3D 3D Poll: Are you seeing the world in 3D?

Do you have to or have you purchased 3D equipment?

• Yes, I own a 3D HDTV and player, plus a few movies!

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • No, I have not yet purchased 3D equipment, but it's likely that I will.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • No, I have not purchased 3D equipment, and I will not because it's a "fad".

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • I am not sure if I will or not-depends on price.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I am not sure if I will or not-depends on the # of movies released.

• Nope, 3D is for theaters only-you can't replicate the experience at home.

Votes: 4 6.3%

Votes: 25 39.1%

Votes: 28 43.8%

• Total voters
I've waited and waited for a 3d set, as I always thought it'd be a fad too and probably so. However last month I purchased a panasonic plasma, glasses were £50 a pair. It'll be a long time before glasses are not needed, well for me to afford anyway. I'm absolutely loving 3D in the house, it's really great.

I love 3d but it doesn't work with all movies....animated ones are probably the best as well as movies made for 3d like avatar...with lots of computer imaging....

I think home 3D is a fad that's on its way out. High Frame Rate seems to have taken its place, and I really don't like how HFR looks on the TVs at Walmart or Fry's.

I rarely see movies in 3D, unless they seem to be filmed with that in mind.

That being said, my dad gave me his 3D TV a few months ago and I have to admit it's enjoyable. I don't get any eyestrain however when I experience 3D (movie glasses, TV glasses, Nintendo 3DS) so I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. I still wouldn't recommend buying a 3D TV to most people.

Well that's just dumb. What about the steelbook collectors who love 3D (like me)? If steelbooks stopped including 3D, I'd stop buying them.

No it's not dumb.
But don't worry, the big film studios run in your favor. They won't stop making 3D films and steelbooks of them.
I mean, how else are they going to be able to charge the consumer extra for an effect that influences story-telling in maybe 1 film every year?

Rover

Reactions: hayemaker
No it's not dumb.
But don't worry, the big film studios run in your favor. They won't stop making 3D films and steelbooks of them.
I mean, how else are they going to be able to charge the consumer extra for an effect that influences story-telling in maybe 1 film every year?

Rover

I'll never understand film lovers who are so opposed to more a more immersive filmgoing experience. It's just like the people who were opposed to "talkies" or color film when they came out

No, dumb is wanting to overpay for a product just because it includes something as redundant as 3D.

I'm not sure you know what redundant means. Redundant would be DVD or digital copies since they're the same exact film (but in lesser quality). 3D is a different experience.

I'm not sure you know what redundant means. Redundant would be DVD or digital copies since they're the same exact film (but in lesser quality). 3D is a different experience.

A different experience doesn't make it any less redundant. Here's a definition of redundant for you to avoid confusion, not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous

I have a 3DTV, so a 3D disc is useful.

Just because you don't have the equipment to play it on doesn't mean others don't either.

Of course people have 3D equipment but this is just my opinion based on the market and where I see this going in a few years time. I don't want or need a 3D disk in my steelbook and have no desire to pay extra for it now knowing it'll be useless in a few years. I understand some people may feel differently at the moment.

Of course people have 3D equipment but this is just my opinion based on the market and where I see this going in a few years time. I don't want or need a 3D disk in my steelbook and have no desire to pay extra for it now knowing it'll be useless in a few years. I understand some people may feel differently at the moment.
Your opinion is that it's dumb to want to pay extra for a product that includes a 3D disc, right?

So are you calling me dumb for choosing to pay an extra few quid to have the 3D disc?

Of course you can attempt to read the market and predict where it's going, but at the same time surely bluray will eventually become a dead format? So why buy that? Films are coming out in 3D right now, and I have a 3DTV right now. So guess what? I would like my steels to include 3D discs right now.

I didn't bring the word dumb into this thread, I just turned it around on someone who had wrongly used it.

I believe blu ray will be around for the foreseeable future.

Either way, I'm done talking 3D in this thread. I'm allowed to say I don't want a 3D disc in my steelbook and I hope that studios stop including it (unless it's against forum rules to do this)

Reactions: rover
I didn't bring the word dumb into this thread, I just turned it around on someone who had wrongly used it.

Either way, I'm done talking 3D in this thread. I'm allowed to say I don't want a 3D disc in my steelbook and I hope that studios stop including it (unless it's against forum rules to do this)
No, dumb is wanting to overpay for a product just because it includes something as redundant as 3D.

:rolleyes::muted:

I'm sorry but that's just flat out naive. I'm 29 and I've already lived through 4 methods of film distribution. VHS, DVD, bluray and digital. You can say that 3D sales is on a decline, well so is sales of physical media. All evidence points towards everything becoming downloadable.

You say 3D is gonna die, I say blurays are gonna die too. Yet here we are, spending our money on a doomed format.

I'll never understand film lovers who are so opposed to more a more immersive filmgoing experience. It's just like the people who were opposed to "talkies" or color film when they came out.

Fair enough. But you won't be changing my opinion and I won't be changing your's. I just think you should be careful throwing around the word 'dumb' with regards to the opinions of others.

For me, there is nothing more immersive than good story-telling.
I can think of only Gravity, Coraline and HTTYD where I felt the 3D influenced and lifted the story. That's 3 films in 5 years.

Rover

Last edited:
I say blurays are gonna die too. Yet here we are, spending our money on a doomed format.
While I agree that will happen at some point, first super-fast internet connections need to be available for everyone for films to be available in a similar quality digitally, so I imagine it'll be a while yet (thankfully, as I prefer a physical copy of a film - preferably Steelbook).
While I get ~70 Mbps download at work, I still only get 10 Mbps at home, where I used to live I got even less than that.

Last edited:
I really like 3D at home on my 47'' screen, lights off glasses on and I'm immersed. I'm fairly new to 3D so I don't have to many 3D blu's at the moment any suggestions?