Ninja Trading Tip: Shipping Insurance for Group Buys & Trades [US & Canada members]

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hello friends!

For any group buy host or trader that is based in the USA or Canada.

We all know that sometimes packages are VERY expensive to ship via a trackable method.

The mods and staff members always ENCOURAGE these packages to be shipped in such a manner so there is no question about where the package is or if it has been shipped.

This is the PREFERRED method of TRADING here on hidefninja.com

However, sometimes it is necessary to mail your items to your friends or contact in such a way that it cannot be tracked. In fact, that friend or contact may opt for cheaper shipping that cannot be tracked.

In these cases, you may want to purchase shipping insurance - to protect yourself as the seller or as the trader.

I use a company called U-PIC and it does NOT require a tracking number for your package.

USA members know that you cannot insure anything through the US Postal Service WITHOUT a tracking number.

For USA folks, I always add the customs number in the "tracking field", just so they have a reference.

I recently sent a package to a friend in the Netherlands and it only cost $3.70 to insure the package for up to $150 in total value.

This company will cover LOSS or DAMAGE. I've never had trouble with them reimbursing me, but I also always keep all documentation - including postal receipts and photographs of the package I have sent (along with the items).

This may be an alternative for some of you that are not already aware of this service.

If any other member uses other insurance companies that they think may be beneficial, feel free to post here as well.

http://www.u-pic.com/

This is not an endorsement of this company, but I thought MY experience could assist some of the members of our trading community - and as I mentioned, it appears to work for Canada members too.

Sending 1 or 2 steelbooks overseas from Canada will cost around $18.00 and $35.00 respectively and includes $100.00 insurance. Canada Post is based on weight of the items. Over .50 Kilogram will cost a minimum $35.00 but there is no tracking.

We also put a low value on the item so that the receiver will not get hit by Customs and their charges.

I did a cost breakdown of sending a steelbook that was to be sold for $200.00. The tracking and insurance came close to $80.00 and I would have had to declare the value of it. Not worth it to the buyer.

Sending 1 or 2 steelbooks overseas from Canada will cost around $18.00 and $35.00 respectively and includes $100.00 insurance. Canada Post is based on weight of the items. Over .50 Kilogram will cost a minimum $35.00 but there is no tracking.

We also put a low value on the item so that the receiver will not get hit by Customs and their charges.

I did a cost breakdown of sending a steelbook that was to be sold for $200.00. The tracking and insurance came close to $80.00 and I would have had to declare the value of it. Not worth it to the buyer.

Your statement is confusing, you just stating how having tracking and insurance from Canada Post is expensive .... or you tried u-pic.com ???

Your statement is confusing, you just stating how having tracking and insurance from Canada Post is expensive .... or you tried u-pic.com ???

the numbers ran94 gave in the first part are from Canada Post ($18 & $35, $100 insurance), I don't know about the last part though...

Last edited:
That is an awesome solution!!!! I'm sure I'm gonna use that. Unfortunately, I still would prefer to have tracking since I would be able to actually track where my package is. Still better than nothing.

Shipping with Canada Post is just insane!!! Of course, even with regular shipping, you get up to 100$ insurance, but don't be rushed getting your money back. It can take up to 6 months before receiving your money.

Now, let's do a test with CANADA POST. For 2-3 steels, box size of 9x7x3 inc, weight of 1 kg.

For USA
Regular: 16$
With tracking: 21$
Those price are ok if you ask me.

For Europe
Regular: 35$
With tracking: 70$
YES, it's exactly the double... even for regular, it's still a non-sense...

Reactions: BluRayJunkie
That is an awesome solution!!!! I'm sure I'm gonna use that. Unfortunately, I still would prefer to have tracking since I would be able to actually track where my package is. Still better than nothing.

Shipping with Canada Post is just insane!!! Of course, even with regular shipping, you get up to 100$ insurance, but don't be rushed getting your money back. It can take up to 6 months before receiving your money.

Now, let's do a test with CANADA POST. For 2-3 steels, box size of 9x7x3 inc, weight of 1 kg.

For USA
Regular: 16$
With tracking: 21$
Those price are ok if you ask me.

For Europe
Regular: 35$
With tracking: 70$
YES, it's exactly the double... even for regular, it's still a non-sense...

Those prices are ridiculous. You could ship it to the USA, have the person in the USA then ship it to the person in Europe, and I still think it would be cheaper.:hilarious:

the numbers ran94 gave in the first part are from Canada Post ($18 & $35, $100 insurance), I don't know about the last part though...

What part don't you know?

Canada Post quoted $80.00 to ship a steelbook that I was going to sell for $200.00. I had it insured for $200.00 plus tracking. On top of that, I had to declare $200.00 value of the steelbook on the customs declaration, otherwise, no insurance. If I did that, then the buyer would have got killed on the customs tax when he picked up his package.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

What do you think I'm doing :naughty:

That is what I am thinking of doing also as I am 15mins from the US border.

It is very embarassing trying to justify Canadian postage rates to members outside North America. And having to ask extra for shipping when trading.

Sent From The Bat Cave.

I agree with this, I'm sure people probably think we are gouging them on shipping and pocketing that money but that isn't the case

Canada Post quoted $80.00 to ship a steelbook that I was going to sell for $200.00. I had it insured for $200.00 plus tracking. On top of that, I had to declare $200.00 value of the steelbook on the customs declaration, otherwise, no insurance. If I did that, then the buyer would have got killed on the customs tax when he picked up his package.

ah okay, I just wasn't sure if your cost breakdown was from Canada Post or using U-Pic. Thanks for the clarification

CanadaPost is a monopoly, they can charge whatever they want, they have no competition.

USPS has to complete with UPS and others, thats why their rates are cheaper.

You guys got DHL and Fed Ex too tho ... at least that's how I've shipped to Scanavo.

It is very embarassing trying to justify Canadian postage rates to members outside North America. And having to ask extra for shipping when trading.

Sent From The Bat Cave.
I know the feeling because the shipping cost from France is about the same, even more this year as the prices has increased.

Well guys, with this solution, I'm not saying you should do this - as officially you are supposed to declare what the package is worth.

But AHEM, if you were to declare as a lower value and / or gift on your package, this insurance solution does not REQUIRE that you declared that value, unlike the postage you would purchase from the carrier.

Like I said, I'm not recommending it, but theoretically, you CAN declare the package, at maybe $40 and gift and THEN insure if through U-pic for $200. ;)

How does it cost you so much? I can ship something to the expensive Australia for $11. Anywhere to the US for $9.90 Air method.

And as for the pricing, if you use an actual Canadapost office, the prices are fixed, as opposed to a canadapost inside a shoppers drug mart, where shoppers can charge whatever they want for shipping. Little known fact.

Ape: Good to know. I always get asked by those UK fellows to mark it as $15 or less because of duty fees :p

Last edited:
I realise that situation different in NA but if I was sending you Rambo and Iron Man I only have to declare it for cost not value, I assume similar situation exists in NA. It's the old showdown of cost vs worth vs value: all actually mean different things to different parties.

How does it cost you so much? I can ship something to the expensive Australia for $11. Anywhere to the US for $9.90 Air method.

And as for the pricing, if you use an actual Canadapost office, the prices are fixed, as opposed to a canadapost inside a shoppers drug mart, where shoppers can charge whatever they want for shipping. Little known fact.

Ape: Good to know. I always get asked by those UK fellows to mark it as $15 or less because of duty fees :p

I was using Canada Post XpressPost International as the buyer wanted it there in a couple of days.

Didnot know that about Shoppers Drug Mart as that is the closest post office to me. I thought they had the same rates as a Canada Post Office.