4k vs Blu Ray: Blu Ray now obsolete?

Most stuff I have on blu-ray I don't plan to upgrade to 4k if they come out in that format. I have loads of stuff on laserdisc I never upgraded to HD and won't either. Certain classic films yes I would upgrade to 4k, for example. Night of the Demon, Dracula Prince of Darkness, Bride of Frankenstein, The Blob 1988, The Thing 1982 to name a few could most certainly get my attention in 4k. Is physical media dead? No. Any studio worth their salt is going to maximise its sales across all platforms wether it's physical or digital media. Nobody is going to stop any outlet that brings in money. As posted above you own your physical discs, you don't own any digital stuff you have and that is never going to change.

And I can see another problem arising in years to come. Editing or cuts to your favourite film or show because of The PC brigade. Don't believe me?. I can imagine a conversation in a few years going like this. Bloke rings up his service provider to find out why his copy of Forbidden Planet in not on his server. The rep replies "I'm sorry sir we had to delete your copy as it's now on our banned list". "Pardon"? Rep: "Well Sir under the 2026 Equity laws we now have to have an equal amount of white and non-white actors in TV and film productions and I'm afraid the film breaks the rules. In case you haven't noticed the cast is all white males". Bloke "But Robby is black!". Rep: "I'm afraid that doesn't count.". Bloke: Well I want my money back. Rep: Sorry sir but under the terms of your contract you signed up for any digital content that can be withdrawn without warning" "Have a nice day!"

You get the picture and I can see anyone with digital media getting hammered a hundred different ways. That was (I hope) just a joke example!

Reactions: C.C. 95
Most stuff I have on blu-ray I don't plan to upgrade to 4k if they come out in that format. I have loads of stuff on laserdisc I never upgraded to HD and won't either. Certain classic films yes I would upgrade to 4k, for example. Night of the Demon, Dracula Prince of Darkness, Bride of Frankenstein, The Blob 1988, The Thing 1982 to name a few could most certainly get my attention in 4k. Is physical media dead? No. Any studio worth their salt is going to maximise its sales across all platforms wether it's physical or digital media. Nobody is going to stop any outlet that brings in money. As posted above you own your physical discs, you don't own any digital stuff you have and that is never going to change.

And I can see another problem arising in years to come. Editing or cuts to your favourite film or show because of The PC brigade. Don't believe me?. I can imagine a conversation in a few years going like this. Bloke rings up his service provider to find out why his copy of Forbidden Planet in not on his server. The rep replies "I'm sorry sir we had to delete your copy as it's now on our banned list". "Pardon"? Rep: "Well Sir under the 2026 Equity laws we now have to have an equal amount of white and non-white actors in TV and film productions and I'm afraid the film breaks the rules. In case you haven't noticed the cast is all white males". Bloke "But Robby is black!". Rep: "I'm afraid that doesn't count.". Bloke: Well I want my money back. Rep: Sorry sir but under the terms of your contract you signed up for any digital content that can be withdrawn without warning" "Have a nice day!"

You get the picture and I can see anyone with digital media getting hammered a hundred different ways. That was (I hope) just a joke example!
Also - Streaming services are a completely different contractual arrangement, separate from physical. Securing certain rights for streaming are separate from physical.
If you watch WHEN HARRY MET SALLY on Amazon Prime - it won't have all the original music. (They even replaced the finale music! It is no longer Sinatra singing "It had to be you", but some anonymous saxophone jazz!). Many of the Harry Connick, Jr. songs are gone too in the streaming version.
Needless to say: MANY people wanted their money back.

• Informative
Reactions: Wreck
Being in the UK I have access to Sky for all of our TV viewing, I have a Sky Q system which has 2 satellite feeds along with an internet connection. With it you can record and download content. It is also UHD so upscales all channels I believe. There is some UHD content available. Netflix is also on there.
At Christmas we have a tradition of watching certain films. A couple of them I have on DVD, the last DVD's I own. The last few years Sky had these films available as a download as part of the Movie package I have. This year lo and behold they were £4 each to watch.
As above my point is streaming providers can do what they want with the content.
If you own the disc it's yours

1080p is just fine for MANY, MANY, MANY releases. I like 4k only with HDR or Dolby Vision (HDR10 and DV are pretty much the same)

I dont cringe at blu-rays like I do at DVDs so I have MANY blu's in my collection and many i dont plan on ever replacing with 4k counterparts.

Also what I do when and where possible is if the 4k edition doesnt look snazzy etc. and if I own a blu-ray steelbook for said title I then take the 4k disc and put it inside the steelbook and label it as such so its still just easy to find, saves space, and makes my steelbook even more of an ultimate edition. A lot of 4k editions of older releases do not include all the special features that blu-ray came with when they had a 2nd disc etc. the 4k is usually the 4k disc and blu-ray disc only. (not the 2nd special feature disc)

I use these to make the magic happen.

https://shop.hidefninja.com/products/disc-hub-insert
https://shop.hidefninja.com/products/uhd-steelbook-protectors
https://shop.hidefninja.com/products/uhd-steelbook-protectors-50-pack

Reactions: C.C. 95 and DrH
1080p is just fine for MANY, MANY, MANY releases. I like 4k only with HDR or Dolby Vision (HDR10 and DV are pretty much the same)

I dont cringe at blu-rays like I do at DVDs so I have MANY blu's in my collection and many i dont plan on ever replacing with 4k counterparts.

Also what I do when and where possible is if the 4k edition doesnt look snazzy etc. and if I own a blu-ray steelbook for said title I then take the 4k disc and put it inside the steelbook and label it as such so its still just easy to find, saves space, and makes my steelbook even more of an ultimate edition. A lot of 4k editions of older releases do not include all the special features that blu-ray came with when they had a 2nd disc etc. the 4k is usually the 4k disc and blu-ray disc only. (not the 2nd special feature disc)

I use these to make the magic happen.

https://shop.hidefninja.com/products/disc-hub-insert
https://shop.hidefninja.com/products/uhd-steelbook-protectors
https://shop.hidefninja.com/products/uhd-steelbook-protectors-50-pack
I feel the need to note that HDR10 and Dolby Vision ARE different. (But both great).
HDR10 is "static" metadata - so color, and luminence are set for the entire movie.
Dolby Vision employs "dynamic" metadata - where color, and luminescence is able to change from scene to scene.
Of course the success of each depends on the author....so you may have an HDR10 disc that could look better than DV.
But dynamic metadata allows for much more control over the image dynamics than HDR10 (and a wider color palette with higher bit rate)