things to bash Zavvi. Why? Because Zavvi is one big joke in general. It's actually the other way around: I have to look for things which are good about Zavvi, but i can't find anything. Please don't come with cheap shipping, there is a reason why it is cheap/free: items are poorly packaged, almost no quality controll, items arive extremely late or not at all, products cost more because of it.

Zavvi's packaging is the best of all UK retailers at the moment, quality control is down to the manufacturers and not the retailer (Amazon are not short of a few problems themselves on this front), and time isn't unreasonable. I think most here received their copies of Argo and The Town already and the release date is tomorrow.

So please give it a rest, we know Zavvi aren't perfectly and as much as you are annoyed about Wootball constantly defending Zavvi, I (and many others i'm sure) are even more annoyed by your constant bashing of Zavvi. Would you be glad if they stopped releasing Steelbooks all together and we had to rely on the few titles Amazon release per year? Maybe you would, but I certainly and nor would most collectors on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: TakingYoSteelz
Can we please keep it civilised folks. We don't want to have too start deleting posts. This is bound to be a hot topic but we need to be respectful of each others opinions, back and forth arguing does nothing but derails the thread so can we try and keep the posts relevant. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: snooloui
Play.com also went out of business....so maybe zavvi is preparing to stick around longer...which is also good for the steel collecting community.

Play did not go out of business, they chose to end direct retail sales after the UK government abolished Low Value Consignment Relief on packages shipped from Jersey, undermining Play's business model. I'm sure many US companies would do the same if local sales taxes suddenly increased by 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.