3D 3D Poll: Are you seeing the world in 3D?

Do you have to or have you purchased 3D equipment?

• Yes, I own a 3D HDTV and player, plus a few movies!

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • No, I have not yet purchased 3D equipment, but it's likely that I will.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • No, I have not purchased 3D equipment, and I will not because it's a "fad".

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • I am not sure if I will or not-depends on price.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I am not sure if I will or not-depends on the # of movies released.

• Nope, 3D is for theaters only-you can't replicate the experience at home.

Votes: 4 6.3%

Votes: 25 39.1%

Votes: 28 43.8%

• Total voters
Ah, I didn't know if great north was minnesota, north dakota, or canada. my bad.

Are you even close to the border? Buy it in america then take it back with u.

I've actually heard of people going to Costco and buying a big screen to watch a big weekend game and returning it the following week - no questions asked! Enjoy your new set. I'm sure it will be great.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

People do that with pretty much everything at Costco :rolleyes:

I don't know how a 3DTV costs an extra 1500 dollars.. Most places have them on sale with a 3D blu-ray player, 2 glasses, and the TV all for that sale price. You would only need 2 extra glasses at $150 a pop.

There is a Samsung PN58C680 at Best Buy right now for $1899, that's only $100 more than the set you are looking at. (vs Amazon prices)

Either way you are going to get a good set. Enjoy!

Unfortunately up here in Canada we get raked over the coals for electronics. Granted the numbers I threw out there included things like a new digital 3D TV receiver, but I felt it was valid to include as I know I will not go half way down the path.

There are currently no TVs for sale, in my area anyway, that are bundled with glasses. A couple of brands are offered with the 3D player, but I have a PS3 so that bundle did not help me out. To buy glasses, I woulfd be looking at about $200 a pair with a minum of 4 pair. Panasonic glasses are about $99 a pair but I had to price the glasses for the TV(s) I was looking at and any savings on the Panasonic glaes were more than eaten up by the higher cost of the Panasonic 3D TV

To get the Samsung I am looking at, but the 3D model, the price was about $800 more than what I will pay at Costco.

When I quickly added everything up, the extra $$ were just too much of an investment for something I would only occasionally use.

Cheers
CrashKelly

Example of the markup

Amazon.com
Panasonic TC-P58VT25 58-inch 3D 1080p VIERA Plasma HDTV: $2495

FutureShop.ca
Panasonic 58" 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV (TCP58VT25): $3499

This is a random example of the TVs I was looking at, but the markups were relatively the same across the board between countries

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

Ah, I didn't know if great north was minnesota, north dakota, or canada. my bad.

Are you even close to the border? Buy it in america then take it back with u.

I had actually considered that, but was concerned about warranty work and the like.

Beyond that the duty hammer would fall hard at the border as it is pretty hard to hide a 58" TV :D

CHeers
CRashKelly

Last edited:
I wonder if they would actually get mad about that. If you lived close enough, the warranty would be good as long as you took it back to a Best Buy in the USA (or any store you bought it from in the US.)

It's sad to see the differences in pricing just minutes from the USA, that's insane.

You could at least import the glasses though through amz.com

I just bought my mother in law the panny plasma 54" 3d tv which came with a player and 2 glasses and avatar ... she then turned around and told me to get her 4 more glasses.

So I found 2packs combined with coraline and ice age @ $200 ... so thats like $100 each plus 2 free movies.

I wonder if they would actually get mad about that. If you lived close enough, the warranty would be good as long as you took it back to a Best Buy in the USA (or any store you bought it from in the US.)

It's sad to see the differences in pricing just minutes from the USA, that's insane.

It is very sad to see the differences in pricing between the countries, especially with the close to par currencies. A little higher is fine, but differences of $1000 is insane.

In terms of buying down there and bringing it back for warranty work I have nightmares about going and buying it and getting it home to find it DOA EEK! :ohno:

I am about 6.5 hours North of Great Falls Montana

I just bought my mother in law the panny plasma 54" 3d tv which came with a player and 2 glasses and avatar ... she then turned around and told me to get her 4 more glasses.

So I found 2packs combined with coraline and ice age @ $200 ... so thats like $100 each plus 2 free movies.

I had thougt of that as well and strongly considered it, especially with the CDN dollar being where it is, but when Totaled everything up I just could not justify the extra expenditures.

I am getting a good deal on the TV I am looking at and will have no issues replacuing it in 2+ years as I can give this TV to the kids and get another one for me ........ oh ya, and the family. A $3500 to $4000 investment, for all in, would have to go a minimum of 5 years

Cheers
Michael

well if you are replacing it in 2 years, then go ahead, the 3D will only be better and cheaper then. As most people buy a TV for a 5-10 year span before replacing. I need to stop generalizing, too much sales work in my blood. lol

well if you are replacing it in 2 years, then go ahead, the 3D will only be better and cheaper then. As most people buy a TV for a 5-10 year span before replacing. I need to stop generalizing, too much sales work in my blood. lol

Those are my thoughts exactly. I am not breaking the bank on this purchase, and I did my homework so the spouse it happy and I have future TV purchase credits in the bank.

2 years from now 3D will be better/different than it is today and the prices will have dropped stabilized and by that time I might be in the market for a projector, 3D of course :D

Cheers
CrashKelly

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Up here, buying a 54 in panasonic 3-D plasma gets you Avatar and thats it :angry:

Cheers
CrashKelly

Supposedly Toshiba's glasses free 3d set is going to be out by the end of this year. I'm anxious to see how it works and will be waiting until sony's version comes out, as everything else i have is sony, minus my current vizio tv, so i may as well as get a sony set to match.

ps. I didnt use my money for the mother-in-law, I spent hers. :p

EEK! :D

Supposedly Toshiba's glasses free 3d set is going to be out by the end of this year. I'm anxious to see how it works and will be waiting until sony's version comes out, as everything else i have is sony, minus my current vizio tv, so i may as well as get a sony set to match.

This is also part of the reason I am not going 3D right now. The current active shutter technology is pretty stable, but I would not want to drop a wad of cash to get all the goodies and in less than a year my buddy across the road buys the no-glasses 3D TV and I am still wearing glasses :(

Cheers
CrashKelly

EEK! :D

This is also part of the reason I am not going 3D right now. The current active shutter technology is pretty stable, but I would not want to drop a wad of cash to get all the goodies and in less than a year my buddy across the road buys the no-glasses 3D TV and I am still wearing glasses :(

Cheers
CrashKelly

I am sure companies will add the cost of the glasses into the final price of these glassless TVs. They'll have to make up for the profits they'll no longer be making. At least for the very first sets.

I've been following a lot of CES... the glasses free 3D seems to have some issues and the price point is through the roof. I do like the TV sets that LG and Vizio announced using the passive 3D glasses (i.e. movie theater glasses) but the projected pricing of those sets makes it cheaper to buy the active shutter glasses and forget they exist.

Unfortunately no new TV this past weekend as we were snowbound due to a nasty weekend long blizzard.

Wind chills dropped into the -40C range, but thankfully we did not lose power, although TV was intermittent and Internet was down.

Hundreds of people were stranded on local highways due to whiteout conditions. Thankfully, my family was all home safe and sound on Friday night and we just cozied up and watched the chaos through the windows.

Hopefully will get out for it this week

Cheers
CrashKelly

Last edited:
I'm going to buy all this soon and try it out ....

The US version of this player can directly output checkerboard 3D format (in addition to HDMI 1.4) which makes it particularly well suited to drive the 1080P Mitsubishi and Samsung 3D DLP HDTVs. Players from outside the US do not have the checkerboard option.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZXE87A/?tag=hidefnin-20

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Someone claimed these glasses worked better instead and to buy them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q96CCC/?tag=hidefnin-20

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Unfortunately no new TV this past weekend as we were snowbound due to a nasty weekend long blizzard.

Wind chills dropped into the -40C range, but thankfully we did not lose powere, although TV was intermittent and Internet was down.

Hundreds of people were stranded on local highways due to whiteout conditions. Thankfully, my fanmily was all home safe anf sound on Friday night and we just cozied up and watched the koas through the windows.

Hopefully will get out for it this week

Cheers
CrashKelly

What are koas some type of animal? Thats crazy cold, couldnt imagine someone losing power in that! EEK!

I'm going to buy all this soon and try it out ....

The US version of this player can directly output checkerboard 3D format (in addition to HDMI 1.4) which makes it particularly well suited to drive the 1080P Mitsubishi and Samsung 3D DLP HDTVs. Players from outside the US do not have the checkerboard option.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZXE87A/?tag=hidefnin-20

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Someone claimed these glasses worked better instead and to buy them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q96CCC/?tag=hidefnin-20

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

What are koas some type of animal? Thats crazy cold, couldnt imagine someone losing power in that! EEK!

Never heard of a koa? They are a smaller north american version of a koala and have adapted to the cold weather present in the Canadian Prairies. They are usually only seen during blizzards as they are not yet skilled at just hanging the frak on ............... :D

Fortunately, there have been no reported deaths due to people being stuck in their vehicles for extended periods as people either found there way to homes or were rescued by police or snow plow drivers.

We are continually warned here to not drive with less than half a tank of gas and to always have an emergency kit in your car that includes a blanket and candles. I have driven in a whiteout and it is scary as hell as you cannot even see past the hood of your car and there are no points of reference to tell you you are still on the road. Even driving to work today you can see cars littering the ditches and medians.

Unfortunately it sounds like there may be more of the same this coming weekend.

Cheers
CrashKelly

I've driven in a whiteout once, totally sucked. I ended up turning around and going backwards lol to go sleep at my job. (since I was originally trying to make it home.)

I've driven in a whiteout once, totally sucked. I ended up turning around and going backwards lol to go sleep at my job. (since I was originally trying to make it home.)

That was exactly what I was doing when I drove through it, trying to get home.

If at all possible, I will never do it again

Cheers
CrashKelly

I Have to say that I'm very happy with my Samsung 50" 3D Plasma that I bought at the start of February to replace my 4 year old 42 Samsung plasma. I got it in Media Markt when they had a (frantic) 2 days with VAT (sales tax) removed from all prices - My TV was reduced from 1029 Euros to 930. Not bad considering I paid 1300 euros for the previous set! Only have 2 3D blu-rays at the moment, but very impressed with the picture both 2D & 3D. Had to buy an extra pair of glasses as the set only comes with one. I got some from Amazon.co.uk for 55 pounds - MM wanted 155 euros for the same thing!

I always follow the advice that most of the knowledgeable technical journalists make and turn OFF all the fancy bells and whistles that are supposed to improve the picture, but most of the time just ruin it. With the default settings on my Samsung everyone looked like cartoon characters and with all films looking like the were shot on video. So things like "motion smoothing, digital noise reduction, etc. with these off film looks like film - with grain where present, video looks clear and sharp. I also found that "movie" as picture setting produces the best blacks.