1917 (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: May 18, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order January 10 at 9 AM UK Time)
Price: £29.99

1917.jpg
12437995-5724735195364988.jpg

Last edited:
Not judging, just curious... because I've never understood when folks say they love a film but wouldn't rewatch it. For me, if I think a film is great, then I can easily rewatch it countless times. So what do you guys look for in a film for it to be rewatchable?
I found it very tense at times, I can't be watching that numerous times, it's not good for my health lol. Another few examples off the top of my head, of great films I can't really watch again but for other reasons; The Farewell, Benjamin Button, Precious. Maybe once every other year. To rewatch something numerous times it needs to have similar things to as @jasong says. Oh, and also, I'm not the biggest fans of war movies.

Reactions: Noodles and jasong
Loads of films (and steelbooks) set during WW II and in comparison WW I has been very neglected in steelbook form with very few I can recall apart from WAR HORSE set during that period so it's good to see another for collectors of war film steelbooks.
Compared to some great-looking WW II steelbooks out there not sure about this repetitive design (from the film's main poster) and looks sadly like official poster designs are very limited for this release . . . seems lazy with a capital "L" to me and would have preferred something different on the back still keeping the same front.

I think it's a pretty individual thing, but definately exists. Sometimes, a film is a one off experience (or maybe two off). It depends on length, and type of film and your own taste. For me this is pretty "heavy" a good story and very worthy, but not exactly "enjoyable". The film as a whole is good, but the acting for me wasn't very stand out. There has to be bits I want to re-watch as enjoyable. I am not sure I would get much more out of watching this and it was a hard experience in places. Not sure that explains, maybe its to personal. Some films I can watch numerous times, others once is just enough. Depth, music, humour, length, acting all come into it. A "great" film, often contains all of these imo. :thumbs:
I found it very tense at times, I can't be watching that numerous times, it's not good for my health lol. Another few examples off the top of my head, of great films I can't really watch again but for other reasons; The Farewell, Benjamin Button, Precious. Maybe once every other year. To rewatch something numerous times it needs to have similar things to as @jasong says. Oh, and also, I'm not the biggest fans of war movies.
OK, I can definitely understand that. Thanks for taking the time to explain! And since you put it that way, it reminded me that Shindler's List is a similar example for me... great film, but one I find myself putting off wanting to rewatch just because of how raw/unpleasant it is. Apart from that, I can't really think of any other films I think are great that I wouldn't rewatch... The Pianist maybe? Although I have seen that a couple times now lol. Oh, actually... The Broken Circle Breakdown - such a heartbreaking film.

Reactions: davhyl and jasong
I'll probably get roasted for this, but there are a bunch of films that would be considered iconic that I couldn't sit through again.

Some of these would be:

Apocalypse Now.
Taxi Driver.
Chinatown.
The Deer Hunter.

:sorry: :yawn:

I don't know how anyone could watch these over and over. I'd rather watch my nails grow to be honest!!

I'll probably get roasted for this, but there are a bunch of films that would be considered iconic that I couldn't sit through again.

Some of these would be:

Apocalypse Now.
Taxi Driver.
Chinatown.
The Deer Hunter.

I don't know how anyone could watch these over and over. I'd rather watch my nails grow to be honest!!
I kinda agree with all of those... I found them all rather boring at first. Although, Taxi Driver did eventually grow on me and now I love it! Tried to do the same with Apocalypse Now, but it just ain't happening. As for Deer Hunter and Chinatown, I've only seen them once so need to rewatch them to make sure.

Some of these would be:

Apocalypse Now.
Taxi Driver.
Chinatown.
The Deer Hunter.

Apocalypse Now is the only one out of these that I could watch on a regular-ish enough basis (and by that, I mean maybe once a year).
Taxi Driver I watch every few years but saying that I watched it maybe two years ago for the first time in a decade.
Only seen Chinatown & The Deer Hunter once, I could see myself going back to Chinatown but probably not The Deer Hunter again.

It just shows their are general films that fit this category, but individual taste is still so relevant. Apocalypse Now is an annual at lest for me. Watched it twice last year, once at the cinema. Love it and always see more

Shindlers List is a good example for me. I watched The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas, an important film, but damn sure I’m not going there again!
I can watch Mandy, Exorcist, Mad Max, Ghost in The Shell, Suspiria, Good Will Hunting etc, whenever I fancy. Interesting subject.

Reactions: Noodles
I really think it's as simple as just connecting with the film. Also, the heavier and longer the film is, seems to play a part.

A lot of people hate it, but I could watch Jaws every 6 weeks! I don't know why......?

Reactions: jasong and Noodles
I really think it's as simple as just connecting with the film. Also, the heavier and longer the film is, seems to play a part.

A lot of people hate it, but I could watch Jaws every 6 weeks! I don't know why......?
Hold up a minute... a lot of people hate Jaws?! Who are these imbeciles? :bored: :p

I have a massive phobia of sharks and the open sea, but I love me some Jaws! :D

I kinda agree with all of those... I found them all rather boring at first. Although, Taxi Driver did eventually grow on me and now I love it! Tried to do the same with Apocalypse Now, but it just ain't happening. As for Deer Hunter and Chinatown, I've only seen them once so need to rewatch them to make sure.

Yep I'm the same with all of those above. I was under the age of 10 during the seventies so I didn't see any of these movies until years later and I admit they just don't do anything for me. When it comes to "classic" movies, I find that if I didn't see them around the time when they were released then I just don't get what other people do from them.

I was in high school in the eighties and went to the movies all the time. Those are the movies that I can watch over and over again...and I do.

Yep I'm the same with all of those above. I was under the age of 10 during the seventies so I didn't see any of these movies until years later and I admit they just don't do anything for me. When it comes to "classic" movies, I find that if I didn't see them around the time when they were released then I just don't get what other people do from them.

I was in high school in the eighties and went to the movies all the time. Those are the movies that I can watch over and over again...and I do.
Welp, I was under the age of 0 in the 70s. :p

I had absolutely no interest in older movies until I was in my twenties, and even then it took me a while to get into them and find ones I truly loved. Now I love a classic film! Granted there are some where I simply don't understand the hype... Citizen Kane for example. Like you though, it probably has a lot to do with me not growing up with them and having watched them when they were first released, therefore not truly appreciating their achievements in cinema.

Reactions: jasong and Stygian
Welp, I was under the age of 0 in the 70s. :p

I had absolutely no interest in older movies until I was in my twenties, and even then it took me a while to get into them and find ones I truly loved. Now I love a classic film! Granted there are some where I simply don't understand the hype... Citizen Kane for example. Like you though, it probably has a lot to do with me not growing up with them and having watched them when they were first released, therefore not truly appreciating their achievements in cinema.

That's hilarious that you mentioned Citizen Kane! I typed out Citizen Kane in my post above to add to the classic movies that did nothing for me and then deleted it to just stick with movies from the '70's. Yeah that film was a total waste of time for me.

• Haha
Hold up a minute... a lot of people hate Jaws?! Who are these imbeciles? :bored: :p

I have a massive phobia of sharks and the open sea, but I love me some Jaws! :D

I hate jaws mate fYi

I love this topic though, it’s always mad to here what these great but only watch once films are from people. There are so many.
shawshank is one of my big ones. And although I’ve seen interstellar 3 time’s I can’t see me watching it again.
but certain intense, heavy, depressing films I can watch over and over. Like the road for example. It’s odd

changelling is a big one of mine. I love it and I either meet people who have never heard or seen it or just didn’t think it was that good! Mad, Eastwood and jolies best imo

Last edited:
  • Wow
I actually quite dig the artwork... it's consistent from front to back at least. I maybe would've preferred a quote on the rear though, rather than just "1917" again.

With a nice finish, it could look even better... imagine it glossed and 'bossed! It'll probably end up flat and matte as usual though lol. :rolleyes:

I actually quite dig the artwork... it's consistent from front to back at least. I maybe would've preferred a quote on the rear though, rather than just "1917" again.

With a nice finish, it could look even better... imagine it glossed and 'bossed! It'll probably end up flat and matte as usual though lol. :rolleyes:

I like it too. In a perfect world I’d like it smooth satin matte black with a debossed and spot glossed 1917 image