Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Release date: November 20, 2018
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $29.99

6289680_sa.jpg

Last edited:
With this being, we presume, a worldwide release, I wonder what the chances are for a Black Barons or HDZeta silver, etc.?

Man, that would be great and I'd be all over it! Love 2001, it's one of my favorite movies ever. Hopefully we'll see a premium package soon, with the 4K UHD/new Blu-Ray coming out.
By the way, two weeks ago I went to Frankfurt and visited the "Deutsche Filmmuseum". They currently have a special exhibition dedicated to 2001. It was amazing to see some of the surviving props. I took some (bad) photos during my stay. You may want to click on the spoiler if you're interested:
01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg
07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg
10.jpg
If you're around you can go see the exhibition until September 23. Highy recommended! :)

That is really cool, @CleverLoginName--thanks so much for sharing the pictures! I'd love to see the spacesuits in person. :)

Funny story about the starchild prop--when they were filming it, the heat from the lights made it start to melt, so that it looked like tears were running down its face. The guy who made the prop saw it and at first thought, "What have I done?? It's so real, it's crying!"

Reactions: CleverLoginName
Just for fun, I tried making that steelbook concept into a full premium edition. It's my first attempt, so I'm still learning. I know this kind of look wouldn't be for everyone, but I love the vintage artwork, so it was fun to work on this concept. :) All the art on the steel and the slip is by Robert McCall. It's the images that I most associate with the movie, though they aren't used as much lately. It really brings back the ideals and imagination of an earlier era, which I like.

2001 complete trial 1sm.png

Just for fun, I tried making that steelbook concept into a full premium edition. It's my first attempt, so I'm still learning. I know this kind of look wouldn't be for everyone, but I love the vintage artwork, so it was fun to work on this concept. :) All the art on the steel and the slip is by Robert McCall. It's the images that I most associate with the movie, though they aren't used as much lately. It really brings back the ideals and imagination of an earlier era, which I like.

View attachment 392212
you are EVIL!

05BA8540-0610-4AB5-BF3C-AD3D2FA6BC86.png
That's freaking AWESOME.

already posted this in the UK thread, but also posting it here so more ninjas may answer:

there is something I would like to know, if anyone knows.

is this the version Leon Vitali worked on (what Kubrick intended), or the "new" Christopher Nolan version that was made for Cannes? Nolan's version is supposed to be unaltered, based on the first 70mm prints, so it has a yellow tint.

difference can be seen here:

already posted this in the UK thread, but also posting it here so more ninjas may answer:

is this the version Leon Vitali worked on (what Kubrick intended), or the "new" Christopher Nolan version that was made for Cannes? Nolan's version is supposed to be unaltered, based on the first 70mm prints, so it has a yellow tint.

Honestly going off that video, I prefer the 2007 version.

Reactions: Sigill

New 70mm prints for the classic film were recently struck from pristine printing elements made from the original camera negative. A longtime admirer of the late American auteur, Christopher Nolan worked closely with the team at Warner Bros. Pictures throughout the mastering process.

Home Media release on UHD and Blu-ray
Building on the work done for the new 70mm prints, the 4K Blu-ray with HDR presentation was mastered from the 65mm original camera negative. The 4K Blu-ray also includes both a remixed and restored 5.1 DTS-HD master audio track, as well as the original 1968 6-track theatrical audio mix (formatted for 5.1 DTS-HD master audio).

That's the info made available it's hard to say for sure but the home media release say's it's remastered from the 65mm original camera negative
Both 4K UHD and Blu-ray is a new remastered version

The only way anyone will know for sure is when they get delivery and view the film on the remastered 4K UHD Disc and Blu-ray Disc

Warner Brothers Trailer for 4K Home Media Release

Last edited:
That's the info made available it's hard to say for sure but the home media release say's it's remastered from the 65mm original camera negative
Both 4K UHD and Blu-ray is a new remastered version

The only way anyone will know for sure is when they get delivery and view the film on the remastered 4K UHD Disc and Blu-ray Disc

Warner Brothers Trailer for 4K Home Media Release

yes, and it's quite confusing, because from what I read, Leon Vitali, who made the color on the 2007 Blu-ray, said he was also working on a 4K version. But Nolan worked on a 4K version as well (but I think his goal was more to show what the movie was like in 68 and not what Kubrick really wanted to show). And some people say the studio might have dumped Vitali's version to only use the Nolan version, but nothing has been confirmed. From the trailer you linked, it seems it's the Nolan's version.

Some people say Nolan worked based on notes made by Kubrick, but then why does it look so different from the version made by Kubrick's right hand man: Vitali?

I am not saying the choice to show how the movie originally was is a bad idea, but according to some people, Kubrick always tried to use the latest technology, so actually releasing a version "unaltered" is not what Kubrick would want.

I am not sure what to think right now. Maybe the right thing is to buy it anyway, and just get a cheap 2007 disc if I am disapointed?

Reactions: paulboland