An Open Letter to BluFans, Let's Talk about Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hi members of HiDefNinja, it is with some sadness that I write to you today about the end of an era here at HDN.

Recently a situation unfolded where one of our group buy hubs was accused of stealing a number of copies of a BluFans release, and was told that they needed to repay Kevin over $1,000 to replace the items that were lost.

The items in question represent less than 1% of the total items in a BluFans print run.

Some people would have you believe this is just a "disagreement" between HDN and Kevin.

If you are new to HDN, or perhaps just not aware of how these group buys work with BluFans - the hubs, the persons responsible for shipping out hundreds upon hundreds of steelbooks work for very little (if any) compensation. I would propose that our hubs are some of the most trustworthy members here and a great asset to this site. Often they do their best to combine shipping for you to reduce the cost in general and bring you a great release, safely packaged and delivered - such that you do not have to rely on ebay sellers or other folks that will mark these items up.

Having said that, packages sent from BluFans are done in the following way.

1) They are marked a very low value and as "plastic" cards to avoid customs
2) Tracking numbers, are rarely shared with the hubs.
3) There is no invoice or packing slip that state how many items should have been received.
4) Sometimes members are left off or missed in the creation of the lists. Meaning the count of the total items sent is not always accurate.

Therefore, as a hub on this forum, there is a level of trust that we put in not only BluFans, but also bluraysteel (Kevin) to accurately and correctly convey our responsibilities in delivering these releases to you. To give you an idea, one box (only one!) of BluFans steels can exceed $900 in total value.

These boxes are NOT insured! So what happens when items are lost, not sent, or the records are incorrect? It appears that they will come after the group buy hubs! :(

And as this trust has now been violated, as no hub now or previously (unless they keep very thorough records of every shipment made, to every member that is on their list) can completely disprove the accusation that has been made. We have nothing at our disposal that can show without a doubt what we say is true, despite the pictures on our threads of the items, the posts about when we received them, and the other information we very publicly share with you, our members, to keep you up to date.

To restate this...it has been said that one of us, one of our hubs, is not a person that can be trusted.

I've gone to great lengths to personally investigate this question and provide pictures, posts and other information that show very clearly that HDN nor our hub stole from BluFans.

I think we can all agree that we love BluFans releases. We love the package, we love their thought and care that is put into creating a wonderful collectors items. But it seems as though bluraysteel has decided to take all of his group buys somewhere else in retaliation for not sending him $1000.

I cannot stop you from supporting BluFans releases, and I'm not asking you to not buy their steelbooks. But I would like you to consider that you will not receive the support from moderators and staff members on other forums that you have received here. There likely will not be any quantity per member limits that are enforced. There will not be the hubs you have worked with so many times before. I hope there are not other challenges as well.

I would like to take this opportunity to call on BluFans, to call on Abu to replace bluraysteel as the liaison between our two forums, and to instead use someone that can work with HDN, and will not turn on HDN or our hubs so quickly.

Thank you very much for reading this thread, and I would like to personally apologize to you if this causes any trouble.

For members of my UP 3D slip hub, as far as I'm aware some of these are on the way to me currently - and if they do arrive, I will continue to assist in completing this group buy and bring you the items you paid for.

Best regards,

Andy

I believe I've stated this somewhere before,Blufans' majority of sales comes from members on this forum whether by group buys or other means indirectly.The traffic goes thru HDN.Without the members here,there would not even be close to the success they have had.I remember when they only had 2 titles released ( FMC and LTBF) for the longest time.Eventually after our input and involvement in their sales in the times after that,the amount of releases have been coming in left and right and thats a big thanks to the members here for significantly increasing the demand for their high quality steels that is second to none.But there's got to be a way to sell your merchandise.Without the sales,it is insignificant regardless of the gems you possess.The problem with group buys is that it is not full proof.Plain and simple.Its basically a trading forum.You always have to rely on somebody else and sooner or later theft is inevitable and a lot of people are out of funds.Andy has mentioned being able to order from them directly before if I recall correctly.I feel that this is the best way to move forward.If Blufans want the most profit possible,this is what you have to do.Because of whats happened to bluraysteel,people are going to be more hesitant in joining.Blufans need to step it up and move forward with the rest of the retailers and hire a few more people for their staff.Companies ship out of China all the time and they are more than competent to be able to handle it.I've basically removed myself from joining group buys a quite a few months ago because there are just too many steps and TIME in between when you pay and when you receive your collectible.Kimchidvd is a good example of a direct peer between the two and as mentioned before,as understaffed as they are,they are able to deal with the massive demand from collectors world wide.Blufans...time to move forward.

So, what about monsters university is that going ahead? So there will be no more group buys for blufans on this site? Or it will just not be overseen by mods?

So, what about monsters university is that going ahead? So there will be no more group buys for blufans on this site? Or it will just not be overseen by mods?

bluraysteel has pulled any and all group buys - current and future from this site.

Unless BluFans themselves read this thread, that's the impasse we're at.

Having said that, if you paid for UP 3D slip, and you are concerned about getting your item from someone that no longer visits here, you have a couple of options.

As I mentioned in the OP, there are supposedly some on their way to me. I have no idea how many, or if they sent all the ones I would need for my hub.

Same story with the UK hub, we just don't know.

So you can wait for us to post updates as we know them for those items incoming.

Or you can investigate getting your money back from your credit card or bank and having them assist you.

Its a shame what has happened,but these things can happen,as you said it was wrong of him to turn on the staff so quickly,all the staff and mods here are trustyworthy %100 there is simply no other kind of staff like the ones at HDN and without them i wouldn't have my hands on some of my favourite steelbooks,hopefully we as a community and the staff can move on from this,i am confident it will get better from this,not the other way round. HDN is the best forums for steelbooks and it always will be,nothing compares.

52252-George-Carlin--This-Is-Why-We-t9bE.jpeg

So in turn, Kevin has taken(stolen) our money that we have already paid him for the steels we may not now get. This sounds completely fair and understanding.....not!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reactions: EverythingBlu
Despite the seemingly erratic behaviour of certain people, I'd like to express my thanks to Kevin, David (NM) and the rest of the HDN hubs for putting their time and effort into securing steelbooks for us that we would have no way of getting otherwise.

I'm obviously disappointed it's at an end (for the moment), but let's be grateful we ever had it in the first place. Thanks guys, it was great whilst it lasted. :oohyeah:

That's seriously sh#tty to hear! :(

Having only been on here around 5 months even I can see that Blufans have made a great deal of money from this forum reading the different threads, it would be crazy to break ties because of one person.

I do hope Blufans reads this thread, they have pleased a lot of international customers with their products, and should find away to continue doing business with HDN

Just a thought, but shipment weights are usually required for Customs entry. Surely a discrepancy of $1k's worth of steels would make a significant difference to the weight of a package? Couldn't the hub establish the number of steels shipped to him by quoting the weight from the related Customs entry documentation?

This is awful news, I really hope that everyone who is currently involved in group buys manages to resolve their situation. I think it is fair to say that members here placed a lot of trust in Blufans and especially Kevin and that Blufans wouldn't be where it is today without this forum. Of course trading on a forum is entirely based on trust and once it has gone there is no going back.

As for Blufans itself, surely those behind it have recognised the demand for their products? It's about time they cut out the middle men (no disrespect to those who have worked very hard on group buys in the past) and opened a web store that ships Worldwide. I suppose this situation isn't really their fault, but it does reflect badly on them so it is in their interests to find a long term solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.