An Open Letter to BluFans, Let's Talk about Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hi members of HiDefNinja, it is with some sadness that I write to you today about the end of an era here at HDN.

Recently a situation unfolded where one of our group buy hubs was accused of stealing a number of copies of a BluFans release, and was told that they needed to repay Kevin over $1,000 to replace the items that were lost.

The items in question represent less than 1% of the total items in a BluFans print run.

Some people would have you believe this is just a "disagreement" between HDN and Kevin.

If you are new to HDN, or perhaps just not aware of how these group buys work with BluFans - the hubs, the persons responsible for shipping out hundreds upon hundreds of steelbooks work for very little (if any) compensation. I would propose that our hubs are some of the most trustworthy members here and a great asset to this site. Often they do their best to combine shipping for you to reduce the cost in general and bring you a great release, safely packaged and delivered - such that you do not have to rely on ebay sellers or other folks that will mark these items up.

Having said that, packages sent from BluFans are done in the following way.

1) They are marked a very low value and as "plastic" cards to avoid customs
2) Tracking numbers, are rarely shared with the hubs.
3) There is no invoice or packing slip that state how many items should have been received.
4) Sometimes members are left off or missed in the creation of the lists. Meaning the count of the total items sent is not always accurate.

Therefore, as a hub on this forum, there is a level of trust that we put in not only BluFans, but also bluraysteel (Kevin) to accurately and correctly convey our responsibilities in delivering these releases to you. To give you an idea, one box (only one!) of BluFans steels can exceed $900 in total value.

These boxes are NOT insured! So what happens when items are lost, not sent, or the records are incorrect? It appears that they will come after the group buy hubs! :(

And as this trust has now been violated, as no hub now or previously (unless they keep very thorough records of every shipment made, to every member that is on their list) can completely disprove the accusation that has been made. We have nothing at our disposal that can show without a doubt what we say is true, despite the pictures on our threads of the items, the posts about when we received them, and the other information we very publicly share with you, our members, to keep you up to date.

To restate this...it has been said that one of us, one of our hubs, is not a person that can be trusted.

I've gone to great lengths to personally investigate this question and provide pictures, posts and other information that show very clearly that HDN nor our hub stole from BluFans.

I think we can all agree that we love BluFans releases. We love the package, we love their thought and care that is put into creating a wonderful collectors items. But it seems as though bluraysteel has decided to take all of his group buys somewhere else in retaliation for not sending him $1000.

I cannot stop you from supporting BluFans releases, and I'm not asking you to not buy their steelbooks. But I would like you to consider that you will not receive the support from moderators and staff members on other forums that you have received here. There likely will not be any quantity per member limits that are enforced. There will not be the hubs you have worked with so many times before. I hope there are not other challenges as well.

I would like to take this opportunity to call on BluFans, to call on Abu to replace bluraysteel as the liaison between our two forums, and to instead use someone that can work with HDN, and will not turn on HDN or our hubs so quickly.

Thank you very much for reading this thread, and I would like to personally apologize to you if this causes any trouble.

For members of my UP 3D slip hub, as far as I'm aware some of these are on the way to me currently - and if they do arrive, I will continue to assist in completing this group buy and bring you the items you paid for.

Best regards,

Andy

So sad since I like many others love my Blufans steels. I was under the impression that Kevin opted for the whole hub shipping deal to save us cash. I have had 2 of my GB steels ship directly from Blufans so it is not like they are not capable of handling the volume as far as I know.

eliminating the middle man is the way to move forward.

To do business successfully in China requires a middleman, especially low volume sales. Anyone who has dealt with a Chinese company will know what I'm talking about. Its more about a buffer of insurance than anything else.

I've never had any transactions with Kevin, but I would say that without him most of HDN would not be able to get any Blufans titles, which have become some of the most desirable steelbooks being released. Regardless of how much profit he may possibly have made, HDN have been buying out all Blufans releases despite the mark up.

I am able to buy direct from Blufans. But I can tell you every release is met with worry. I used to never know when my items were shipped, no tracking, no nothing. Basically I was in the dark about receiving my items. I jump with joy when the receptionist at my company calls me to pick up a package from the courier Blufans uses. Things have improved a lot recently at Blufans and they have brought in someone to handle shipping, and now I can at least know when my items are being shipped.

I joined HDN a few years ago, but as you can see by my post count, I wasn't really active as a member until recently. After lurking for quite a while, I decided that HDN was a great forum that I wanted to be a part of. While I'm sure that no one wanted a situation such as this, I sincerely hope that some sort of understanding can be made to continue the collaboration between Blufans and HDN.

I consider myself very lucky and proud to have gotten one of the Into Darkness steelbook tri-packs, even if it is the only Blufans steebook that I own.

I have not had any dealings with Kevin, do not join his GBs, and do not personally have anything against him, hence I never spoke up. But everyone does know that he takes a healthy commission of everyone who joins his GBs, right? Sure, you can say he is running a business, but he is very protective of his "sole" right to run GBs here. Why? Because he knows he is in a privileged front-runner position to take serious money off collectors (who may be willing to pay more for them, of course) who want BF steels and just cannot get them anywhere else, and hence done his utmost not to relinquish his pole position. So my armchair view of him is that he is in it for the money, and not for the collectors love of steel, and to stop pushing his wares to a hungry HDN market over one incident and exit completely is not business-savvy at all. Its silly, in fact.

I know most of you are grateful for his help in the past, but don't need to feel sorry for yourself, and certainly not for him. Good luck to one and all who still wants to get their hands on BF steels. I trust it will work out...

Nice, witty title, btw, apsmith :>

If that's the case, and he basically wants to be sole distributor/Middleman then that's fine, unfortunately that's not how business works. If Blufans see a drop in profits because of his actions they may not be so happy to deal through him again. They are out to make money, if he effects that, it makes good business sense to say goodbye Kevin, we will speak to the different forums directly and arrange something else.

I have not had any dealings with Kevin, do not join his GBs, and do not personally have anything against him, hence I never spoke up. But everyone does know that he takes a healthy commission of everyone who joins his GBs, right? Sure, you can say he is running a business, but he is very protective of his "sole" right to run GBs here. Why? Because he knows he is in a privileged front-runner position to take serious money off collectors (who may be willing to pay more for them, of course) who want BF steels and just cannot get them anywhere else, and hence done his utmost not to relinquish his pole position. So my armchair view of him is that he is in it for the money, and not for the collectors love of steel, and to stop pushing his wares to a hungry HDN market over one incident and exit completely is not business-savvy at all. Its silly, in fact.

I know most of you are grateful for his help in the past, but don't need to feel sorry for yourself, and certainly not for him. Good luck to one and all who still wants to get their hands on BF steels. I trust it will work out...

Nice, witty title, btw, apsmith :>

Yup I've sit back and seen it all from the beginning.

Funny thing is ... there is no reason for middle man ... people think well site is in Chinese and thus owner only speaks Mandarin. Wrong. He speaks English as well!

Just some loyalty to Kevin who has pitbulled his way in from the get-go. Kev charges members $15-20 profit per steel. I quit supporting them after FMC since they use lower quality scrap metal from runs. Thats why the run was plagued with burrs which caused paint chips.

I learned a lot from the OP.

Kev charges members $15-20 profit per steel.
This was not common knowledge. I have read hundreds of release posts (GB threads are limited to ordering only so this would never get mentioned there). My tipping him seems a bit stupid now. But I really appreciated getting these beauties in my collection and love them still. :)

I was first a member at BR.com but they never really discuss blufans GBs much, other than the info they heard at HDN! Here members are GB crazy all the time. So I've been hanging out here a lot more. There is just a lot more posting about collecting these collectibles here.

I sure hope this works out where we can get our blufans more directly and cheaper. I hate to think of what will happen if HDNation descends on ebay to get their May releases. :ohno:

Yup I've sit back and seen it all from the beginning.

Funny thing is ... there is no reason for middle man ... people think well site is in Chinese and thus owner only speaks Mandarin. Wrong. He speaks English as well!

Just some loyalty to Kevin who has pitbulled his way in from the get-go. Kev charges members $15-20 profit per steel. I quit supporting them after FMC since they use lower quality scrap metal from runs. Thats why the run was plagued with burrs which caused paint chips.

i think this is an overestimation. the price of a blufans steelbook is usually around 250-270 yuan. this is about 42-45 dollars with the best exchange rate. this doesnt include GB fees or any possible shipping fees. kevin usually charges 55 per steelbook? he does make a profit, but its probably less than 10 dollars per steelbook

Reactions: PHD, lolwut and MRD
if that's kevin's attitude then he's better off on a lower level forum!
i am not going to another forum for blu fans group buys, i don't feel like supporting them after hearing this, i can live without them (prefer kimchi anyway)
to anybody who's still waiting for BF Steels from group buy, hope it gets sorted.

It isn't s lower forum. I'm a member of both and both sites have their strengths. This site obviously is Steelbooks without a doubt. Br.com or as like to call it here tos (the other site) has deals, movie release info, and other things. There are good members that are there that are also members here. G:Box and many others. So you shouldn't slam that site. Granted it sucks that said person will be selling there but hopefully HDN can get something better and more direct here.

There is no chance mods on another site will be better than the ones on HDN. HDN has the best mods and the best steelbook community on the planet.

If anything Kevin will run into more problems on another site.

I agree with that, people are less forgiving there at times. I've already been in contact with my contacts there to keep things a breast. And there are good mods there at tos too. I'm friends with a few of them and they are more then willing to help out and listen. Granted they will have their hands full when people start going these GB's for bluray SB's over there. All I know is that it sucks for both sites really. Sucks because we lost over there. Sucks over there because well, reasons.

Reactions: lolwut
Hate to say it but I don't think this is going to get resolved anytime soon or maybe ever. Just got a PM from him regarding the GB fiasco and I'm not surprised by his response. Let's just say it was brief. I also asked him regarding the UP 3D copy I had on order and he skipped that question entirely.

Seeing how he has a GB listing going on the other site and seeing a few members here joining there I'm debating if I should too? or maybe source them thru another member here...

Last edited:
I'm half asleep and don't understand any of this. So does blufans send them all to Kevin then Kevin sends to the members? Why doesn't Kevin like us anymore? Or does he ship to someone else at hdn and he's accusing them of being naughty? My Star Trek blufans came straight from Kevin. He did charge me $20 extra I think but he said it was shipping. I paid $50 thinking that was the final price but then had to pay another $20 on top of that. A pricey steel in the end.

Anyways I really hope it gets sorted because I really want pacific rim, Thor 2 and cap America! Perhaps a petition for blufans to post worldwide?

Sad situation. However the fact that huge value items are being sent out in bulk and marked as low value to avoid customs means that this was inevitable in the long term. We all benefit from circumventing customs, us in cheaper prices and Blufans in greater order numbers. When one of these shipments goes missing en route, the seller has to accept that they didn't insure to get more custom... they can't have their cake and eat it. Hope it can be resolved.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

Hate to say it but I don't think this is going to get resolved anytime soon or maybe ever. Just got a PM from him regarding the GB fiasco and I'm not surprised by his response. Let's just say it was brief. I also asked him regarding the UP 3D copy I had on order and he skipped that question entirely.

Seeing how he has a GB listing going on the other site and seeing a few members here joining there I'm debating if I should too? or maybe source them thru another member here...

So he has some members money and is now ignoring them? Does he think two wrongs make a right?? I certainly wouldn't join his group buys on another site!

Thanks for the info. I`m sad to hear that there will be no more BluFans Steelbook GB, I was looking forward to some of the new releases. I`m also shocked to hear that theses packages had no tracking number or any insurance at all. It`s a suprise that nothing was lost before. Anyway I can`t imagine any of the Hubs steeling these so I find this accusation not very nice. It`s sad to hear that there was so little trust after so many successful GBs.

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved in the GBs, I can imagine running a hub must have been a lot of work. So as a fellow collector I appreciate all you have done to help us getting these releases.

I hope we will see these again in the future in one way or another, since I don`t plan to go to other forums to get them.

Thank you very much for informing us of this Andy. You are aces in my book. I will always support HDN. I have only ever participated in one group buy from BluFans, so it's not a big loss for me. Once again, thank you for letting us know.

Ahh man, so sad to see this happen, i was just getting into blufans releases. Also have 1 gold and 1 black slip Godfather that i needs to be shipped to me, don't think i'll receive it now :(

I hope this situation can be resolved, blufans do some great steels and would like the GB's to return. We shall see i guess :dunno:

So he changed his signature to say that he will have his own open letter to address the situation soon. Still didn't get a clear answer on UP3D.

Firstly; I'm so dissapointed and shocked about the news.

I'm am also a member of the other forum but I really never login and check that one! I logged in there and sent Kevin a message about the problem and UP3D. Waiting for his response.

That's what I think about the situation;

We are a very strong community about steelbooks. We are accepted as HDN from many retailers, correct me if I'm wrong. Blufans also aware of us 100%. Maybe mods here should send a message to their owner or whoever is responsible about the business and find a way out for HDN. There is really no need for a middleman for this anymore especially after what has happened. They can take Kimchi as an example (release day is a bit hectic at Kimchi but it can be sorted by limiting copies to 1).

So we should;

1- Contact with Blufans directly and create a new business model. Direct shipping for HDN or HDN exclusive account manager etc.
2- Need to sort things out with Kevin. Taking 1000 USD and leaving the business shouldnt be that easy. (If that's the situation and I get it right)
3- What will happen to the steels that we wait? I'm sure everyone is waiting for their copies.

Problems shoud be solved as soon as possible before Blufans releases new stuff. None of us will want to chase items on eBay for ridiculous prices I'm sure.

After all that time and business it is really sad that things are at this point but as a strong community we will find a way out. That's what I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.