2010: Year of the Xbox 360?

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Out with the old and in with the new is the usual quid pro quo that comes at the end of each year and with everything gamers have been exposed to, 2009 will without a doubt be a tough act to follow. However, as Microsoft Game Studios flaunts what the 360 has to offer, the console stands to seize the market and become the centerpiece of the game industry in 2010. As Microsoft continues to provide a seemingly endless supple of new quality content and numerous choice exclusives, this is just the tip of the iceberg of the treat gamers are in for come next year. Conversely, Project Natal stands to revolutionize how video games move players along with how we enjoy our overall entertainment experience when it comes to the 360. Last but not least, the continued support and updates via Xbox Live ensure that as long as developers want to, they really can provide a vast, indefinite amount of additional content to their choice audiences. Thus, it becomes evident that the Xbox 360 really does stand to reshape the industry as a whole and remain a leader in the gaming community throughout the span of 2010.

Console exclusive titles are slowly disappearing as publishers take their games multiplatform, however gamers can rest easy knowing that the tide of exclusives are still coming to the 360. In hindsight, Modern Warfare 2 was one of the biggest titles of 2009, despite being a multiplatform title. However, it still outsold its PS3 counterpart quite well according to Activision’s Chief Operations Officer Dennis Durkin, "Initial feedback from retailers is that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [on Xbox 360] has outsold the PS3 2:1," and is also played by significantly more players on Xbox Live as opposed to PSN. Despite being a multiplatform launch, I have a feeling Modern Warfare 2 will remain a daunting 360 favorite both online and off for sometime to come. However, in 2010, players are going to be seeing many new titles to relish in. For the first time ever, gamers will get a taste of the one-time Playstation 3 exclusive Final Fantasy XIII. Sparking a fair amount of fanboy protest, the only applicable comparison I can imagine would be if Halo was ever seen standing to be released on a Sony system. Additionally, 360 owners can expect titles like Mass Effect 2, Fable III and Halo Reach to feed their urge for deliciously awesome exclusives that we’ve come to expect from Microsoft Game Studios as a publisher.

Speaking of awesome, Project Natal is currently looking to be on track for a late 2010 release, making next Christmas seem farther on the horizon than it already is. For the three of you who will read this in your caves, Natal is set to update how motion controls are used in-game. Essentially taking what Nintendo did with the Wii many, many steps forward; the Natal camera will enable users to utilize the 360 in the plethora of ways previously unheard of. First shown off at E3 June 1, 2009, Microsoft coincidentally shipped software development kits the very same day and would show off the potential of the motion camera at the show and during their press conference. From motion capturing games, to in-game characters that distinguish and interact with the player as well as signing a player in based on facial recognition, it ostensibly seems too good to be true and may very well have a few flaws when it gets in the hands of gamers. However, what really sets it apart from its contemporaries is that it allows all interaction to be done without any form of controller held in the hand of the user. Personally, I don’t mind flailing my arms about like an idiot holding a controller, but Natal stands a true step towards player immersion and while it isn’t Holodeck perfect, it strikes me as being very fascinating in the potential it possesses. It should make for an exceptional holiday season come 2010 if Microsoft genuinely makes the effort to release Natal to the public with an ample compendium of worthwhile titles as opposed, say, a collection of mini-games.

source: planetxbox360.com/article_9130/2010_The_Year_of_Xbox_360_Domination

I'm guessing the 360 will do fine but I think Natal will bomb in the long-run and be something that just sits and collects dust.

The Wii is almost a useless machine with all the 3rd party games drying up and not being purchased (see Dead Space)... the casual market will but Natal, and some hardcore gamers... but it wont be as big as they were hoping I don't think.

I think Sony and MS dropped the ball with the casual market... Casual gamers don't want hardcore games. They want to play randomly and sometimes not at all for weeks. I don't think most casual gamers will get a PS3 or 360 for a few casual games.

I also don't think 2010 will be the year for the xbox. Their time is over and the PS3 will reign supreme for the rest of this gen. Xbox might get another year head-start next gen... but this gen they're done. Regardless of the MW2 numbers.

And before i'm bashed as a troll (lol) i'm not the only one saying this stuff. TONS of interweb sites are agreeing. The PS3 ended strong in 2009 and will kill it in 2010.

the only thing i see going strong for Xbox 360 is it's Halo Series,that's the real pinnacle of gaming on the 360,so when ever Halo:Reach drop's they will sell million's again.

and as everyone said about Nintendo wii is true,Project Natal is also a Gimmick,people play games nearly half a day and sometimes on weekend's All day,No one want's to be flinging their arm's in the air All the time just to play a video game.

i really think this whole motion control on each side of ps3 and xbox 360 isn't going to work....It's going to be the Power Glove all over again,it looked good at the start but it's just going to Fail and we all and every time played a game it was on a controller not your Motion wearing you out of energy

I agree...I don't think this will be the year of the 360. However, I may finally give in and get a 360 though. There's finally a few games I wouldn't mind playing: Left 4 dead 2, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Gears of War 2.

I still have a difficult time justifying buying one though, seeing as I will spend almost all of my time on the ps3.

I agree...I don't think this will be the year of the 360. However, I may finally give in and get a 360 though. There's finally a few games I wouldn't mind playing: Left 4 dead 2, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Gears of War 2.

I still have a difficult time justifying buying one though, seeing as I will spend almost all of my time on the ps3.

I feel you man, mine only picks up dust. I still spend most of my time on the PS3.