An Open Letter to BluFans, Let's Talk about Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hi members of HiDefNinja, it is with some sadness that I write to you today about the end of an era here at HDN.

Recently a situation unfolded where one of our group buy hubs was accused of stealing a number of copies of a BluFans release, and was told that they needed to repay Kevin over $1,000 to replace the items that were lost.

The items in question represent less than 1% of the total items in a BluFans print run.

Some people would have you believe this is just a "disagreement" between HDN and Kevin.

If you are new to HDN, or perhaps just not aware of how these group buys work with BluFans - the hubs, the persons responsible for shipping out hundreds upon hundreds of steelbooks work for very little (if any) compensation. I would propose that our hubs are some of the most trustworthy members here and a great asset to this site. Often they do their best to combine shipping for you to reduce the cost in general and bring you a great release, safely packaged and delivered - such that you do not have to rely on ebay sellers or other folks that will mark these items up.

Having said that, packages sent from BluFans are done in the following way.

1) They are marked a very low value and as "plastic" cards to avoid customs
2) Tracking numbers, are rarely shared with the hubs.
3) There is no invoice or packing slip that state how many items should have been received.
4) Sometimes members are left off or missed in the creation of the lists. Meaning the count of the total items sent is not always accurate.

Therefore, as a hub on this forum, there is a level of trust that we put in not only BluFans, but also bluraysteel (Kevin) to accurately and correctly convey our responsibilities in delivering these releases to you. To give you an idea, one box (only one!) of BluFans steels can exceed $900 in total value.

These boxes are NOT insured! So what happens when items are lost, not sent, or the records are incorrect? It appears that they will come after the group buy hubs! :(

And as this trust has now been violated, as no hub now or previously (unless they keep very thorough records of every shipment made, to every member that is on their list) can completely disprove the accusation that has been made. We have nothing at our disposal that can show without a doubt what we say is true, despite the pictures on our threads of the items, the posts about when we received them, and the other information we very publicly share with you, our members, to keep you up to date.

To restate this...it has been said that one of us, one of our hubs, is not a person that can be trusted.

I've gone to great lengths to personally investigate this question and provide pictures, posts and other information that show very clearly that HDN nor our hub stole from BluFans.

I think we can all agree that we love BluFans releases. We love the package, we love their thought and care that is put into creating a wonderful collectors items. But it seems as though bluraysteel has decided to take all of his group buys somewhere else in retaliation for not sending him $1000.

I cannot stop you from supporting BluFans releases, and I'm not asking you to not buy their steelbooks. But I would like you to consider that you will not receive the support from moderators and staff members on other forums that you have received here. There likely will not be any quantity per member limits that are enforced. There will not be the hubs you have worked with so many times before. I hope there are not other challenges as well.

I would like to take this opportunity to call on BluFans, to call on Abu to replace bluraysteel as the liaison between our two forums, and to instead use someone that can work with HDN, and will not turn on HDN or our hubs so quickly.

Thank you very much for reading this thread, and I would like to personally apologize to you if this causes any trouble.

For members of my UP 3D slip hub, as far as I'm aware some of these are on the way to me currently - and if they do arrive, I will continue to assist in completing this group buy and bring you the items you paid for.

Best regards,

Andy

I paid my UP 3D long time ago and i dont think im gonna get my money back. So i will say no hard feelings and he can keep my money if he wants. God is watching you;)

Reactions: bd251
I paid my UP 3D long time ago and i dont think im gonna get my money back. So i will say no hard feelings and he can keep my money if he wants. God is watching you;)

If I recall correctly, I think we all made payment to Kevin as a gift/personal payment. Therefore, we have no recourse to recover our money, right? How can we ask Paypal or our bank to refund what they see was a gift from us to Kevin.

You are all being very nice about this, if I had paid £100 for steelbooks and never got them, I would be knocking on Kevin's door with a brick. That's theft and the police need to be informed. Kevin needs to post a response to resolve this now. And fulfill all outstanding orders or never trade again on any site.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Did I just say that out loud.

Reactions: PHD and jonnie123
Reading through some of the comments here, it is beginning to sound worse and worse. Let's say, completely hypothetically speaking, that one of the Hubs did appropriate the missing Steelbooks. That doesn't make it okay for Kevin to walk away from his responsibilities to the members here who have trusted him time and again. Why would he want to walk away anyway? He's one of the most revered members of the site and probably makes a healthy profit when factoring tips and such. Surely he would want to try and resolve this situation? The partnership has been so good between himself, the forum and it's members and I'm sure the amount of money is small compared to the value of some of the GBs he has run.

Anyway, even if the situation is resolved and he's allowed back here or successfully runs his group buys on the other site, I won't be taking part. For me the trust is gone, I hope HDN can make arrangements with another member and create a better system where things like this are easy to avoid.

honestly I don't like idea of turning back to HDN or KEVIN gb's is easy to accuse someone ( like many on ready did) without details. I believe same way HDN and Kevin at this point , there is always a chance of some kind of mistake (post office etc.). personaly i would prefer pay this debt as community (2$ of each members from Blufans gb) and forget about story . and we should start pay 1$ insurance fee on next gb for such a situation like this one .(remaining funds use for Ninja week) . If there is no proof of theft nobody should accuse any member here( u working on u reputation many years and in one moment you can lose it because of unfair accuse) . We should help each other not turn on in first bigger problem.

Gutted :( this would have been my first deal at HDN and I had the illusion That this could not go wrong. Luckily I only ordered one copy. Will never pay as gift again. Hope HDN will someday make a deal with Blufans again. Not for me, but for those other members who still dare to try to get thosr awrsome Blufans Steel.

I've also paid for UP3D by personal payment so long ago that there is no way to revert via neither Paypal nor bank, it's 4 months almost.

Disappointing to hear this news this morning. I hope something can be worked out so at least those are due steelbooks will still receive them.

I see some people have suggested everybody donating a small amount to cover the loss. I dont really agree with this as it would suggest one of the hubs were responsable for the loss, and wouldnt prevent a situation in the future where Kevin again demands a lump sum paid to him.

It was only a week ago i got told i was taking a risk by pre ordering Thor 2 from ebay and not using a gb as the gb is a safer option and my steelbooks would probs turn up damaged from the ebayer seller, like i said then, at least i have paypal protection on ebay if anything goes wrong. Not that i dont trust the hosts because i do and they do a great job but it just goes to shop you cant be to careful, :( im shocked at this news, very sad for blufans collectors and i hope eveeryone gets the steels they have paid for or a refund. Maybe future gb,s should add insurance or not accept gift payments.

Words honestly fail me about this..... however the support from the members here is what makes HDN what it is!

Disappointing to hear this news this morning. I hope something can be worked out so at least those are due steelbooks will still receive them.

I see some people have suggested everybody donating a small amount to cover the loss. I dont really agree with this as it would suggest one of the hubs were responsable for the loss, and wouldnt prevent a situation in the future where Kevin again demands a lump sum paid to him.

how this will suggest Hubs have something to do with this ? everyone of us ( gb Blufans members) want get steels as cheap as possible so now we should take some responsibility for this situation ( easy take or use someone little harder give back I suppose). We should stick together not accuse each other!!! otherwise we all gonna lose (HDN , BLUFANS ,KEVIN AND ALL BLUFANS Collector's)

Reactions: kaamelott
You are all being very nice about this, if I had paid £100 for steelbooks and never got them, I would be knocking on Kevin's door with a brick. That's theft and the police need to be informed. Kevin needs to post a response to resolve this now. And fulfill all outstanding orders or never trade again on any site.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Did I just say that out loud.

The temptation to quickly rise to anger like the HULK is certainly there but I just think it is still too early in this developing situation to do so. I am more in a state of shock than anything else.
I agree that Kevin will need to communicate with HDN members fairly soon but we should allow him some time to properly formulate his response.
I am trying very hard not to jump to conclusions but that is not the same thing as being too nice, as you indicate.

Reactions: lolwut and bd251
heres what we have to endure constantly:

- massive delays on almost every release, while having to pay way in advance
- poor quality control as almost every release is faulty (collectibility&resale value go down drastically)
- horrible overprices for sometimes only an extra piece of paper (why do we have to pay shipping costs twice ? once for shipping to the hub and then again from hub to us ? were losing a lot of money here again)

and now after a million of sold copies to hdn, they turn the back on us due to idk 20 copies that have been lost

they should kiss our feet for our patience and support, instead they accuse us of stealing their items... srsly just **** off

Well this is great!

I registered at the other forum simply to PM Kevin and got a response that didn't quite answer all of my questions (specifically, when mine will arrive and if I should post in my hub that I will not be receiving for other members or not) but now, when I try to respond to the PM, I get an error saying that because I am a new member I cannot start new threads.

I'm not trying to start a thread, I'm trying to respond to a PM I received! ARGH!!!

if you paid by paypal goods, you have 180 days to open a claim, per paypal policy

Taken from Paypal website:

1. Claims can only be made for physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited
  2. Buyers must raise a dispute within 45 days of a single PayPal payment for the full price of the item. If no satisfactory response is received from the seller, a claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute
    [*]
    Buyers cannot make multiple claims on the same payment
  3. Please note that if the seller has accurately described an item, but you’re just not happy with it, that doesn’t qualify for Purchase Protection
  4. Other eligibility requirements apply.

I know you're trying to be helpful but please be more careful in future on what you post. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: lolwut and mnementh
Status
Not open for further replies.