4k Completion gaps in collection thread.

Nov 25, 2020
So there is a thread atm about movies that need steelbooks but don't have one.

I am stealing the idea. What directors do you love that have glaring 4k Steelbook gaps in their filmography. Kicking off

Nolan and Memento. I know we are getting a nice new steel, but why no 4k?

The Abyss so much more. I fear it'll be theatrical only though, as that special edition ending was never finished properly and looks like absolute dogsh!t. Shame, because it's a far better cut
Special edition was finished a long time ago.
I saw the premiere at USC film school with Cameron and ILM in attendance talking about finishing the film.
The Special Edition Laserdisc was fantastic as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Terminator
Obviously
Aliens
same as above
Blade II & Trinity
we got that Collectors Edition the first then nothing
Demolition Man
they literally doing a new Steelbook yet no 4k
The Ring
yet again recently got a Steelbook but no 4K
The Grudge (2004)
I don't think this even has a UK release on Blu-ray
American Pie 1,2,3,4
the Blu-ray's don't have a great transfer for those films so it could really benefit from a new fresh 4k scan
Final Destination series
Mainly the first few, but 4k + Atmos/DTSX, Need I say more?
Enemy of the State
Yeah that's not gonna happen now.

There's loads :(

Bit different but I watched T2 in 3D with a bunch of mates tonight and tbh it looked better than most 4K films. We were all pretty confused but also in absolute awe and amazement too

Rivalled guardians, Lego movie, avatar and Dredd considering when it was made and just in comparison to how good those others also looked in 3D (some of the better 3D films I can remember anyway - maybe a few Pixar too)

Special edition was finished a long time ago.
I saw the premiere at USC film school with Cameron and ILM in attendance talking about finishing the film.
The Special Edition Laserdisc was fantastic as well.
I've seen the dvd, laserdisc and hdtv special editions, they all looked like sequential versions of dogsh!t lol if it has actually been finished properly since, winner. I'd be so hyped to see it.

Special Edition Laserdisc was fantastic as well.
Gotta remind that Laserdisc looks like VHS 'dogshite' to people now. :D

I don't mind though, and would rather watch a worse transfer, than a worse version of the film.
Case in point - recent Avatar.

I also became disenchanted with so called '4k' a while ago - I don't like HDR, I hate 'color correction' they're doing, and I don't like most transfers.
Case in point - Training Day. Or Heat.

The obvious one is Cameron with The Abyss and True Lies.....
And Terminator, and Aliens, and a better T2 lol..
Bit different but I watched T2 in 3D with a bunch of mates tonight and tbh it looked better than most 4K films. We were all pretty confused but also in absolute awe and amazement too

Rivalled guardians, Lego movie, avatar and Dredd considering when it was made and just in comparison to how good those others also looked in 3D (some of the better 3D films I can remember anyway - maybe a few Pixar too)
At the cinema Avatar is still honestly the only movie I ever really properly felt wowed by in 3d. Like several scenes where people audibly gasped.

Gotta remind that Laserdisc looks like VHS 'dogshite' to people now. :D

I don't mind though, and would rather watch a worse transfer, than a worse version of the film.
Case in point - recent Avatar.

I also became disenchanted with so called '4k' a while ago - I don't like HDR, I hate 'color correction' they're doing, and I don't like most transfers.
Case in point - Training Day. Or Heat.
The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

Terminator
Obviously
Aliens
same as above
Blade II & Trinity
we got that Collectors Edition the first then nothing
Demolition Man
they literally doing a new Steelbook yet no 4k
The Ring
yet again recently got a Steelbook but no 4K
The Grudge (2004)
I don't think this even has a UK release on Blu-ray
American Pie 1,2,3,4
the Blu-ray's don't have a great transfer for those films so it could really benefit from a new fresh 4k scan
Final Destination series
Mainly the first few, but 4k + Atmos/DTSX, Need I say more?
Enemy of the State
Yeah that's not gonna happen now.

There's loads :(
So you love all those directors....? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: TGO
Duncan Jones

Moon, Source Code, and Warcraft have UHD releases and steelbooks, not necessarily at once, but available.

Mute, however, doesn't even have a Blu-ray, no physical release at all!

Neill Blomkamp

District 9, Elysium, and Chappie all thankfully have UHD and steelbook releases.

Demonic has no 4K or steel, I bought a German BD mediabook.

Not a director, but a title gap: I’m still hoping for King King (1933) to get a 4K release. But I’m not holding my breath.